R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

A Truggy is a 1/8 scale Nitro truck, some refer to them as monster trucks. I don't like to use the term monster truck because it brings images of the popular Big Foot vehicle, but a Truggy is a big truck.

Truggy vs. Buggy? I have both and I'm relatively new to the Nitro side within the past two years. The Truggy is much more fun to drive and much more forgiving to drive. A buggy is a more precise handling vehicle and at the same time a bit more difficult to drive. I'm a middle of the road driver in terms of skill, but when a buggy gets out of shape, it tends to cart wheel and land on its lid quite a bit and is generally tougher to recover from driver error. A truggy seems to be more forgiving and soaks up bad driving and nasty hits better than a buggy. Both 1/8 scale vehicles are extremely durable, but the Truggy with bigger tires seems to take the punishment better. A Truggy on the other hand seems to burn through tires, clutches and bearings faster than a buggy, but that's because you can drive them on ragged edge the whole time you're on the track, and man is it fun to do so

The RTR vs Kit debte is as old as the chicken vs. the egg. If you think you're going to like Nitro and stay in it for a while, buy the kit and put the good electronics and engine in it. It will save you time, money and aggravation in the long run. There is nothing worse than realizing how much you love this hobby and then looking back and seeing the money you wasted on an RTR and the subsequent replacement equipment, when you could have just bought the good stuff up front.

RTR's are nice in that they get you up and running cheaply, but they usually come with cheap electronics and motor. This can cause new drivers a lot more money in the long run, and the frustration of dealing with those problems can cause many a frustrated new enthusiast to give up the Nitro side entirely.

Its a tough decision when you're on a budget because you want to get out on the track as soon as possible, but you don't have the $$ to throw down on the top of the line servos, engines, etc. The RTR seems the way to go, but in the long run they cost you more money.
XRAY 17 XB4
Yokomo YZ-2 CA
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
For that reason, I say - BUILD YOUR OWN KIT - if possible, they said they want to race right. So whats gonna happen if/when you break in warmups and need to fix something in just a few mins.... if you build a kit, you wont miss the race, because you will know exactly how to fix it.

To each is own....

Remember when EVERYTHING was kits..... people are spoiled now.
Yeah but i'd rather DNF a race than not be in one for an extended period of time while i figured out how to assemble my rig. The rtr just accelerates the process of building. And figuring out the truck one broken part at a time is a good starting pace imo. Theres nothing wrong with the rtr and it will save him alot of time and money in the short term and long run. The radio by itself is $200-250, the starter box is another $50-75. The engine if you go with the rtr engine is $120, more if you buy a better engine (upto $300). So thats about $400 of stuff at minimum he needs for any kit he purchases. Plus with a kit he still has to assemble it and hope the instructions are well written and translated into english.

Imo if i were in his shoes, it would be RTR or nothing. Sure i'm at a point now where i can assemble any kit in a matter of hours but just starting out it can be a daunting task, expecially when you open the box and see an endless amount of parts and screws. Not to mention there are alot of screws which are about the same size as another and can easily be confused.

For the value of what you get the losi 8-t rtr is hard to beat. You can find them for as low as $550 if you do abit of research and for that price you can't buy the parts seperately and come anywhere near that price.

Go RTR, get familiar with it. Maybe buy the parts to upgrade it to race roller if you want to. You'll still be under the price of the race roller if you keep an eye on ebay for deals and enjoy yourself. What someone else recommends may not be whats best suited for you so the decision is yours. Either way don't let the RTR part of the losi 8-t setup deter you, it should be viewed as a method of saving time and money to get where you ultimately want to be and thats on top of the podium after a good race day
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
A Truggy is a 1/8 scale Nitro truck, some refer to them as monster trucks. I don't like to use the term monster truck because it brings images of the popular Big Foot vehicle, but a Truggy is a big truck.

Truggy vs. Buggy? I have both and I'm relatively new to the Nitro side within the past two years. The Truggy is much more fun to drive and much more forgiving to drive. A buggy is a more precise handling vehicle and at the same time a bit more difficult to drive. I'm a middle of the road driver in terms of skill, but when a buggy gets out of shape, it tends to cart wheel and land on its lid quite a bit and is generally tougher to recover from driver error. A truggy seems to be more forgiving and soaks up bad driving and nasty hits better than a buggy. Both 1/8 scale vehicles are extremely durable, but the Truggy with bigger tires seems to take the punishment better. A Truggy on the other hand seems to burn through tires, clutches and bearings faster than a buggy, but that's because you can drive them on ragged edge the whole time you're on the track, and man is it fun to do so

The RTR vs Kit debte is as old as the chicken vs. the egg. If you think you're going to like Nitro and stay in it for a while, buy the kit and put the good electronics and engine in it. It will save you time, money and aggravation in the long run. There is nothing worse than realizing how much you love this hobby and then looking back and seeing the money you wasted on an RTR and the subsequent replacement equipment, when you could have just bought the good stuff up front.

RTR's are nice in that they get you up and running cheaply, but they usually come with cheap electronics and motor. This can cause new drivers a lot more money in the long run, and the frustration of dealing with those problems can cause many a frustrated new enthusiast to give up the Nitro side entirely.

Its a tough decision when you're on a budget because you want to get out on the track as soon as possible, but you don't have the $$ to throw down on the top of the line servos, engines, etc. The RTR seems the way to go, but in the long run they cost you more money.
If changing servos (which imo is the ONLY weak link in the 8-t rtr) is enough to frustrate someone, then buying a kit will surely make for a new basement shelf ornament.

In the long run they cost you more money? How so, i don't buy it. Lets do the math.

8-t Race Roller = $699 retail ($600 on ebay and many online shops)
Spektrum DX3S = $249 retail ($200 online)
Bump Box = $99 retail ($50-70 online)
2 good quality servos = $200-300 ($150-250 online)
Nitro Engine = $150 for a cheap one, upto $300 for a really nice engine.
Tuned Pipe = $50-100

Thats $1200 for a race roller to be RTR, and everything listed has to be installed. And thats going by the cheapest online prices you can find for new parts. You could shave a couple hundred off for used parts if you trust the source.

The 8-t RTR is $550 available from a few places online, and gives you all of what was listed above. If you want to throw new servos from the get go you'll need to spend another $150 for ace/xp servos or $250-300 for hitecs. That brings the grand total to $700 for the RTR with ace servos or $850 to go with hitecs best. If you buy the parts needed to upgrade to race roller specs you will need another $150-200 in parts (shock towers, flex tuned chassis, alum shock caps, etc). So you end up with a $1200 rig for less than $900. I don't see any savings here what-so-ever. In fact you've thrown an extra $300 in the toilet by going the "professional" route right from the get go.

Imo just spend the $550 get the RTR, play with it, replace parts as you see fit and have fun racing. Get some practice time in and then go compete. Don't look back and upgrade parts as you can afford it or want them. The RTR is one remarkable deal on a great setup, period.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Not to mention the fact you see great deals on the rtr's here from time to time. Just 2 weeks ago someone was selling a basically brand new 8-t rtr with everything for $425 shipped and it took him nearly a week to sell it! I was going to buy that rig and sell off the extra stuff i didn't need and use that money to upgrade it to race roller specs.

The radio would have fetched me $125-150 on here for the radio and rx with telemetry equip, the bump box would have gotten another $40-50 (i already have a dual purpose bump box). So i could have had that rig for $250 to my door and ready to run by the time i sold off the parts i didn't need. Thats one hell of a deal. You couldn't even buy a 3 year old t-maxx for that kind of money.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Have everyone forgotten the Race Roller?
They are pretty much pre built and you just add whats not included like engine, pipe, servo, receiver, radio and buy a starter box.

This is one example:
Mugen-MBX6T-M-Spec-Race-Roller-Truggy

On another note, I have just bought the Losi 8ight-t 2.0 RTR and oh! That car is durable. I don't race in "real races" since there in no track around but we built our own track.
That Losi is wicked on our rutty loose grip track and NOTHING has broken yet after almost 1.5 gallon.
YES, the throttle servo gave up BEFORE tank 2 on both Losi's and we have both swapped the stock steering servo for throttle and added a 7955TG for steering.
YES, the engine is not the best in the world but it will get you around the track never the less. It will let you figure out what you want next. For sure it will be "a next" when it comes to engines.
YES, the... NO.... I can't think of anything that is really bad.
I have broken a center diff but that was ALL MY FAULT and I have used up 1 set of tires so far...
The only thing I had to buy "extra" was two 7.2 volt battery's for the starter box. I already had a glow driver and fuel.....