R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default bearing replacement times?

When do you guys change your bearings? Let's go by # of races here for the following:

1. Clutch bearings
2. Wheel bearings
3. Diff (Front, center, rear) bearings (flanged)
4. Steering bearings (not sure what exactly u call them, they are for your servo saver and under the steering posts)
5. Engine front bearings
6. Engine main bearing

I hope I covered them all, if not plz chime in. Now I know some of you change these EVERY race. But im looking to get the very most out of the bearings. Like for instance the clutch bearings, most might change every race, but do some of you change them every 2-3 races? Or is some bearings a MUST for changing every race?

I dont mind changing the clutch bearings and the wheel bearings and most of the others, but the Diff bearings, are so much of a pain to change, whats the life usually on those?
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

imo. bearings go when ever. i keep large stock of clutch bell bearings they wear out the fastest. as for the engine...i replace mine every time i rebuild the engine...

i replace as needed and always replace in pairs...say right front goes...i replace the left side also.

if i were u...make a list of bearing sizes...my d8t has i belive 3 different sizes...i have 4 of each

clutch bell i have 10

engine bearings i have 2 sets

i hope this helps
killerkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well i take my truggy completly apart after every race weekend and check everything.Bearings on the diff i change when i replace diff fluid after about 4 or 5 races.I spray the chassie down with simplegreen and hose it off then blow it off with my compresser.Then i spray wd40 on the wheel bearings/a-arm pivot points and blow it off again it helps extend bearing life.When its apart spin the driveline and if it's smooth with little noise coming from the bearings your good for another race.Same with clutch bearings check em after every race.Replace them when you need to.I do my engine bearings when i get the engine repinched.Just keep an eye on the front bearing.Really what it comes down to is there's no set time to replace anything.If you go over it after every race you'll find whats going bad and replace it.Good luck
blacksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Killerkoolaid summed it up pretty well: clutch bearings being small and taking a lot of heat, load and RPMs should be checked after every race, and replaced as soon as they feel notchy or gritty (usually every 2-3 race weekends.)

It's recommended to tear-down your car and check bearings (as well as other parts) every 2 race weekends. Some who are more maintenance-fanatic probably do it after every race weekend, which is also OK. In short, the goal is to try to catch a potential failure before it happens.

Bare in mind that variables like driving style, your propensity to crash, the track layout (big jumps!) you run on and even the type of surface will all influence how long your parts/bearings will last.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I only replace bearings when the balls fall out of the races, but I wouldn't recommend that schedule. LOL...

As the others said, clutch bearings regularly (like 1/2 gall or so). If you use cheapo's, i'd go every race day.

Just check for gritty feeling movement on others when you tear your car down.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Tech Regular

1. Clutch bearings -> Fresh ones for mains, keep them in till next race through the qualifiers, then replace with fresh ones for that main.
2. Wheel bearings -> 3 races
3. Diff's -> 3-5 races
4. Steering bearings -> 5-6 Races
5. Engine front bearings -> 3-5 Gallons
6. Engine main bearing -> 5 Gallons

*Diff Cases -> 2-3 races

XB808 2009, Ninja JX21
jk1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Clutch bearings i change after every race but save old ones for practice and breaking in new motors

wheel bearings are checked after every race and replace if necessary.

Motor bearings are replaced at rebuild time or if front is too leaky or bearings go bad(you'll know your motor will make a bad noise)

Diff bearings get replaced when i go thru the diffs bad or not(about every 2 gallons of gas).

Steering bearings when they feel gritty.

I use dollar avid bearings for clutch/wheel/diffs/steering and never had an issue using this system. It's alot of maintenance but worth it. Knock on wood but i have never failed to finish a race.
Spektrum
Proline/J Concepts/AKA
bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksunshine View Post
Well i take my truggy completly apart after every race weekend and check everything.Bearings on the diff i change when i replace diff fluid after about 4 or 5 races.I spray the chassie down with simplegreen and hose it off then blow it off with my compresser.Then i spray wd40 on the wheel bearings/a-arm pivot points and blow it off again it helps extend bearing life.When its apart spin the driveline and if it's smooth with little noise coming from the bearings your good for another race.Same with clutch bearings check em after every race.Replace them when you need to.I do my engine bearings when i get the engine repinched.Just keep an eye on the front bearing.Really what it comes down to is there's no set time to replace anything.If you go over it after every race you'll find whats going bad and replace it.Good luck
i wouldnt use a wet lubricant...they tend to collect dust and what not...that is the mail bearing killer out there...i use a dry silicone spray...because it doesnt leave an oily residue
killerkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Tech Adept

I replace them annually in my drag car. Or between points seasons. Or after banging the wall hard. Other than that; when they need it.

I'm talking shielded bearings here. Clean the bearing first. I use an old-fashioned low-tech RPM 'Bearing Blaster'. Then, prior to re-lubing, balance the bearing on the sharp end of a #2 wooden pencil and turn it through. It's easy to feel a flat spotted or rusty ball that way. The hang or skip is very noticeable.

For sealed bearings, the above method may not pick up any bearing damage. Because the drag the seal causes may mask bearing damage. I suspect that is why some racers just 'pitch'em' and replace 'em. Now that I am transitioning back to dirt, that may be the workable option for sealed's.

I like the idea of a dry lube. Didn't have to consider that problem with the drag car; but dirt? If a sealed bearing is not affordable; then the dry lube route may be preferable to a wet lube for a shielded bearing.

At present, I use Remington (rifle) brand Rem Oil W/ Teflon for my shielded bearings. No problems with it four years running now. Not sure how that info transfers to nitro dirt bearings though. Probably not advisable (See above para). FWIW.

I looked into ultrasonic cleaning. The method was o.k. But the solutions I found were caustic to aluminm; so backed away from that. Simply because I couldn't justify the expense of a bearing-only cleaning system if it didn't work for other parts on the car too.

My 2cents. Interesting topic. Good luck guys (and gals).

-AC-