R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Ceramic bearings only benefit you if you use them through the entire car. The free spinning of the bearings is a cumulative affect only good if use in every part of the drive train. $100 for a complete set through Acer way to much for my wallet. Then you have to clean and oil them to make them last thats to much work for me. I use the Avid dollar bearings rubber sealed on both sides best dirt protection is dual rubber seal. Dirt is the #1 killer of bearings. I'm the type who changes there CB bearings every race regardless of there condition. I mean not finish a race over $2 worth of bearings thats ridiculous in my opinion also the glow plug were talking $7 total for CB bearings and a glow plug. Generally you spend about $50 to go racing food, entry fee, nitro and gas to get there and home. Why DNF over things that are so cheap that are probably the #1 and 2 reasons for DNF's. I change all my drive train bearings about every 5-6 races cost me a total of $22 per change Thats 5 complete changes to 1 set of ceramics and never had a DNF over a bearing. If your talking engine bearings TKO rear is the only way to go and the novarossi double rubber front bearing is the best hands down. Guys talk about CB bearing all the time but only change there engine bearing once the engine starts to act up. You should be changing your engine bearings every 5-6 gallons if you really want to make your engine last. If you want to spend money on something get something of value for your $100 like a hudy drive pin press or a hudy engine bearing extractor. Keeping fresh drive pins installed will help your drive line smoothness. Keep your out drives from wearing out extra fast. The slaping of the outdrive from warn out drive pins causes wheel spin and excessive wear. A set of drive pins (pack of 10) cost about $5. Replacing your engine bearings, inspecting it and cleaning your engine out on a regular scheduled maintenance program priceless.

As far as ceramics over steel bearings yes your drivetrain will be smoother and roll more freely. However Laws of physics kick in every car depending on setup can only roll through a corner at (x) speed regardless of ceramic or steel bearings. If your using steel bearings and can't roll through a corner with good speed it's not the bearing it's you, your cars set up or the line your taking. Ceramic bearings will not make your car any faster than the car with steel bearings.

Last edited by vladconnery; 11-28-2011 at 03:57 AM.
vladconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #47
Tech Adept

i dont recomend ceramics in a buggy.It is a waste of money and to much work.
The avid bearings is wery good.I have them everywhere.

clutch bearings in xray are somewhat bigger 5x12x4 and the avid last easely 1-2 gallons.Sometimes i replace them just to be shore.
But clutchplay have a lot to say.Also the play betweene the pinion and spur...and flex in the chassis.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I wont deny the advantage of cermaics. I used to run full TKO ceramcis in my truggy and it was silly free. They required maintenance thou.

Best bearings I've seen are TKO special 5x10 clutch bearings. They will out last Kyosho bearings 3 to 1. I'll never run anything else in my clutch.

For general drivetrain bearings the Boca's super high dollar ceramics are amazing but DAMN are they pricey

Those are the only bearings i've seen last any length of time in a serpent which requires a steady diet of of the small flanged hub bearings. Avid dollars last all of 1 hour in the hubs.......

I run the dollar proteks in my JQ car and just toss them everytime I do a diff refresh or one gets gritty. I just dont have the funds for the high dollar ceramics these days
rdeppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

+1 on the avids bearings...

at a dollar a bearing its just too easy. and it gets you in to the habit of checking your clutch

I run the revolution bearings throughout the car and have never had an issue
ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote