Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Fuel Gun Maintenance...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Losi Fuel Gun Maintenance...

I know that as soon as fuel hits the o-rings they start to go bad, and you are not supposed to leave the gun with fuel, because it will only make the orings go bad faster.

Do you guys clean the fuel residue rinsing it with something?? Any maintenance tips?? I might have used my gun for two or three races and it's already starting to leak... I did pick up the rebuild kit, but wanted to know if there are any preventive maintenance I can do to make them last longer.....
Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toiffel
Any maintenance tips??
yea....throw it in the trash can! Those things are JUNK! I have one, a brand new one and it leaks like theres no tomorrow!! I used it twice and its collecting dust in my building. If somebody knows what they are doing, just a regular fuel bottle can be just as fast, if not faster!

I would take the rebuild kit back and get a refund if you bought from a LHS and get a fuel bottle
Old 08-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just rebuilt mine and the 2 o-rings in the trigger are a real PITA. The second one kept squeezing out and would not stay in the groove. I finally got it after about 30 minutes.

Also, are you sure it wasn't fuel coming from the air inlets? Once you get fuel in them, it will come out. and acts like a leak.
And yea, the quality of this gun is poor IMO.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you grease up the o-rings and keep them greased up, it's actually one of the best guns out there. At the level I'm at they're just to much hassle to be worth it. Any advantage gained in the pit is easily thrown away by my driving skills......or lack thereof.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
yea....throw it in the trash can! Those things are JUNK! I have one, a brand new one and it leaks like theres no tomorrow!! I used it twice and its collecting dust in my building. If somebody knows what they are doing, just a regular fuel bottle can be just as fast, if not faster!

I would take the rebuild kit back and get a refund if you bought from a LHS and get a fuel bottle

Oh god not the old fuel gun Vs Bottle Debate.

The Pro's use fuel guns for a REASON....they ARE Faster Period.

On a side note...My losi gun is over 2 year's old and still holds fuel Just fine with Very minimal leaking at first when the gun pressurizes.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

mmmh grease... hadn't thought about it yet. I was castor-oiling the dang thing twice per race day to make sure it leaks a little less, but I will try grease, makes sense

Paul
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

I dont know but I was told that they leak when you first put fuel in them. The fuel causes the orings to swell which creates the seal. I seen with my own two eyes, a kid putting fuel in the gun and it leaked real bad and after about 20-30 seconds it slowed and finally stopped......

But getting pitted by two pros - fuel gun is faster than a bottle and with out the bog. When a pit man fuels to fast with a bottle, it bogs down the engine a tad bit, a fuel gun does not do this.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Jammin krazy pits me with the fuel gun and i love it. I'm out so fast !!! Your my boy blue !!!!!

I want one but i can't afford the extra 40 bucks for it right now. But to be honest you need a guy who knows how to use one or it could ruin your race.

I won a race because of a fuel gun, after that moment i thought they were bad arse.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

side note with my particular set up as we recently found out I either have to have a careful guy with a bottle or a fuel gun otherwise I flood the engine if the cap is slammed. but anyway I see people with caps on the losi guns..
anyone know what those are off of???
Old 08-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastguy1
side note with my particular set up as we recently found out I either have to have a careful guy with a bottle or a fuel gun otherwise I flood the engine if the cap is slammed. but anyway I see people with caps on the losi guns..

the cap comes in the rebuild kit.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I think it comes with the gun. that black cap for the bottom.

I seen first hand that thing your talking about mo. The over fill dumps the pressure in the tank and kills the engine.

I have also seen a guy shoot the fuel with the cap on the bottom and it goes right into the tank and you spill the fuel everywhere.

GJ on the Pro series win i saw you on neobuggy cladded in hardware.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

The cap comes with the gun. If it's missing an auto parts house may have a vacum hose cap that may work? I've also seen rubber caps at home depot that could be made to work.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I think it comes with the gun. that black cap for the bottom.

I seen first hand that thing your talking about mo. The over fill dumps the pressure in the tank and kills the engine.

I have also seen a guy shoot the fuel with the cap on the bottom and it goes right into the tank and you spill the fuel everywhere.

GJ on the Pro series win i saw you on neobuggy cladded in hardware.
yeah you got it!!! kevin Wilson also told me its from slamming the lid which is even harder to have my pit guy (or gal) NOT do..
I just picked one up and it didnt come with a cap, thanks for the info on the rebuild kit I will order one of those asap. now just have to remind them to take the cap off.
thanks on the congrats...glad its over now I can take a breather before the alabama race and cancer race
Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

take the gun apart and stretch out the spring, it will help it from leaking and getting stuck open.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

When I use to use the losi gun i always gave the trigger a shot of wd40 at the start of each race day and then stored it with the cap on it when not in use. Now I use the nova gun and it is 1000% better built. It costs a pretty penny but you know where your $$ went when you use it. Just my 2cents.

BTW a pit man with fuel gun experience is faster but a pit man without fuel gun experience is faster with a bottle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.