Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
CNC VS CARBON FIBER >

CNC VS CARBON FIBER

CNC VS CARBON FIBER

Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Prophet

i wouldnt get anything chassis, or shock tower carbon fiber inless you are a pretty driver and you dont crash a lot at all ! for 80% that maybe are ok drivers or good alum shock, towers and chassis holds up real good.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
i wouldnt get anything chassis, or shock tower carbon fiber inless you are a pretty driver and you dont crash a lot at all ! for 80% that maybe are ok drivers or good alum shock, towers and chassis holds up real good.
yea but i will vouch a xray carbon fiber tower can take a pretty hard hit not saying ive done it before
Old 08-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
yea but i will vouch a xray carbon fiber tower can take a pretty hard hit not saying ive done it before

well i used to race electric tc, and ran a carbon fiber chassis and the supension arms also and, boy it drove me crazy if i just barely hit a wall and the arms or the carriers break.

no my 1/10 xxx-t has carbon, suspension arms and never broke but thats a 1/10 scale also.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
I am a very pretty driver!

+1 to that! XRAY's carbon is the best stuff out there
Old 08-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Jaz240

i meant pretty good driver lol.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

scuff those suckers and but on some ca glue and they are almost aluminum lol.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Tech Lord

looks arent the point in aluminum or carbon fiber, looks are the last of my worries lol a nice body makes anything look good.
I wasn't talking about aluminum and CF, I was talking about magnesium. I said aluminum because a newb would get a mag part, but think it was a god awful looking aluminum part and bitch and moan about how crappy it looks.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

CARBON alll the way , if you get a hold of good quallity CF thats LAID right (no pun intended ) you will have no problems . good carbon is very very strong and ya not gunna have easy breakages and if ya do break sumthing u would have hit sumthing super hard and busted alot of other things on the car . iv just finished a full carbon fiber SC10 and bash the hell out of it . have not busted anything carbon on it . also depending on what ya using it for like example a chassis , u can make it flex a fair bit befor it breaks. plus having sumthing thats alot lighter than alloy is the way to go , lighter is allways faster .
Old 08-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Technically, I'm man-pretty

+1! I remember on the XRAY forums a couple years back there was someone who ended up crashing his 808 twice, and both times the impact was such that the top part of the front gearbox was sheared right off, but the c/f shock tower was intact. THAT was a perfect example of the strength of carbon, and clever engineering on behalf of XRAY: rather than have the expensive (over $60) tower break, the load is transmitted to the gearbox, which is far cheaper to replace.

The thing that I think escapes most people is that all carbon fiber is NOT created equal: some companies do it right and this is reflected in the price of the part, while others skimp on the epoxy or use fiberglass dyed to look like carbon, or a mixture of both. Consequently, you can have a part that looks like genuine carbon fiber but is far weaker.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by captain america
Technically, I'm man-pretty

+1! I remember on the XRAY forums a couple years back there was someone who ended up crashing his 808 twice, and both times the impact was such that the top part of the front gearbox was sheared right off, but the c/f shock tower was intact. THAT was a perfect example of the strength of carbon, and clever engineering on behalf of XRAY: rather than have the expensive (over $60) tower break, the load is transmitted to the gearbox, which is far cheaper to replace.

The thing that I think escapes most people is that all carbon fiber is NOT created equal: some companies do it right and this is reflected in the price of the part, while others skimp on the epoxy or use fiberglass dyed to look like carbon, or a mixture of both. Consequently, you can have a part that looks like genuine carbon fiber but is far weaker.
++1