Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

lighter car vs heavier car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

The Xray is the lightest car but with the release of the new JQ car it is probably pretty close. I know both the JQ car and the Xray car are just over the legal limit. I will weigh mine tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
The Xray is the lightest car but with the release of the new JQ car it is probably pretty close. I know both the JQ car and the Xray car are just over the legal limit. I will weigh mine tomorrow.
yeah they barely pass weight limit
Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by VWVR6_T
I dont see how a heavier car will be more faster and/or more traction than the lighter cat. I'm sure engine need to work a little harded to move the weight. Something is wrong with the lighter car set up.
+ 1

if a heavier car is faster for someone, maybe it's just because they can drive them to the limit more. then passing to a lighter one they cannot drive it too hard because the limit is further and car seems too fats.
The question about concistency is a personal factor IMO (as well as setup ability), does not determine an heavier car to be faster or easier.
Let's face it, it's just a matter of potential of performance (favourable to lighter cars, physics says it), and driving talent to use every bit of that potential.
Have you ever seen a top driver say << i feel the car too light, let's add some ballast in strategic points to better it up>> ???
In real car motorsports every car is built to stay way under the weight limit and then they add weight where is needed.
In RC racing I've always seen upgrades towards lighter cars and parts (accordingly to stress resistance), so i think that is the right direction to reach performances.

Just my though

Fabio
Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A properly setup lighter car will be quicker, faster, handle better, get better fuel economy and be easier to drive when setup correctly. This is not specific to RC cars this is for ALL cars.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

There is no perfect buggy or truggy that performs awesome on all tracks. It all boils down to your driving style. Me like like my truck to have some weight. I dont like all the lightweight components.
XLosiguy likes this.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Lighter car: Better Accel, More nimble, a fraction quicker generally.. Not always the most consistent, + more

Heavier car: Better in the bumps generally, can be more consistent/easier to drive. More planted, Suspension seems to work better in a way.. + more

I have run a Hyper 8.5-Heavist of the lot.. then Hyper 9 now a Xray 808 09 spec.. and each car has gotten better, and I have become faster. Some cars suit people better.. I love the Xray.. i'm really starting to work well with it now.. But for some people it maybe too light.. and they prefer a heavier more planted car that. Will be a tad easier to drive and be consistent with. Im not going to lye the Hyper 8.5 went/goes through the bumps very well.. which is alot to do with the weight.. it soaks them up like butter.. the Hyper 9 would be all over.. Xray is very planted for such a light car.. but alot will depend on setup. As the heavier car, looks like the shocks work alot better.. over the rough stuff, I think alot of it boils down to YOU the driver.. and how YOU drive.. each have there + and - in my view.. just have to pick which suits you better..
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Champion

It's fairly simple. This is a track dependent issue.

Given the same generic tire/width..

If you run a packed track chances are the lighter car will be faster.
If you run a loamy loose track chances are the heavier car will be faster.

Both scenarios relate to transition time between when you hit the throttle and when the wheels start gripping and moving the car forward.
When you have traction you need to lose the weight. When you need to develop traction you want the weight.

YMMV per tire choice.

If you want to validate this ask any experienced 2wd off-road driver. The stopwatch does not lie.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i prefer heavier cars. the are like a freight train threw the bumps, more consistant, dont want to traction roll in the corners as easily. i have drive all sorts of cars, light, heavy, fat pigs, and i always go back to a heavier car.

and those of you saying "light cars are faster" you are actually wrong, that is not always true, the car is only as fast as the driver, lets take a mugen mb5 vs mb6. the 6 is noticably lighter, yes, the 5 is running small bore shocks, yes, but with the same driver, he was actually 2 tenths of a second fast around the track with the 5.

but to each their own.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I went from a heavy jammin to a xb808 and was alot faster and im just a sportsman driver that only races a few times a year.For me it wasnt the cornering that a lighter car helped me with,it is the jumping,which I struggled alot with when I drove heavier cars.So for me the lighter car is better everywere.To each his on.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I prefer a lighter car personally.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Prophet

it does depend on, what kind of track surface you run on like me i race on a dusty hard packed track that can get loose. i do like the jumping a lighter truggy/buggy has it, is easyier but they can be a handfull when the track is loose and rutty and dry .

i use to have, a hyper 7 that was a tank i did like it better because it was planted and, you can drive the hell out of it in and out of the corners.

i think if you get, a 1/8 that has the engine going toward the front that is heavyier i think i would be pretty good.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've added weight to my RC8B....shows you what I know...LOL

However, the hottest wheels at my track say it couldn't be better...and some of these are names you would know.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Tech Addict

A Lighter car is faster , However what no-one seems to have mentioned and what does have a larger bearing on things is the fact that setup changes have more of a dramatic effect on a lighter car, (so much easier to get wrong and go the wrong way), which is probably why a lot of drivers find a heavier, may I say dulled down car feels easier.
Lighter car though once setup can be much easier to drive than a heavier car, no matter what the surface or terrain
Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

A properly setup light car is faster than a properly setup heavy car.
RCDaddy2105 likes this.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Alan D.
A properly setup light car is faster than a properly setup heavy car.
+ 2 - It's all in the set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.