R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i love my exergen, if it dies ill get another one. I tune by sound not temp but i also run electric. btw exergen brand is a medical brand, these are tested to be accurate. a cheap gun will be right some times but will be wrong sometimes too, my temps are usually similar as long as the weather hasnt changed

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I have had Rayteks are next n quality.....Some factory guys advertise in mags using cheaper temp guns but dont use them at the track?? They all use exergen..O'donnell too
hairymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
i love my exergen, if it dies ill get another one. I tune by sound not temp but i also run electric. btw exergen brand is a medical brand, these are tested to be accurate. a cheap gun will be right some times but will be wrong sometimes too, my temps are usually similar as long as the weather hasnt changed
That explains why its so damm expensive. Anytime you put "medical equipment" on something the cost triples.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
That explains why its so damm expensive. Anytime you put "medical equipment" on something the cost triples.
but the bad part is we pay it lol

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
Old 07-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Tech Adept

I am very happy with my exergen and would not recommend anything else. JMO. Some other temp guns at the track may be close one minute and then 30F the after a run. The only thing that was different after coming off the track was that the motor head was dusty changing the reflective characteristics of the head which appears to change the reading.

A good ear and smoke can help you tune a motor but an accurate temp gun will not hurt you either, especially if you are trying to precisely heat cycle a motor on break in.

Again JMO.

<>< Jesus answered, I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me.
WINTER350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

i use the losi temp tuner. its a screw driver and temp gun in one. i tested it and it was only +/- 2 dagrees. plus since its on the end of a screw driver you can make a quick temp check while tuning.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #22
Tech Adept

CHEAP products aint GOOD and GOOD products aint CHEAP!! Honestly a temp gun does nothing. If your motor is 220 and is running SUPER FAT (rich) then LEAN that B@#$% out. TEMP mean nothing "PERFORMANCE is EVERYTHING". IF it runs good at 270 and it doesnt sound LEAN or stutter off the line then your GOOD.

I am often around the pro guys (Drake, Truhe, King) and they rarely use them.
I have an EXERGEN BTW
Old 07-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #23
Tech Addict

The only time I use a temp gun is during break in. The rest of the time I tune to sound, performance, and smoke. After a race I might do the spit test just to get an idea about the temp.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99problems View Post
CHEAP products aint GOOD and GOOD products aint CHEAP!! Honestly a temp gun does nothing. If your motor is 220 and is running SUPER FAT (rich) then LEAN that B@#$% out. TEMP mean nothing "PERFORMANCE is EVERYTHING". IF it runs good at 270 and it doesnt sound LEAN or stutter off the line then your GOOD.

I have an EXERGEN BTW
bs, i get to race with pros every week and they always use the gun, more of a reference. I use the gun mainly when breaking engines in

Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
bs, i get to race with pros every week and they always use the gun, more of a reference. I use the gun mainly when breaking engines in
Not going to get in a pissin contest over a TEMP GUN!! Sure they have them, do they use em every 2 laps NO!!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

We have very high dollar temp guns at work...for very precise temperature work. The running in of very expensive multi class precision bearings is broken down to the fraction of a degree as a rule.

Far more accuracy dependent then say....medical requirements.

I've tested nearly all therms against our stuff...inaccurate for the most part, but great for the application...save your money, cheaper is better here.

From the priciest to the cheapest....5-7 degrees. The occasional way out tool that a novice would realize isn't close.

Most of you have no idea how to use a therm...20-30 degrees. If your therm has comp. for color, material, surface finish, etc.....AND you learn to use these features...you may increase your uninformed percentage by a couple of degrees.

And you'll need an averaging function 'cause we all have seen the the disparity when temping the "clock" around your head.

Really guys....I'm laughing out loud here.
cordarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99problems View Post

I have an EXERGEN BTW
So no temp gun is your point of view and yet you have $260 worth of worthless gun sitting in your pit box.

I do agree about tuning to performance and not temp. Sometimes my engines run 220's and sometimes 260's but if they perform its all the same to me.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm all for not using a temp gun to tune. I mainly use mine for breaking in engines and to periodically check temps just to make sure I'm in my comfortable range for what the engine "should" be running at on a race tune. Its still nice to have a good gun though. Exergen price maybe not. The one I've got was $75 and always reads the same as my buddy's exergen when I test it.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Considering I havent used since this year started I wouldnt say its completely worthless but if I had to have one Im going to get the BEST. I wouldnt advise getting a exergen if you dont have the money though any TEMP GUN is fine as long as you can HEAR and SEE.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one8updragracer View Post
There is NO reason for anyone in this sport to pay over $50 for a temp. gun. The cheap ones are close enough. My $30 one is within 2* of the expensive ones.
+1. Anybody to pay over $50 for a temp gun is stupid. Alot of people at my local track dont even use the darn things, they know it good enough by ear and sight. But I myself use one b/c im new to all this.

Here is all you need, total of $16.48 shipped to your door! Its the exact one I ordered, works great! And even has a backlight! I get the same temps as other people get with their guns, so I guess its accurate. Enjoy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infrared-IR-Digi...item3a5b979609
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote