Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Servo Arm Centering - Subtrim vs Linkage? >

Servo Arm Centering - Subtrim vs Linkage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Servo Arm Centering - Subtrim vs Linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 071crazy
It depends from car to car. With my losi I've always used a little subtrim to get the arm pretty centered. Your left and right epa adjustments should be relatively close. So you don't want the right epa to be at 100% while the left EPA is at 40%.

Honestly, the subtrim vs linkage tradeoff is wayyyyy more noticeable with onroad cars. Making sure that you have correct EPA adjustments is a lot more important.
Just so you know i do know how to set the EPA and always do that with my servos. I agree EPA is important to the life and performance of the servo itself. My question is the correlation between the centering of the servo arm and the servo itself.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Prophet

are you using a cheaper, diginal hitec servo or a analog hitec servo ?
because ive had center problems with them a lot.

i use a futaba coreless, diginal servo now for my throttle and it centers good .
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
Just so you know i do know how to set the EPA and always do that with my servos. I agree EPA is important to the life and performance of the servo itself. My question is the correlation between the centering of the servo arm and the servo itself.
Great! Since no one is giving you a satisfactory answer, I think the best thing you can do is try a variety of servo and radio settings and report back to us.

ding fries are done!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think you guys are taking this way to seriously. Just center the servo with subtrim and double check your epa's, then drive!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree with the KO Propo guy.

I always setup my linkages mechanically first, getting as close to centre as I possibly can before adjusting my radio ( and I also make sure my radio is zeroed before adjusting anything )

Then I use sub-trim to adjust my servos to dead centre, after that I setup my EPA. The steering is always equal from left to right, and at maximum throw.

I find it quite simple to do this, especially if you just use a new model, or reset your current model on your radio. I also use Hitec 7955 servos, and they centre great.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
I agree with the KO Propo guy.

I always setup my linkages mechanically first, getting as close to centre as I possibly can before adjusting my radio ( and I also make sure my radio is zeroed before adjusting anything )

Then I use sub-trim to adjust my servos to dead centre, after that I setup my EPA. The steering is always equal from left to right, and at maximum throw.

I find it quite simple to do this, especially if you just use a new model, or reset your current model on your radio. I also use Hitec 7955 servos, and they centre great.

ok so you set the, steering/throttle trim to 0 and than add a little bit of sub trim before you put the servo arm on ?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc5 man
ok so you set the, steering/throttle trim to 0 and than add a little bit of sub trim before you put the servo arm on ?
no, no..I set the radio to zero, then I put the servo horn on as close as I can to centre, and then I use sub-trim to bring it to dead centre, and finally finish off with some EPA treatment
Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Next topic: The aerodynamics of fuel pulls.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Go start a new thread for it.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tc5 man
are you using a cheaper, diginal hitec servo or a analog hitec servo ?
because ive had center problems with them a lot.

i use a futaba coreless, diginal servo now for my throttle and it centers good .
I'm actually using ace/xp/ae servos. 1313 on throttle and 1015 on steering. I've got this same setup with my buggy. Nice servos, reasonably priced.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey its an honest question that i've yet to find the best answer for. I may end up just doing as i have in the past and as the ko pro gm suggested. But if you've ever googled the topic you'll see what i mean. Some claim to center it via subtrim, others claim to just adjust the linkage.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Hey its an honest question that i've yet to find the best answer for. I may end up just doing as i have in the past and as the ko pro gm suggested. But if you've ever googled the topic you'll see what i mean. Some claim to center it via subtrim, others claim to just adjust the linkage.
Nah, I'll just focus on tuning motors. I think that's a slightly better use of time.

Thanks for the thought.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nah, I'll just focus on tuning motors. I think that's a slightly better use of time.

Thanks for the thought.
Like i said my engine won't be here until tomorrow. I sent it in to be repinched So until i get it all i have to occupy my time is setting up the servo. HAHA. Ahh well, Good times.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well i guess i've come to the conclusion that setting the subtrim is probably the way to go. After seeing a few more videos on youtube and a few articles written in magazines and online, its apparent that is the accepted practice for getting the servo horn centered. I was honestly hoping more people would back up their arguement one way or another. And i've even found a way to do it manually by opening up the servo itself and messing with the gears to get it exactly center, but i don't really feel like voiding the warrantee on them quite yet, they've not even been out of the packaging for a few days, so we'll just go with subtrim and call it good.

Anyhow i appreciate the feedback, as always. Maybe tomorrow i'll start another topic we can argue over
Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Like i said my engine won't be here until tomorrow. I sent it in to be repinched So until i get it all i have to occupy my time is setting up the servo. HAHA. Ahh well, Good times.
Great, keep us posted on your findings!

I like turtles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.