Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie with some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie with some questions...

Hey Guys,

So I just took delivery yesterday of my first Nitro truck, the Stampede (Model #4109)! I am very excited and hope to really get into the hobby and modify the pede along the way. It only has the .15 engine but figured that would be a good start for me considering my last RC was a Tyco back in like '92. I have plans to upgrade to the TRX 3.3 down the road when I'm a little more experienced and the Pede is to the point that it handle the added power. I have already ordered some parts (i.e. 2.2" wheels with sand paws and pro-line mohawks for the front) and some stuff for the stock shell which I'll post pictures of when I'm done. I think it should be pretty unique if it works; I haven't seen anyone do this yet to their shell....

Anyways, this thread is getting long so I'll get the point: I wanted to extend the wheel width with wheel extensions from wheelextensions.com, but I can't for the life of me figure out what size I need; "12mm or 14mm"? Can anyone tell me for sure what size I need? I looked at the part list for my truck (traxxas.com/PDF-Library/4109_parts.pdf) but don't see the size I actually need?

On another note, what other mods do you guys recommend for the pede?

TIA for any help

P.S. I've attached a couple pics, one of which shows the heatsink all scratched up from a top speed rollover w/ no shell on pavement . Oh well, it was bound to happen, why not on the first day?
Attached Thumbnails Newbie with some questions...-pede1.jpg   Newbie with some questions...-pede2.jpg   Newbie with some questions...-pede3.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 11:56 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

12mm
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

mod 1 dont buy 3.3 from trx they are trash can engines alot of people when they get a traxxas with a 3.3 they trash it and dont waste there time selling it or trying to run it....
go dynamite .19 its cheaper than a trx 3.3, faster and is a direct drop in for trx vehicles.

another no no is dont upgrde to aluminum a-arms they will bend and never work right again go rpm plastics they are guranteed not to break and if they do they replace them FREE...Same with shock towers avoid aluminum where the car can take force from a crash it causes more damage then it worth!!!

hope u enjoy the hobbie!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Rpm stuff rocks. Alum arms are pretty to look at but that's it they belong on a shelf or a show truck. I would put every rpm part you can on it. I run the rpm stuff on my slash 4x4 and it holds up to the abuse I give it on 1/8 scale tracks. And +1 on the 3.3 junk too bad a nice .21 won't fit in there... Or will it? Either way OS makes a nice .18 engine http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ide-Carburetor