Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What do you use to flame tires??? >

What do you use to flame tires???

What do you use to flame tires???

Old 04-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default What do you use to flame tires???

What kind of cleaner/ Stuff do you guys use to flame your tires before a race. I need the tire to Be very soft for night racing. Yes i know they dont last long once you do it to them tires are not a problem just traction when it gets late and Cold. Thanks for any help
Old 04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

do you mean heat up your tires? because you can get soft and super soft compounds for cold weather traction. if you are lighting your tires on fire, as flaming suggests, im not sure i can help you.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

I generally use motor spray and a lighter. Be carefull when you do it though. If you do it for too long it can change the compound slightly and have the reverse effect that you are looking for.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

WD-40 works, it's flammable. But before you flame your tires with it try just spraying a light coating on the tires after you have cleaned them and put them away in a large zip lock bag to sit over night. The WD will soften them right up and it's not as destructive as flaming. Also for more traction you could try going less stiff on the front and rear sways, that will help also.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Yes im wanting to heat it up and soften the tire more im already usong SS and i know flaming the tire well soften it up. I have tryed tire softener but dont work to well. Im race in the night when the ground gets Cold. Motor spay huh ill try it about how long i hear about 20 sec a tire. Speedy
Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Slider30250
WD-40 works, it's flammable. But before you flame your tires with it try just spraying a light coating on the tires after you have cleaned them and put them away in a large zip lock bag to sit over night. The WD will soften them right up and it's not as destructive as flaming. Also for more traction you could try going less stiff on the front and rear sways, that will help also.
Thanks for the tips. Speedyrob
Old 04-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Speedy what exactly is the track conditions, hard packed blue groove, packed with a dust layer, loose and loamy? And what tire are you using for the surface?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Speedy what exactly is the track conditions, hard packed blue groove, packed with a dust layer, loose and loamy? And what tire are you using for the surface?
Cold,Moist, hard packed. Im running a panther raptor Super Soft. I see everyone esle running small pin so im not far off. Losi 2.0 buggy stock setup. I even set my epa so im not pullin no more than half throttle and still not the traction everyone esle is geting. Speedyrob
Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Speedyrob
Cold,Moist, hard packed. Im running a panther raptor Super Soft. I see everyone esle running small pin so im not far off. Losi 2.0 buggy stock setup. I even set my epa so im not pullin no more than half throttle and still not the traction everyone esle is geting. Speedyrob
Try a J Concepts subculture in blue (soft) compound or a Pro-Line Caliber in M3 (soft) compound. After looking at the Panther tire I think I know what's happening, with the super short pins on that tire I would say you're tread is loading up with track dirt and causing you to lose traction until you get the tires spinning fast enough to clear the tread out.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Initiate

On several company's super soft compounds, traction additives do not sink in causing the tire to just be slimey.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Try a J Concepts subculture in blue (soft) compound or a Pro-Line Caliber in M3 (soft) compound. After looking at the Panther tire I think I know what's happening, with the super short pins on that tire I would say you're tread is loading up with track dirt and causing you to lose traction until you get the tires spinning fast enough to clear the tread out.
So too small of a pin ill buy some calibers in soft and try that. Speedyrob
Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Speedyrob
So too small of a pin ill buy some calibers in soft and try that. Speedyrob
They should serve you well and the two step pin design is a lot more resistant to loading up with dirt than a tire with a really small short pin. Those Panthers I would use on dry hard pack. Either clean or with a little dust layer. Also when you go to mount the Calibers, they are directional. How you mount them will decide how the do in certain conditions. Follow the link and read the tire features.

http://www.prolineracing.com/product...es-253-75.html
Old 04-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Not soft enough? I had a set of AKA super softs and they literally stuck to my table!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

If the compound is too soft the pin will just fold over on the track and not acutally dig and thus have no traction. Just one thought.

Also you said that you are running a Losi right? How old is the car. If it is brand new out of the box with less then say 1/2 gallon of fuel on it, it will not create traction do to the car not being broke in.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Proline's M3 and AKA's Super Soft are much softer than Panther's

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.