Wiki Posts
Search

full ceramic engine bearing ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default full ceramic engine bearing ??

I am rebuilding my os speed vb .21 and it comes stock with a steel front and hybrid ceramic rear, i am replacing the rear with the same hybrid (ceramic balls, steel races) but want to run a full ceramic front bearing. has anyone done it and if so how did it work? my only concern is that the seals on the full ceramic wont be strong enouh not to let air in. let me know any and all input
Old 08-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

this is the bearing in question

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...3LDZRO2-7x19x6
Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

do not do it... it wont last a tank.. i tried them front and rear.. and within a tank they were done... luckily Boca gave me back product for the value... they had took them off the list for RC engines but i see that they re-list them for rc-engines again.. give a call or email and ask them...
Old 08-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I run full ceramics in my Ghetto Speedenstein. The Boca's are good bearings. I've used regular engine bearings from them in the past but I really like TKO's ceramics. They are the top choice of engine modders and rebuilders around the country.

I'm on 6 gallons with no rod replacement and ZERO issues to date with my full TKO ceramic setup.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Default full ceramic bearing for rc engines

for now we are of the position that full ceramic bearings in rc engines are very much still experimental. we have had some successes and some failures. every engine set up, operating environment and driver is different so at this point we are being cautious. if someone would like to help us with testing we would be willing to give them a free set of full ceramics to run and give us feedback. pm me and let me know.

[email protected]
Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

What's the problem with front ceramic bearing, they can't handle the dirt or impact? I just put a set of TKO ceramic bearings in my Novarossi P5. I think
they'll be alright. Time will tell.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
What's the problem with front ceramic bearing, they can't handle the dirt or impact? I just put a set of TKO ceramic bearings in my Novarossi P5. I think
they'll be alright. Time will tell.
they are talking about full ceramics.. not the hybrids with just ceramic balls... but these have ceramic casing and everything
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Full ceramics are for an environment like caustic or corrosive chemicals or in electric motor applications where no conductivity can go through the bearings.

They are not for our engines. Shock,thermal shock and other factors prevent it. The slightly lower drag would not be worth the cost and lack of reliability.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kgombe
they are talking about full ceramics.. not the hybrids with just ceramic balls... but these have ceramic casing and everything
Oh... So what are the advantages of that; I could see the balls being perfectly round, but the casing?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry Peter just answered my question.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have had one problem with ceramics they were cheap ProTeks, lasted a LONG 15 minutes! The high pitch scream/whistle, barley idle tune right etc. I have had good luck with TKO's, and also customers and team mates. My old ninja had TKO ceramics for about 5 gallons and I think replacing them would be a good idea, seeing how I just put a new p/s/r in it.

TKO also ships VERY fast!

Andy
Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

well isnt the ceramic material STRONGER that the metal in current hybrid bearings?
If thats the case, wouldnt these last much longer? How well does the bearing seal?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

guys the thread is about a full Ceramic bearing... not the usual that we buy from TKO and others... they are talking about ceramic everything... balls and casing
Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kgombe
guys the thread is about a full Ceramic bearing... not the usual that we buy from TKO and others... they are talking about ceramic everything... balls and casing
correct, most ceramics you see are called hybrids, IE ceramic balls in steel races. The issue with full ceramic is the lack of reliable seal. As i understand it its near impossible to implement a groove into the ceramic in which a seal can be mounted. os and some others supply ceramics from the factory but there simply hybrids.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

I used ceramic bearings without issue. Most issues come from the way they are installed. From beating on the center race while driving the bearings in which breaks the ceramic ball bearings. Or not seating the bearing fully in the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.