R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
yea il take a look at the 77 plug.

it is a rb s5 engine i am running it on, my truggy i looked at the 77 plug it says its just for .12 to .18 engines for 1/10 cars ?
take it for what its worth but sometimes glow plug descriptions are a lil out of whack compared to real world testing


if i told you you could only run 10% nitro would you ? just sayin'
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #17
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ight-racer View Post
The S5 is an older version of the Hobby 9, which is not even made anymore. Novarossi might make it, but RB designs their engines, and from experience, their sport engines don't hold their tune very well.

The Hobby 9 is selling for $245 where its still available, for $50 less you could of got a Werks B5 which would be a much better race engines and those engines hold a tune for gallons.
i would definitely look at the italian made werks before a taiwanese made engine , many rb engines are not made by novarossi anymore , someone else would know much more about which engines are and which arent
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ight-racer View Post
The S5 is an older version of the Hobby 9, which is not even made anymore. Novarossi might make it, but RB designs their engines, and from experience, their sport engines don't hold their tune very well.

The Hobby 9 is selling for $245 where its still available, for $50 less you could of got a Werks B5 which would be a much better race engines and those engines hold a tune for gallons.


its a hobby 9 engine 5 port, some guy told me it was a s5 it just has a new head on it. its a l2g cooling head on it

i bought it new`for $209 at a main.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #19
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
take it for what its worth but sometimes glow plug descriptions are a lil out of whack compared to real world testing


if i told you you could only run 10% nitro would you ? just sayin'


yea i guess its just marketing, tricks i did run 10% nitro before a long long time ago on my t-maxx.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #20
Tech Master
 
8ight-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,087
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
i would definitely look at the italian made werks before a taiwanese made engine , many rb engines are not made by novarossi anymore , someone else would know much more about which engines are and which arent
The only RB buggy engines still made by Novarossi are the Buggy10 and Cross10.
__________________
Palm Desert R/C Raceway - www.palmdesertrcraceway.com

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #21
Tech Champion
 
jmackani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Shippensburg
Posts: 5,599
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

What color were the coils of the original plug? Shiny or dull and gray? Dull and gray will still light up but it will not stay hot.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #22
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
What color were the coils of the original plug? Shiny or dull and gray? Dull and gray will still light up but it will not stay hot.


the old plug was shiny and brown, on the surface i dint look at the coils though but all i know is that it was causing flame outs. and i noticed on the, track that it was running like crap with the idle changeing and the low end power feeling soft with the old plug.

my engine was running kind of rich on the low end.

and when i used the, new plug + new filter i was passing people in the corners etc.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #23
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ight-racer View Post
The only RB buggy engines still made by Novarossi are the Buggy10 and Cross10.
oh i dint know that but, i do have a rubber carb boot thats says novarossi i am using a thicker carb o-ring from nova on the hobby 9.

so there must be some other nova parts on it also.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,782
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Like others have said, a plug can glow just fine and still run like crap. Usually when this happens you can look at the coil and it will appear really dull but sometimes they run like crap even looking brand new. This is especially true if you are running a bit rich, too low compression, to cold a plug or too low an operating temp. These exaggerate the problem.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #25
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,782
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
oh i dint know that but, i do have a rubber carb boot thats says novarossi i am using a thicker carb o-ring from nova on the hobby 9.

so there must be some other nova parts on it also.
If it is an older S5, it's a Nova.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #26
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
If it is an older S5, it's a Nova.

it must be cause the box it says its made in italty.

it just has a lg2 orange head on it.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #27
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Like others have said, a plug can glow just fine and still run like crap. Usually when this happens you can look at the coil and it will appear really dull but sometimes they run like crap even looking brand new. This is especially true if you are running a bit rich, too low compression, to cold a plug or too low an operating temp. These exaggerate the problem.


well the low end kept on, running rich which i think was because of the old plug not giving me a good idle. soon as i used a new plug, the idle was good and the low end wasnt running so rich.


there was a light smoke coming out of the pipe with the plug.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #28
Tech Regular
 
jk1152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 292
Default

Most RB's are made by NovaRossi. It's easier to name the few that are not. Like the K9 / K10.

But if you want to start naming the NovaRossi Engines here are a few.

S3/S5/S7/WS7/WS9

Junior 9 / Hobby5 / S9 / B9 / B10 / C6 / Shark / Cross 10

I have s5 with 7 Gallons as a practice motor that runs awesome, idles all day. I just don't use it at bigger events because I can't get the mileage that my Ninja JX21 gets.
jk1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
Tech Master
 
8ight-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,087
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1152 View Post
Most RB's are made by NovaRossi. It's easier to name the few that are not. Like the K9 / K10.

But if you want to start naming the NovaRossi Engines here are a few.

S3/S5/S7/WS7/WS9

Junior 9 / Hobby5 / S9 / B9 / B10 / C6 / Shark / Cross 10

I have s5 with 7 Gallons as a practice motor that runs awesome, idles all day. I just don't use it at bigger events because I can't get the mileage that my Ninja JX21 gets.
Look on RB's website and at amain, the only buggy engines RB still makes are the Killer10, Sport10, Buggy10 and Cross10. The rest are not made anymore.
__________________
Palm Desert R/C Raceway - www.palmdesertrcraceway.com

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #30
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1152 View Post
Most RB's are made by NovaRossi. It's easier to name the few that are not. Like the K9 / K10.

But if you want to start naming the NovaRossi Engines here are a few.

S3/S5/S7/WS7/WS9

Junior 9 / Hobby5 / S9 / B9 / B10 / C6 / Shark / Cross 10

I have s5 with 7 Gallons as a practice motor that runs awesome, idles all day. I just don't use it at bigger events because I can't get the mileage that my Ninja JX21 gets.



i use my for club racing i use, a 8mm carb restrictor and get about 8 minutes with a rich tune. i dont want to take it out cause i know the milage whould suck.

do you lose that much power with a restrictor anyways ?
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The New Werks B5 .21 Racing Engine Werks Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 9300 03-27-2017 05:54 PM
Ninja Engine by GRP ogreasurada Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 1526 09-16-2013 07:13 PM
Palmaris engine thread EdwardN Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 2533 08-12-2013 10:48 AM
Engine tuners in US? loopedout Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 37 04-11-2007 12:40 PM
D21B Buggy Engine dino.tw Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 149 07-19-2006 05:08 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:32 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net