R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default ?

Interesting comments by alot of poeple, I've worked with data acquisition and sensors and calibration for some years, and have seen pros and cons on temp guns/lasers. I use the PE-3, which I've done back to back comparisons with the Exergen, and found it only 1-2 degrees difference. I mostly une by smoke and engine response. The Exergen is a high quality temp gun, is it worth it, thats a matter of opinion, dirt and batteries will fault the best temp gun. I will say that the guys who use the red laser as a target, you can get a bad reading, since the infared sensor is not in the same location, you can see buy the infared photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Temp gun close or as good as exergen without high price tag?-ir000083.jpg  
akiyama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Exergen

By far the exergen is the best and most accurate. I had a brand new ofna mini temp gun I received from RC driver magazing. It was 50 degrees off, no joke. I had a raytek that seemed pretty good but I had a problem with the laser staying on while it was in my tool box. Nothing would even be touching the trigger. I bought a cheap one from harbor freight, it was just like the PE little grey ones with a stop watch and clock etc.. And it was ok, but I bought a used exergen for $150 and it is dialed. I use it for my electrics, as well as temping the track for tire selection. If you race 2 or 3 rc cars then buy an exergen and it will last forever.
Hotbodies- 1/8 Scale World Champions•Viper R/C Solutions•Jconcepts-World champion bodies & tires• Dialed Inc- R/C car bags & Accessories •SIDEWINDER Racing Fuel•Kal-Gard- Racing lubricants & cleaners•
sider662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

to me i think every temp gun, whether you get a cheap 30 dollar one or s more expensive one, will be right around what the exergen reads. but the thing is, after a little bit, that cheap 30 dollar one will start to read worst and worst the more you use it. the exergen will read the same thing for a way longer time than the cheap ones.