R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Newbie Question On Truggy

Please don't laugh, but what are some examples of Truggys. My sons and I have a couple SC10's, and would like to start racing. When I check the race classes, I see alot of classes for "Truggy".

Could someone please give me some examples of what these are? I would like to buy a nitro off road as well so we can race some more classes, but I have no idea what the most popular RTR vehicle would be? Would a truggy or a buggy be our best option, and please give me examples?
Miller4673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Best bang for your buck if you are starting from scratch is the Losi 8-t rtr heres a link http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box
Starting a topic like this is like opening a can of worms. Every one is gonna tell you what to run and that is usually what they run. Go to the track and ask to drive a few. Then figure a budget out and see what you can afford.
DezSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...-8-Truggy-Kits
Old 08-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

best thing to do 1st is find a local track or a "Real" hobby store to help you out. On here you'll get alot of good advise, but can confuse you more.. hands on and site seen with guys around will help you alot.. I see your over in Minnesota, from what I here there's a number of tracks over there.. contact I think its called the Minnesota nitro series. I'm sure they would help you out also..
Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezSlash View Post
Best bang for your buck if you are starting from scratch is the Losi 8-t rtr heres a link http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box
Starting a topic like this is like opening a can of worms. Every one is gonna tell you what to run and that is usually what they run. Go to the track and ask to drive a few. Then figure a budget out and see what you can afford.
Plus 1
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller4673 View Post
Please don't laugh, but what are some examples of Truggys. My sons and I have a couple SC10's, and would like to start racing. When I check the race classes, I see alot of classes for "Truggy".

Could someone please give me some examples of what these are? I would like to buy a nitro off road as well so we can race some more classes, but I have no idea what the most popular RTR vehicle would be? Would a truggy or a buggy be our best option, and please give me examples?
You can always check out youtube for some videos of truggys .
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Here are some links to a few of the truggys out there

Losi

Associated

Hot Bodies
Ofna Nitro DM1
offroad racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

My experience is stay away from the kyosho us sports truggy. I have one of these and I dumped hundreds of dollars into it and it sits on a shelf now. Losi, Mugen or ae are what I would recommend. The losi rtr is pretty complete just
Swap a couple servos and you are good.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I agree, the losi, mugen, hotbodies and ae trucks are very even. The Ready to run Losi is a great way to start( with new servos) The engine is border line insane as far as horsepower is concerned but it can be run a little rich on the low end to tame it down some.
crazysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezSlash View Post
Yes!!
xBRxSAIGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Default What people didn't tell me....

I bought an RTR and have regretted it ever since. If you really want to compete buy a kit and put the engine and electronics YOU want in it. Not what the RTRs give you. It really depends on how IN you wanna go. I've been in the hobby for 3-4 months and bought an RTR, now all I do is kick myself in the *** for not doing my homework ahead of time. I went with the AE RTR. While I love my truck it's not even close to what the kit is. The Losi is closer to the roller than mine but it's still not the hot setup. If it's for your son and he's just getting started he probably won't know the difference but if he's very competitive you'll spend a small fortune making the RTR's the same as the kits. Bought mine at 580 right now I'm over 1,200 and still not close to competitive.(I'm not a great driver either tho) I could have had exactly what I wanted or pretty close to it with that price tag. Just my .02

OH!!! forgot to add..... In my honest opinion and I'm sure everyone will agree... Buggys are cheaper to maintain. Especially tires...
Old 08-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Yes the race rollers are better than the rtrs, but if you are just getting in to it you would be better off with an rtr. Espescially the losi rtr- they give you every thing you need except the two 6 cell nimh batteries for the starter box. If you do get the losi rtr you need to upgrade the steering and throttle servo. You can use the stock steering servo as the throttle servo. After you get into it you will find yourself wanting more speed and torque for the throttle servo, but for now the stock steering servo will work just fine on the throttle.

I definately think you should get a rtr, espescially if you are just getting in to it and dont know if you will like it that much.

I would recommend the losi rtr because they give you everything: starter box (normally NOT found in other rtrs), spektrum dx3s which is a nice radio, the truggy which is very tough, and some tools. Oh I almost forgot that they give you a reciever battery and batteries for the radio
Ofna Nitro DM1
offroad racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
Tech Elite

If your serious about getting in to this hobby and have to money to do so, I would NOT recommend a RTR. I would look in to building a kit. You do not have to buy the top of the line everything, but what you do buy will be quality. The Losi RTR is a great deal, but you havehe losi rtr because they give you everything: starter box (normally NOT found in other rtrs), spektrum dx3s which is a nice radio, the truggy which is very tough, and some tools. Oh I almost forgot that they give you a reciever to replace servos fairly fast. The servos it comes with are just not strong enough for the truck.
Now if money is a concern and you rather replace whats broken when broken, the Losi RTR is the best band for the buck.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you've not built or worked on an rc before then i would definately go RTR. Don't even think about building a kit until you have some experience with how things work and how to fix them. The losi 8-t rtr is a fantastic value an a very competitive racer right out of the box. You can always upgrade parts to the race roller specs a part at a time. You can get great deals on parts on ebay, so it won't cost as much to get there.

The reason i say don't bother with building one is 8 years ago i bought a kyosho usa nitro monster truck. It was about 70% assembled by the time i got frustrated and just chucked the parts in a box. I gave the kit to my father in law as a retirement gift, i figured he would have the time and patience to put it together. Needless to say it sat in that box until 2 months ago, untouched. I got it back and after having done alot of building and rebuilding of rc's over the last few years i was able to finish it up in about an hour and gave it back to him the next day. Now he is happily driving his rc and takes it camping everywhere he goes.

So the lesson here is don't start with a kit until you have the ability to do so. RTR is a great way to get going and you can upgrade parts on it as needed.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
Tech Elite

For that reason, I say - BUILD YOUR OWN KIT - if possible, they said they want to race right. So whats gonna happen if/when you break in warmups and need to fix something in just a few mins.... if you build a kit, you wont miss the race, because you will know exactly how to fix it.

To each is own....

Remember when EVERYTHING was kits..... people are spoiled now.