R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #61
Tech Rookie

For that price, I wish that Kyosho would be more innovative. If anything, the price is helping other companies. Kyosho is one of the best in terms of quality but frankly, the design seems a little outdated to me. The Durango will be under the Kyosho in price, equal or better in quality and much more forward thinking. I think the thing people love about the Kyosho is the reliability. It stays together, drives well (might not be the fastest but it will finish the race) and for some people, that is all that matters, cost is no object. Some of brought up the point that you often add hop ups to your cheaper cars but I tend to run with the parts in the box so that is not really an issue with me. And about the quality thing, yes Kyosho is still king but there are other cheaper options that come very close. Xray is less, so is Odonnell, Mugen stays together, the Associated is NOW very durable, many are very impressed the the performance, durability and quality of the new Agama car.

If you want to spend the money, go for it, but for me, there are better options out there.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #62
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

mugen is also made in Japan right? 900$ is alot.. i would like to try one myself to see if its worth the 50% more than a MBX6
Dnano
Old 07-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont think there is 1 kyosho MP9 at the Nitro Pit or in AZ for that matter, well Stav runs one but never races any more. The car just wont make it at race pace through a race at the Pit every week it was like "oh there is another MP9 broke down" so you just dont see them any more. And they are very proud of there parts when you do break somthing it is mucho $$$$$. Losi, Mugen, are all way less and very strong and proven. Good luck with the MP9 and it is companies like Kyosho that are killing the Hobby!
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
mugen is also made in Japan right? 900$ is alot.. i would like to try one myself to see if its worth the 50% more than a MBX6
Actually, I don't know if the Mugens are made in Japan anymore. The K-car is clearly marked as "Made In Japan" whereas I've scoured the Mugen packaging and no such claim is anywhere to be found, which leads me to suspect that MOOG may have outsourced some (or all?) of the production to somewhere cheaper.

As for:

"The Durango will be... equal or better in quality..."

-We don't know that for a fact just yet. We also don't yet know how much parts will cost. That's one thing that I'm happy about with Kyosho: spares are more reasonably-priced and plentiful.

In reality, it seems that they get us either way: either the buggy is expensive and the spares are cheap, or the buggy is cheap and the spares cost a kidney... Or the buggy is cheap and the spares are cheap and wear-out faster than most people change their underpants
Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #65
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Xray, Mugen and O'Donnell are of equal build quality to Kyosho. There is no way to justify the Kyosho's cost.

4-5 years ago Kyosho was one of the dominant brands in my region. Now there is not ONE Kyosho running in my area. The last two I was aware of were sponsored drivers and when the last generation car came out, their price was so high (at their discount) that they both walked away from their sponsorships and bought Losis.

BTW, the box says "made in Japan", that does not mean that every component is made there. Many Japenese goods are outsourced to China. not that it matters as was pointed out earlier. China produces exactly the quality of goods that the customer agrees to.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
+1 yeah isnt mugen made in japan, but people say they arent as good? Prefrence maybe but hey if someone wants to spend 900 on a car that people think is better then more power to em haha

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
Old 07-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default No question........

It's true, Kyosho makes top quality cars, especially the race cars, I've had the original Inferno, the MP7.5, and the 777, not to mention the Turbo Optima, and the original ultima, but when the mp-9 came out I shopped around for another ride. It's a nice buggy, the new TKI with the low slung body looks sick, but I refuse to pay that much. Heck I bought an 808 3 years ago and never looked back, not a cheap buggy either, but the parts last longer. Around here Mugen is the most run buggy and truggy. Most every car out there is good, and most are 4-600 bucks, where that 3-400 dollars comes from that makes the Kyosho that much better I'll never know...

You know Kyosho has always been expensive. The Turbo Inferno was around 900 dollars way back when. It was accepted because there weren't many cars to choose from. It was a monopoly so to say. These days it is all about choices, and although I love Kyosho cars, it's time to get real....

On the positive they are the National Champs.....Sweeeep....
Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Still Yawning
AE 1/10, Reds
"If it's old skool, it's kool"
Old 07-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

this is funny. It doesn't even come with tires. WoW.

At least the mspec comes with premounted tires and body wrap.

also, if i knew that without a doubt that it was the best car out, i might even spend that kind of money on a kit. Like houston said, if you want the best you pay for it. With that being said, i don't think it is the best car out. I have seen them at my track and they do not impress me at all.

Mugen
Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I wasn't going to waste time weighing into this this but who cares what it costs?? I ran for Kyosho in AU and i can honestly say that the car was/is awesome! It has THE BEST drivetrain period!

Yes Kyosho is expensive, but i honestly believe that the quality pretty well justifies the price.. if you don't like it don't buy it... pretty simple really..
Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
for those who rely on a truly quality product , price is no option
True, True. Still the only kit in the market to be manufactured in Japan.. If I had the $$$ I would join the K army... Can't beat em nor can I join em
Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

How do you all know all the parts are made n Japan? you dont know!!!!!! They are a rip off!!! Who gives a crap where a kit is made? If it kicks ass then its a good car..End of story...And who cares if the mugen box doesnt say it is made in japan? They car is the best out there!!!You Kyosho followers kill me..I have used there cars since the early 90's and the mp6 was the best car ever made

some other kyosho follwer said he hasnt "broken an arm in 10 whole races".. And he replaced the arms just because they were 10races old? WHO THE HELL DOES THAT!!!!!!You people are way to serious about racng not to be making the A-main at a Nat'l!!!!!!!Its not that serious!!!$900 roller
Old 07-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Xray, Mugen and O'Donnell are of equal build quality to Kyosho. There is no way to justify the Kyosho's cost.

4-5 years ago Kyosho was one of the dominant brands in my region. Now there is not ONE Kyosho running in my area. The last two I was aware of were sponsored drivers and when the last generation car came out, their price was so high (at their discount) that they both walked away from their sponsorships and bought Losis.

BTW, the box says "made in Japan", that does not mean that every component is made there. Many Japenese goods are outsourced to China. not that it matters as was pointed out earlier. China produces exactly the quality of goods that the customer agrees to.
+1
Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
this is funny. It doesn't even come with tires. WoW.

At least the mspec comes with premounted tires and body wrap.

also, if i knew that without a doubt that it was the best car out, i might even spend that kind of money on a kit. Like houston said, if you want the best you pay for it. With that being said, i don't think it is the best car out. I have seen them at my track and they do not impress me at all.
Well if you've seen them at your track and they don't impress you, obviously they're no good Note to self.....Get kanai to design a car that impresses YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
How do you all know all the parts are made n Japan? you dont know!!!!!! They are a rip off!!! Who gives a crap where a kit is made? If it kicks ass then its a good car..End of story...And who cares if the mugen box doesnt say it is made in japan? They car is the best out there!!!You Kyosho followers kill me..I have used there cars since the early 90's and the mp6 was the best car ever made

some other kyosho follwer said he hasnt "broken an arm in 10 whole races".. And he replaced the arms just because they were 10races old? WHO THE HELL DOES THAT!!!!!!You people are way to serious about racng not to be making the A-main at a Nat'l!!!!!!!Its not that serious!!!$900 roller
How do you know they're not why cant anyone understand, it costs more, because it costs more to manufacture......Think about it

Keep telling yourselves everyone........
AE 1/10, Reds
"If it's old skool, it's kool"
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I wasnt going to say anything, but I have been in the hobby for along time now and kyosho is nuts. Five years ago all you really had to chose between the k3 and the mbx5. I admit I did drop the 650 for the k3. Was a good car but was no better than the mbx5 imo which was alot cheaper. Now you have so many cars that are very good. I would like to try the mp9. But I can buy a new mbx6 which imo is just as good or not better and ninja if you shop around for the same price as the new kit. Its actaully pretty sad, I like kyosho, but you wont see any at any tracks for that price. If it cost more to manufacture then they need to find some else to do it, becasue everone else is making out ok