R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #31
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it. I still wont use it under normal circumstances but there are people that swear by it and I HAD to use it once.

It was a big 1/8th onroad race. I was running a new, somewhat experimental motor I had got a few weeks before and it was GREAT all through practice. Unfortunately in the last practice, just before qualifying it suffered a catastrophic piston failure (a nice, almost perfectly square hole right in the middle of the piston).
That is a main problem with our motors, there is always chance of a failure and there are to much tolerances. If you want to use the right break-in procedure you have to know stuf like the tightness of the pinch, the materials and the piston surface roughness so you can make a plan in several steps how to break in.

The heatcicle has a meaning. When heating up and cooling down the copper in the piston can flow out making the piston grow, with every start the grow will be taken care off while with the normal WOT running 1 or 2 liter at one time this effect will be less keeping a tichter pinch at the end.

But you will never know the used materials which can change with different production series and also with the the wideness of tolerances you will always get different results with running in.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #32
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
Dude i was the one who taught hara how to race like he races. He doesnt run the o.s. worlds. He takes a go and put the worlds head over it.
LMAO

that's why he's not winning anymore
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO View Post
LMAO

that's why he's not winning anymore
everyone goes through those periods of time. I know one thing for sure he would still whoop teh sh** out of me
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've done the WOT method...longevity was fine.

Only recommendation would be to install 1.1 springs if you're not already running them.

Things can get pretty hectic and bouncy...you're doing many things at once.
cordarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
ewwww. I love the Go's. Im just gonna do 12-15 tanks on it like they said
Wrap the head with whatever, I use a bandana and a rubber band.

I like to lean the bottom to keep it runing and raise the idle some too, heat it, fire it up, let it idle for a tank, shut it off just before it's really low on fuel, make sure the piston is free, let it cool....

On the second tank, heat it up, fir it up, let it idle only for the first half of the tank then slowly giving it some trigger, not much 1/4 throttle and richening the top to keep the rpms down put it on the ground drive it around gently with plenty of room to be safe and relaxed, I like to do it at night personally, but the day is fine just watch the temps, not too hot, not too cold..

Finish off the tank, then remove the head wrap and let cool check piston...

Heat it up, fire it up, drive it around gently and you can feel it freeing up slightly and you can give it 3/4 throttle but don't be afraid to let it idle a bit to let it cool if you have leaned the top even 2 hours...
Run out the tank, let it cool bla bla..

Heat it up, fire it up drive it around and lean the top an hour each tank for two tanks, let it cool.

heat, fire, drive it around with it still slightly rich where it will drive but not fast for 3 tanks continuous leaning it only enough to get to 3/4 speed, you may need to fatten the bottom end back as you make med length passes with long turns, and if it idles high drop the idle back to normal, then check the bottom end...

then run it for 5-6 consecutive tanks leaning it slightly until it runs fairly fast, but still fat enough to keep the temps down around 200-210..

Final tuning is done at the end of 18 tanks or 1/2 gallon.

Then take it to the track and tune it a bit more, but give it plenty of time to heat up before hammering on it, and it doesn't hurt to be nice to it all day, after the first race day it has about 1 gallon on it, or 3/4 gallon and it just about perfect.......
Old 08-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Well, D8 is the world champ and GOs are just Nova clones so who knows, it just might be.
nope, the main intake on a Nova is larger. Design wise, the Nova is superb. Functionality? Both are similiar, but the GO doesn't induce any guilt when attempting to try something stupid on the track
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok View Post
nope, the main intake on a Nova is larger. Design wise, the Nova is superb. Functionality? Both are similiar, but the GO doesn't induce any guilt when attempting to try something stupid on the track
What do you mean by doesnt induce guilt?

Well i got it done. I missed 2 qualifiers but still got it done=) thanks for the help guys
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote