R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Traction vs. Weight

Ok. I know many of us struggle to be "light" weight for speed, milage and increased agility/handling, but I need some view points on this;

For the last few months i have been running V3 proline tires (wider than normal) and while they got better traction on some tracks, they actually got worse on others. The tracks they were worse I would switch back to V2 of the same tread the the traction got better! So, I concluded that they must have been spreading the weight on the treads and with less pressure per tread (since there are more treads) they were getting worse traction. Then, since I am Electric I further tested this by using 2400mah packs vs. 5000mah packs (about 200gram difference) and with all other things being the same the 5000mah pack got better traction and the 2400mah/lighter pack not only slid around more but showed less mileage due to excessive wheel spin! But hey I thought light was good? So far it has been proving bad so what to do?

Then I had once gotten some used tires from an Ebay Auction where the guy cut out the outer & inner rows of knobs on some Crime fighters making them essentially thinner. I was puzzled by this and thought it was silly why he would do this until I tried them on a track where nothing else was working and BANG, awesome traction! (and yes i tried same tread same compound crime fighters before I tried this) Was it cuz there was more pressure/weight on each knob now that there were less of them and that improved traction??

Thoughts
1. Perhaps I should have gone up a tooth on my pinion with the lighter pack to reduce torque and wheel spin, since it is lighter the added agility would make up and I would have a net gain of speed.
2. Perhaps I should I also go with thinner tires to get better lb/sq inch pressure and traction on those treads when I drop weight so radically with these ultra small lipo packs.

Please share any real world experience on these observations and/or factual answers to what I should do. Even though I am electric, physics is still physics and I would value you nitro guys who might have a good answer so I'm posting this here too. TY
jasonwipf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Tech Elite

We remove knobs on the outsides of the tire to get less griproll. I think you need to change your setup with a lighter battery, and I think you're used to the heavy weight and you drive better with what you like I guess.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
We remove knobs on the outsides of the tire to get less griproll. I think you need to change your setup with a lighter battery, and I think you're used to the heavy weight and you drive better with what you like I guess.
So if I got lighter pack what set up changes are warranted that would relate to a big drop in weight like that?
jasonwipf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwipf View Post
So if I got lighter pack what set up changes are warranted that would relate to a big drop in weight like that?
Lighter car means lighter oil/springs. Probably a less stiffer swaybars and you roll center a bit higher since there is less roll with less weight.