R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Flywheel to fit this shaft?

Can anyone suggest a flywheel that will fit this type of shaft? It's 7mm at the round part, just over 5mm at the flat part (O.S. max CV-R shaft):

MattFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
Can anyone suggest a flywheel that will fit this type of shaft? It's 7mm at the round part, just over 5mm at the flat part (O.S. max CV-R shaft):

Good luck, That crankshaft is for a plane. Its made to hold a prop. not a flywheel.
hdcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcruzer View Post
Good luck, That crankshaft is for a plane. Its made to hold a prop. not a flywheel.
It's definitely a car/truck engine:

http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2102.html
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default flywheel

associated has a flywheel collet and spacers, also flywheel wheels for that engine. You may also need a crankshaft adapter to install your clutch bell. What vehicle are you going to use for this engine?
ramjesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Tech Adept

This is going into a Kyosho DBX. The flywheel from the DBX has a Collet for the same diameter shaft, but it's meant for a completely round shaft and it won't tighten up on this shaft.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Tech Regular

you might need to add a spacer or two and cut the shaft.
ramjesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

It should still be able to tighten up. Check the length of the shaft on your old motor and see if it's shorter. You may need to cut the shaft on the new motor. If that isn't it, you might have to try some different collets to find one that works.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
It should still be able to tighten up. Check the length of the shaft on your old motor and see if it's shorter. You may need to cut the shaft on the new motor. If that isn't it, you might have to try some different collets to find one that works.
It seems to tighten up if I allow the collet all the way back to the bearing, but I'm afraid of putting too much pressure on the bearing. If I tighten the flywheel bolt will it put all that pressure on the bearing, or does the inner bearing race (front bearing) press up against a lip on the crankshaft (inside the motor) thus pinching the inner bearing race between the lip no the shaft and the flywheel and not really putting any pressure on the bearings themselves? Did I explain that clearly?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFL View Post
It seems to tighten up if I allow the collet all the way back to the bearing, but I'm afraid of putting too much pressure on the bearing. If I tighten the flywheel bolt will it put all that pressure on the bearing, or does the inner bearing race (front bearing) press up against a lip on the crankshaft (inside the motor) thus pinching the inner bearing race between the lip no the shaft and the flywheel and not really putting any pressure on the bearings themselves? Did I explain that clearly?
It should be up against the bearing. It will only push on the inner race which is braced by the crank itself on the backside.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
It should be up against the bearing. It will only push on the inner race which is braced by the crank itself on the backside.
Well I tried it... and it worked great! Got the engine installed last night and ran 4 tanks through it today. Maybe finish breaking it in tomorrow. I ended up getting a different flywheel bolt and trimming the shaft on the engine. I'll post a new thread about the install, but I'm surprised how much quieter this engine is than the Kyosho was, with the same exhaust!

Thanks everyone for your help!