Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
24 hour race, whats the best complete set up! >

24 hour race, whats the best complete set up!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 hour race, whats the best complete set up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default 24 hour race, whats the best complete set up!

if u were going into a 24 hour race what would u use for buggy, engine servos and radio, and what else would u do to prepare that cat for the kind of time? so basically i wanna no how U would go into a race like this n what u would do to have the best advantages to beat ur competition. thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

make shure you got 2-3 engines tuned good and newer with the clucth setup and everything ready to swap out quick. grease all your crown gears good,go with higher diff fluids and shock fluids, ceramic bearings, make it easy to switch out receiver battery, oil clutch bearings every 2 pits,and drive smooth, and easy on the gas to not stess the motor as much and longer clutch life. id also have my pit man spray the arms and stuff with wd40 every 5-6 pits just to keep the friction down.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

24 hours would be rough......in the end pick a durable rig that can hold up to severe pain. Buy like 2 or 3 of them. Build them all...break em down into sections and have sections ready to drop in during the race. It's faster to swap the entire front suspension area than it would be to replace an arm kind of thing.

Engine...that would be a rough one....can these little Nitro run a full 24 hours? I mean 1 gallon of fuel will give you 25(ish) tanks of fuel in a Truggy (maybe 27 or so in a Buggy) and at say 9 minutes per tank...you'd get roughly 3.5 - 3.75 hours of runtime out of a gallon so that would be just @ 7 gallons over the course of the race. I would probably pickup a few of the $200 and under range engines and have em all broken in and swap them if needed ;-) 7 gallons is a LOT of fuel to run through without a break.....

I would also have a few sets of tires....possibly hard compound so they last longer.....a handful of glow plugs for sure....and a few cases of fuel ;-) And don't forget a small Army of RX Packs and TX Batteries as well.

Servos....just get something durable. a few sets of them....in radio trays ready to drop in if you have a servo failure. Just drop in a whole new tray and keep truckin.

Depends on your budget for the race of course....but those are what I would do if I could afford it ;-)
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

boy even if u could source all the materials stated above to do it. finding 20-30 more people to prepare rides of their own in 5-7man teams willing to spend the same time $ and effort. indeed a challenge almost equal to the 24hrs themselves.

R
Old 07-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Man would it be fun though ;-)
Old 07-25-2010, 06:43 PM
JG!
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Remember to prepare yourself as well.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Email me at [email protected], I own the Speed Shop and we are a "Race Prep" shop. Our guys do work for some of the fastest racers in the world.

If you have some time that we can organize this and you supply the shop with all the equipment needed I would be glad to do your preperation/setup work free of charge for this 24 hour event.

Hope to talk with you soon!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whatever buggy you decide on, i would bring two of them completely ready to race, (motor/pipe/electronics) and enough spares to build a third. Also bring a good pitman to wrench on one while your driving the other. Make your rx pack easy to swap, and bring 2-3 spares of everything including motors/clutch, pipes, servos, recievers, rx packs tx packs, lots of fuel and tires, glowplugs, some adult diapers,lol......ect. It would be fun to do a 24hr race, but the cost and stress would be insane.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

i would by 4 losi 8ight 2.0 rtrs.Then buy about 10 battery packs, a few chargers, 10 gallons of fuel, switch cars every 6 hours. Buy lots of medium compound tires and have fun.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Don t forget a good and strong coffe
Old 07-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

What are the rules for chassis.

If you can change chassis, then I would prepare 4 buggies. Set up 3 to run and one for parts. If you have time get 4 of the MRT cloned transponders with all the same #. Plan to swap buggies every 4 hours, swap rec packs every hour or so. after a buggy has run then have a few guys working to check it over and get it back racing condition. Have a couple extra servo trays ready to go. May see about covering the bottom of the chassis screws with duct tape or something of the like to keep dirt out of the screw heads, so if you do have to wrench it would be easier to get to. With the Losi you could have prebuilt flywheels ready to installed on the buggy in a matter of minutes. Build you a stand to hold the buggy securely during pitstops while changing tires and stuff so that while the driver blips the throttle its not bouncing all around. As for a radio a dx3r with a 2 cell 2000 mah pack should last a looong time, maybe have 2 of those ready to go. Setup a little drill/driver with a 17mm socket to help speed tire cchanges.

Sounds fun, I have run 4 hour endurance sportbike races and they were a blast. Just be consistant and have good communication with your crew
Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

great Googly-Moogly!!! A 24 hour race for 1/8 buggies is the equivalent of half a year!!! ( like dog years, but the math is slightly different.)

You would literally need AT LEAST quadruple of everything from tires to servos & bearings and then some. An extremely pricy undertaking at the very least; hope the bragging rights of the victor are worth it
Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Man that's going to be an expensive race 2-3 cars and at least 2 engines. Some buddies and I were going to do a 3 hour endure race with teams of 3 where each driver drives for 20 mins and then switch, but we decided against it because it would trash an engine and pretty much a car. The cost just got too high. A 24h race would be insane. I think it would all boil downtown who's car lasted the longest. But I agree with all the suggestions above. Spare cars and front/ rear clips all built and ready to drop in an electric screw driver with a battery or 2 and 7955 servos idk if there is Nothsr servo that could handle that kind of abuse. Definatly go lipo and swap them out every 1-1.5 hours rotate through 3 or 4 batteries and charge as you go and man 24 sets of tires or maybe 12 if you get hard compounds. So let's see 2 engines (500) 2 cars (1000) 7 gallons of fuel (250) 15 sets of tires (900) misc stuff (500) 7 clutche sets (200). So 3-4k+ for a 24 hour race session I hope you have some sponsors.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Make sure you have time for bathroom breaks also. lol
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A 24hr 1/5 baja race i can see possible(As its already been done)......A 24hr buggy race....I dunno....seems a little too pricey when you factor everything in and really are you going to find another 8-10 teams even willing to attempt something like this to make it remotely Worth it ?

Good luck either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.