R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

I have a D8 and like I was saying earlier about rebound. Right now I have 28f and 29r but I am almost maxxed out on the adjustment on the rear. Grey f and white r, 400 shock oil.
jimmy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808gx7r View Post
droop plays a part in it... if you think it doesnt... your retarded.
I'd tend to think you are retarded but before that I'd like to hear your explanation how droop adjustment changes rideheight ?
Poinas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You'll have to run with very little droop to have it impact on ride height, either that or your ride hight is way high. If the car is setup properly, none of the two should impact the other.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I anxiously await Integra's reply
Old 07-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinas2 View Post
I'd tend to think you are retarded but before that I'd like to hear your explanation how droop adjustment changes rideheight ?
ride height and droop are in direct relation to each other. they both change each other alot. for example lets keep it simple;

if your ride height is 30mm and you set your droop at 35mm. chassis droop is measured by the distance it take for the tires to lift off the ground from ride height. so from 30mm it takes an extra 5mm for your wheels to lift off the ground; that 5mm is how much droop your running.

now if you change your ride height to 28mm, but do not adjust your shock length or your arm downstops. your chassis now has 7mm of droop since you lowered your ride height 2mm. it will still take 35mm total from the setup board to the chassis to lift the wheels off the ground, since you didnt change your shock length or your arm downstops to keep your 5mm droop value.

your shock length will limit ride height alot more than the arm downstops on an offroad buggy. arm downstops are used alot more to set droop with onroad touring cars.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle133 View Post
ride height and droop are in direct relation to each other. they both change each other alot. for example lets keep it simple;

if your ride height is 30mm and you set your droop at 35mm. chassis droop is measured by the distance it take for the tires to lift off the ground from ride height. so from 30mm it takes an extra 5mm for your wheels to lift off the ground; that 5mm is how much droop your running.

now if you change your ride height to 28mm, but do not adjust your shock length or your arm downstops. your chassis now has 7mm of droop since you lowered your ride height 2mm. it will still take 35mm total from the setup board to the chassis to lift the wheels off the ground, since you didnt change your shock length or your arm downstops to keep your 5mm droop value.

your shock length will limit ride height alot more than the arm downstops on an offroad buggy. arm downstops are used alot more to set droop with onroad touring cars.
I still don't understand. In your explanation ride height is still just ride height. Droop does not become a factor until the vehicle starts to come off of the ground. Ride height and droop are both key parts in how the suspension will work but they seem to be separate from one another (to me
Sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
droop plays a part in it... if you think it doesnt... your retarded.
This is just a really bad post that starts flame wars. If you disagree with another forum members opinion then just say you disagree and why. You insult this man and then you don't even explain why. I hope this does not start a back and forth thing that ruins a lot of good threads.

Please, Integra don't respond with the same retardedness

Last edited by Sein; 07-27-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Wow did not mean for this, just was'nt sure and wanted some opinions thanks.
jimmy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sein View Post
This is just a really bad post that starts flame wars. If you disagree with another forum members opinion then just say you disagree and why. You insult this man and then you don't even explain why. I hope this does not start a back a forth thing that ruin a lot of good threads.

Please, Integra don't respond with the same retardedness
i never insulted him. it was the choice. he makes himself. i just put that there so he did his research before he posted it. i dont care if he has 7000 posts... dooesnt mean you know everything.

i posted this because i own 3 buggy's mbx6, losi 1.0. and xray 808. and droop always effects my ride height. i will always set my droop before ride height. if i dont the ride height ends up way to high
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Guess I'm retarded too. droop screw have ZERO to do with setting ride height! Kinda uncalled for dont you think?

You need to look at spring rates as well. If you find you need to dial in a ton of preload to get your ride height where you want it then you may have sprins that are too soft. You may also have suspension binding somewhere such as hinge pins. I can tell when I am binding when I have height set but after a few qualy's I have to dial in more preload to get it back up to where I need it. It is also a good idea to use calipers to measure preload left to right so that they are equal.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
i never insulted him. it was the choice. he makes himself. i just put that there so he did his research before he posted it. i dont care if he has 7000 posts... dooesnt mean you know everything.

i posted this because i own 3 buggy's mbx6, losi 1.0. and xray 808. and droop always effects my ride height. i will always set my droop before ride height. if i dont the ride height ends up way to high
Don't worry about it bro! Let just get back on point.

Now you say your droop makes your ride height too high.

Lets just define droop:

Droop -- The measure of shock droop is the amount of uptravel the chassis will have if you weigh the car with its full running gear (servo, batteries, motor, etc.), settle the chassis (press down and release on the chassis), then lift each end until the tires lift off the ground. The total upward movement of the chassis at each end is measured as droop.

Now ride height:

Ride Height -- The space between the lowest part of the chassis and the ground, measured with all of the car's electronics installed; racers measure the front and the rear ride heights separately. There should be enough ride height so that the suspension can be engaged enough to soak up whatever bumps and dips occur on the track, but the chassis should be low enough to the ground so there isn't too much chassis roll (related to shock settings).

I can adjust my ride height and my droop does not have to change.

And to answer the original question, just compressing the springs is the proper way to raise ride height.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sein View Post
Don't worry about it bro! Let just get back on point.

Now you say your droop makes your ride height too high.

Lets just define droop:

Droop -- The measure of shock droop is the amount of uptravel the chassis will have if you weigh the car with its full running gear (servo, batteries, motor, etc.), settle the chassis (press down and release on the chassis), then lift each end until the tires lift off the ground. The total upward movement of the chassis at each end is measured as droop.

Now ride height:

Ride Height -- The space between the lowest part of the chassis and the ground, measured with all of the car's electronics installed; racers measure the front and the rear ride heights separately. There should be enough ride height so that the suspension can be engaged enough to soak up whatever bumps and dips occur on the track, but the chassis should be low enough to the ground so there isn't too much chassis roll (related to shock settings).

I can adjust my ride height and my droop does not have to change.

And to answer the original question, just compressing the springs is the proper way to raise ride height.
mine effects mine... thats all i know... and i have 3 buggys that it effects... fine tuning can be a pain with it...im just laughing @ you.
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote