R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Engine pre-warming

I was looking at the Competition Heat engine warmer and like it, just wondering if any of you guys use anything different. The fact that it's AC power is a little inconvenient. :\

Thanks.
heavyjeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjeffd View Post
I was looking at the Competition Heat engine warmer and like it, just wondering if any of you guys use anything different. The fact that it's AC power is a little inconvenient. :\

Thanks.
They are making one now that will work off 12v like a bump box are a Lipo battery.
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Tech Elite

On of the pro guys here will not start his engine with out this warmer. He is one that I would trust.If he say get it, I would get it.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenova70ss View Post
They are making one now that will work off 12v like a bump box are a Lipo battery.
Who is? Not the one with the lightbulb and the fan right? Not really interested in that one.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Do you guys really notice an increase in engine life using an engine warmer? I just got a new os engine and I was surprised how much pinch it has when cold, and how all the pinch seems to be gone once it's warm, so the pre-heat makes a lot of sense, I am just curious what it actually does for engine life.
MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Tech Elite

It helps a lot, it keeps you from having a lot of metal on metal grinding. For newer/high performance motors it's a must.

After a couple of gallons it's not a big deal.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Tech Master

I just thought of a H1 car bulb to preheat an engine. Turn the car upside down and the engine will heat up quickly. That bulb uses 12V / 55 W and no fan to heat up all the plastic parts
I miss you Amy...
Lille-bror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
It helps a lot, it keeps you from having a lot of metal on metal grinding. For newer/high performance motors it's a must.

After a couple of gallons it's not a big deal.
Even after a couple of gallons there are still huge advantages to pre heating your engine, wear and tear is still a factor, but a huge advantage is hitting the track ready to go with a pre heated engine. It is no different than in the upper levels of motorsports or even Moto X, every one of these racing engines are pre heated, and for good reason.

Competition Heat Inc will have a 12V Comp heater available in Sept. The way we have been testing is a seperate 11.1v 3 cell Lipo in the starter box, and it works awesome, just like the 120v Comp heater, but now you can be mobile with it.
CompetitionHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompetitionHeat View Post
Even after a couple of gallons there are still huge advantages to pre heating your engine, wear and tear is still a factor, but a huge advantage is hitting the track ready to go with a pre heated engine. It is no different than in the upper levels of motorsports or even Moto X, every one of these racing engines are pre heated, and for good reason.

Competition Heat Inc will have a 12V Comp heater available in Sept. The way we have been testing is a seperate 11.1v 3 cell Lipo in the starter box, and it works awesome, just like the 120v Comp heater, but now you can be mobile with it.
I just ordered your AC heater, will there be a wire or something you can buy so you can use existing ones with DC power via the quick disconnect?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
I just ordered your AC heater, will there be a wire or something you can buy so you can use existing ones with DC power via the quick disconnect?
Thanks for your order Jeff... You can purchase a DC/AC inverter (100 watts) they are very inexpensive, check out Power Bright AC/DC inverters, they make one that looks like carbon fiber and is very small (3 1/2 x 2 7/8) I believe I paid 25 bucks for it off the web.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Ah so the current one won't be DC compatible at all? No worries, would have been cool though.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Ah so the current one won't be DC compatible at all? No worries, would have been cool though.
Our 120v Comp heater is compatible with DC if you purchase a power inverter. Of course our new 12v will be just that.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

You can always bring a car battery and inverter with you. It will run off that no problem. A few locals took a wagon and mounted the battery and inverter to it with 2 outlets....and a board up top to carry all their equipment down to pit row. They leave the competition Heat heater on there until they start their car for the race....and the car battery will last all day easily. Heater only draws 50 or 60W.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
You can always bring a car battery and inverter with you. It will run off that no problem. A few locals took a wagon and mounted the battery and inverter to it with 2 outlets....and a board up top to carry all their equipment down to pit row. They leave the competition Heat heater on there until they start their car for the race....and the car battery will last all day easily. Heater only draws 50 or 60W.
You are correct MotoGod. How are things going. We still would like to get over and race with you guy's before the year is over, but it's been pretty busy at Comp Heat.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Things are going great with the track. The new layout rocks....drivers seem to be happy. We just need more drivers....this heat is killing us ;-) Now if I can just keep my Buggy together for an entire 20 min main....I might actually be fast. haha

That first round Competition Heater is still used and working like a champ I tell ya! I still get a ton of guys asking just what the weird contraption on my engine is for though. haha 5 gallons and counting on the Alpha....running in tip top shape thanks in part to my heater
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote