Search

RC8/RC8T laid down shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default RC8/RC8T laid down shocks

I notice the shocks on the RC8/RC8T are considerably more angled (laid down) than those of other brands buggies and truggies. The original RC8 FT was really laid down and the "B" version has redesigned shock towers for more adjustments which include using less angle. Even with the new towers, the shocks still aren't as close to vertical as other brands (HB, Losi, Tamiya, etc.). I know moving the shocks to have more of an angle makes for more of a progressive suspension feel, but it seems more linear would be better. Anyone have any feedback on the pros or cons of AE's shock layout design vs. that of all the other brands?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

but it seems more linear would be better.
I concur. I run my Associated bug & trug as vert as possible...as per Shane's set ups.

Dialed for the most part.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Well... from what i have read/seen/tested... the AE buggy/truggy steer like no other... and i know that has SOMETHING to do with the laid out shocks.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i got the RC8T FT & i never bother the shocks (angle position) ,as stated earlier "AE buggy/truggy steer like no other
Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If I touch mine, I just go maybe 1 down or up from factory. I might try to raise rear only to see how it affects traction though.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mbx5rcr34
i got the RC8T FT & i never bother the shocks (angle position) ,as stated earlier "AE buggy/truggy steer like no other

how does the rc8t jump, and handle compared to a eight truggy ?
i might be getting a rc8t next year . i know you said it steers really good does it have too much ?

or can you change it to not to that ?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc5 man
how does the rc8t jump, and handle compared to a eight truggy ?
i might be getting a rc8t next year . i know you said it steers really good does it have too much ?

or can you change it to not to that ?
i have seen the eight T , but i never tried one ...

yes ,you can change (14/16/18 deg. caster) it all depends on your driving style & of course the race track that you're racing ........the stock set-up will probably impress you ,steering is great but the rear-end is just loose & then you need to work on your differential set-up .....again it all depends on your liking & what race track are you racing ,another factor is the tires , a good torque servo ......hope it helps
Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mbx5rcr34
i have seen the eight T , but i never tried one ...

yes ,you can change (14/16/18 deg. caster) it all depends on your driving style & of course the race track that you're racing ........the stock set-up will probably impress you ,steering is great but the rear-end is just loose & then you need to work on your differential set-up .....again it all depends on your liking & what race track are you racing ,another factor is the tires , a good torque servo ......hope it helps

well if i do get the rc8t i am gone to get the one with the big bore shocks of course.

well im kind of used, to the rear end twichy and sliding on my eight-t
but i am changeing the setup on it.

is the rc8t jump, pretty level and whats the weak points and wear ?
i do know somebody who, runs a rc8t without the big bore shocks and its not the greatest at least on a rough track lol.

he said he likes. i do race on rough rutty track by the way.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

The RC8 platform steers. ALOT.

Our local AE factory guy obviously loves the truck, but he says it breaks a lot. I considered leaving Mugen for an AE. Parts support is great. It handles very well. I picked up a friends AE and turned some pretty fast and consistent laps. It just steers!

BUT, my main concern was that it breaks. Dont yell at me, as I dont know first hand. That is just coming from a factory AE guy.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Dlewis4
The RC8 platform steers. ALOT.

Our local AE factory guy obviously loves the truck, but he says it breaks a lot. I considered leaving Mugen for an AE. Parts support is great. It handles very well. I picked up a friends AE and turned some pretty fast and consistent laps. It just steers!

BUT, my main concern was that it breaks. Dont yell at me, as I dont know first hand. That is just coming from a factory AE guy.

is this the new rc8t with, the big bores and all the hop ups that breaks alot ?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Yes

My friend actually put some of the blue aluminum arm mounts with the interchangablr inserts in last week and they are already wore out
Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I learned to drive with my rc8b and during the process crashed and flipped a lot and cartwheeled it to death and only broke a shock standoff bolt. The only other thing I have had an issue with after a bad cartwheel is the rear hinge pins bending. Replaced with steel ones no more issues now. That is the buggy though. This was mainly on hard clay. The normal rc8 had issues. Can't speak for truggy either
Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think it's a tough machine. The rod ends break after a couple of gallons if you have several hard landings, and the rear uprights should be replaced with aluminum, and it's tough as nails as far as I'm concerned.

I use LST2 rod-ends on my TBs and they seem to be quite durable.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc5 man
is this the new rc8t with, the big bores and all the hop ups that breaks alot ?
breaks a lot?? where are you getting those information?, if the driver is a beginner or if he crash a lot LOL ,definitely he will break a lot ,its simple........
Old 07-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

I drive the Rc8t and even the RTR RS i bought has the big bores all the truggys do now. If you get the pre built RTR or the half built CE make sure you rebuild and locktite for sure. Other than that the CVA's bend but I just bend them back and they're fine I'll even race with slightly tweaked ones. The drivetrain is tough in this thing even with slop in it.... If you have the money buy the kit over the RTR tho for sure. You'll be happier with it!