R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   fuel line length (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/424759-fuel-line-length.html)

rcdude236 08-10-2010 10:00 PM

fuel line length

Ok from some people i hear to run 1ft of fuel line. Others asy shortest as possbile, then ive ha a guy tell me that if you keep the length of both lines the same it will be more consistant tuning. What do you guys recommend i do? Thanks

jmaxey51 08-10-2010 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by rcdude236 (Post 7789479)
Ok from some people i hear to run 1ft of fuel line. Others asy shortest as possbile, then ive ha a guy tell me that if you keep the length of both lines the same it will be more consistant tuning. What do you guys recommend i do? Thanks

mine is super short. i always run short as possible simply because when i was running long fuel line i had tuning issues all the time and it either ripped or got down in the flywheel and ruined my race day. also if you run long fuel line and run out of fuel during your main, your screwed, it takes forever to get fuel back to the carb, its not worth 10-15 seconds more run time to me. if i run out of fuel it takes 5 seconds tops to get it started. mine is as short as possible, people mess with me for that but im pitting at the same time as them and i never have fuel line related issues. mine is 6 inches tops thats giving it a little extra hahah.

wingracer 08-10-2010 10:45 PM

If you don't have a clunk tank, you are going to need a little more than shortest possible or the thing will stall very quick when upside down.

jmaxey51 08-10-2010 10:49 PM

oh yeah kinda forgot, i have an D8 so thats why i run mine so short. :lol: since i have a clunk

ScottyM 08-11-2010 12:37 AM

I've seen guys run them as short as possible, to all 3 feet of a package wrapped around the truck.. If you don't beleive me I'll get you pictures this weekend.. The one with a on of line, doesn't seem to have any more trouble with tuning then anyone else, but we also start racing in the sun and end up after dark, adn the tune changes dramatically no matter the time of year..

Roelof 08-11-2010 01:33 AM

Fuelline does create some resistance, the longer it is the more resistance it has. Getting fuel into the engine is done by 2 way's, sucking by the engine and pushing by the backpressure. athough it is an almost closed system the backpressure needs to get bigger to overcome the resistance of a longer fuelline.

In short terms: a shorter fuelline (and backpressure line) does create a faster responding engine which is easier to tune.

Nilks 08-11-2010 02:26 AM

My experience is that the tune keeps more consistent with long fuel line and pressure line.

awdcameolsx 08-11-2010 02:38 AM

My experience is the best way to run it is whatever the manufacturer suggests. If its gota clunk, its going to be short, and if not its going be longish. They suggest it for a reasons like keeping it away from heat, keep it away from things that can tear it, and keep enough fuel in there for when your upside down. Just my personal opinion.

merdith6 08-11-2010 02:48 AM

goo question

I run mine out of the tank around the air filter neck, into the fuel filter on the side of the tank and around the tank and into to front of the carb.....

I didn't mean goo question, good question........

NitroXray80809 08-11-2010 03:52 AM

what u mean if its got a clunk run shorter mine is a d8 with fironi line and a gas cooling filter i run the lenth they give u on the clunk with the fironi line then i cut the rest in half and use it on my exhaust and fuel line including the cooling filter..Is that bad to run kinda long with a clunk???

neobart 08-11-2010 05:28 AM

Not bad, it's just pointless. There's no need to run a long fuel line when the tank has a clunk. I run a Losi so my fuel line is as short as possible, the pressure line is about 8 inches.

token 08-11-2010 05:51 AM

I run it exactly like my manual say run it. And I have yet to have any problems tuning, staying running ect..... I think its funny that guys claim to get better this and better that. Nonsense. Its funny when you get to a big race and there is 300 entries and out of the 300, some guy has 300 feet of fuel line, tuning, looking like he really knows what hes doing.:smile::lol:

One thing I do is look and observe other people cars. You get latest setup, different ideas that may be home made but works, new products ect.... I still have yet to see a car with 612 yards of fuel tube. PLUS HUM, ITS AGAINST THE LAW. Go try to run that crap at a big race that is teched.

Just saying.......:lol::lol:

NitroXray80809 08-11-2010 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by token (Post 7790537)
I run it exactly like my manual say run it. And I have yet to have any problems tuning, staying running ect..... I think its funny that guys claim to get better this and better that. Nonsense. Its funny when you get to a big race and there is 300 entries and out of the 300, some guy has 300 feet of fuel line, tuning, looking like he really knows what hes doing.:smile::lol:

One thing I do is look and observe other people cars. You get latest setup, different ideas that may be home made but works, new products ect.... I still have yet to see a car with 612 yards of fuel tube. PLUS HUM, ITS AGAINST THE LAW. Go try to run that crap at a big race that is teched.

Just saying.......:lol::lol:

lol i can see the techs seein that and just laughing :lol: mine isnt long i see people running way more than me but i think im ganna shortin it. Heres a pic of mine i havent ran it yet so u guys decide how bad it is:lol::lol: its not extreamly long but its not just a straight line..lol
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...pandvid009.jpg

tc5 man 08-11-2010 01:08 PM

well im using a 8 inch piece, fuel line for my pipe and for the carb the fuel line is just long enough to reach the carb outlet.

808gx7r 08-11-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 (Post 7792030)
lol i can see the techs seein that and just laughing :lol: mine isnt long i see people running way more than me but i think im ganna shortin it. Heres a pic of mine i havent ran it yet so u guys decide how bad it is:lol::lol: its not extreamly long but its not just a straight line..lol
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...pandvid009.jpg

that your "spare" buggy in the backround?