R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #31
Tech Elite

I'd save my money if it's not exergen. I've yet to see one anywhere near as good. That is my opinion though.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #32
Tech Addict

One of the resons the Exergen is costly is having multiple sensors in the head and the ability to average the reading. This also contributes to its accuracy and repeatability.

Ed M.
bentgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Temp gun? what temp gun? Do i own one? Eye and ears. i have a contractors lazer rayteck one and i set my oven too 400 degrees and mine was within 3 degrees of it
Team Losi 8ight-T 2.0 // Team Losi 8ight-e 2.0 // Team losi /Novarossi Nitrotec r21 .21 // Futaba servos // Airtronics m11 // Coldfusion fuel // Fastlane Graphix // Ready Rollers Bearings // Reo Raceway // BCE Products
Nickd18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
i love my exergen, if it dies ill get another one. I tune by sound not temp but i also run electric. btw exergen brand is a medical brand, these are tested to be accurate. a cheap gun will be right some times but will be wrong sometimes too, my temps are usually similar as long as the weather hasnt changed
I see the same things only when using the exergen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
bs, i get to race with pros every week and they always use the gun, more of a reference. I use the gun mainly when breaking engines in
Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
I'm all for not using a temp gun to tune. I mainly use mine for breaking in engines and to periodically check temps just to make sure I'm in my comfortable range for what the engine "should" be running at on a race tune. Its still nice to have a good gun though. Exergen price maybe not. The one I've got was $75 and always reads the same as my buddy's exergen when I test it.

trust me bro from east of ohio, i wont use anything less then a exergen after nitro lessons from the captain. Not on my new top secret weapon at least.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I use a $25 Duratrax one and it's close to the expensive ones. I have found huge discrepancies with it before and thought it was junk. Turns out my lens had some pocket dust on it. A tiny bit of dirt on that sensor lens will throw your temps off big time +/- 40 degrees. For me, the accuracy is not that big of a deal. It's more of a constant to compare to the last time I ran. If it's hot, pinging and idling erratically, the motor will tell you before a temp gun will.
First Turn Racing www.FirstTurnRacing.com
TheFcuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Some rc company should come out with an exergen replica, and sell it for $50-$75. I bet they would sell like hotcakes.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
trust me bro from east of ohio, i wont use anything less then a exergen after nitro lessons from the captain. Not on my new top secret weapon at least.
Its not so top secret when we discussed what you were buying a few days ago.

You shouldn't even need to use the EXERGEN bro.

Maybe you should get off that Capitan... Morgan.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #38
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ight-racer View Post
HPI Temp Gun, $30 and within +/- 2 degrees of the Exergen. I have tested it with a few Exergen's and the HPI one is only 1-2 degrees off.
My Hpi has been the most reliable most accurate to date, Went though 5-6 of the OD's before they offered me the Hpi and i thought what the heck ill give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFcuddy View Post
I use a $25 Duratrax one and it's close to the expensive ones. I have found huge discrepancies with it before and thought it was junk. Turns out my lens had some pocket dust on it. A tiny bit of dirt on that sensor lens will throw your temps off big time +/- 40 degrees. For me, the accuracy is not that big of a deal. It's more of a constant to compare to the last time I ran. If it's hot, pinging and idling erratically, the motor will tell you before a temp gun will.

a BIG X2A dirty lens will give you BIG time False reading's....I see it all too many times guys throwing their temp guns in with their dirty pit bags and expecting the gun to read accurately with a LAYER of Dirt on the sensor....the ALL seeing EYE must be kept CLEAN as a whistle...I keep a specific Brush in a Zip loc bag to Clean my gun with and it goes Right back in the bag after a light dusting.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #39
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm all for not using a temp gun to tune. I mainly use mine for breaking in engines and to periodically check temps just to make sure I'm in my comfortable range for what the engine "should" be running at on a race tune. Its still nice to have a good gun though. Exergen price maybe not. The one I've got was $75 and always reads the same as my buddy's exergen when I test it.
the thing about the exergen temp probe is it stays accurate when taken care of for a looooong time

i use it for break in a looot , i also use it to check temps for reference to make sure i get the runtimes , yes it is critical
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

eyes and ears are only half of the battle i have seen motors run great with good smoke and good power but temps at 200
then same motor with carb necked down retuned still good smoke and same power but temps at 240ish and by the way fuel mileage went up 2 mins after retune
so yes temp is important and exergen is the best although have found that the raytech is also pretty good and when on sale are around 50 bucks
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Right on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9 View Post
+1. Anybody to pay over $50 for a temp gun is stupid. Alot of people at my local track dont even use the darn things, they know it good enough by ear and sight. But I myself use one b/c im new to all this.

Here is all you need, total of $16.48 shipped to your door! Its the exact one I ordered, works great! And even has a backlight! I get the same temps as other people get with their guns, so I guess its accurate. Enjoy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infrared-IR-Digi...item3a5b979609
I was looking at the one that goes to 500plus degrees, because it might be a little more accurate when the engine gets hotter. Like 35 bucks....
Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Its not so top secret when we discussed what you were buying a few days ago.

You shouldn't even need to use the EXERGEN bro.
I'm not hiding it from you.....

Yes you should.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
I'm not hiding it from you.....

Yes you should.

I guess we'll see this weekend now won't we.

I guess I can say tomorrow now. We'll see tomorrow.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickd18 View Post
i have a contractors lazer rayteck one and i set my oven too 400 degrees and mine was within 3 degrees of it
point proven, the cheap ones will also be within 3 degrees. We wre looking at the bigger numbers here, who cares if its 3 or even 5 degrees off. Its just used for a good guess on temp range

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFcuddy View Post
. Turns out my lens had some pocket dust on it. A tiny bit of dirt on that sensor lens will throw your temps off big time
I will have to remember that, I usually carry my temp gun to the track in my pocket. I got enough to carry in hand (box, buggy, Tx, fuel, etc.)
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

get this thermal imager. It's only 9,000$$$

http://www.testequity.com/Fluke%20Ti...src=googlebase

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote