R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Begging for help please :( (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/420099-begging-help-please.html)

cyclone speed 07-26-2010 10:35 AM

Begging for help please :(

Hello everyone,

I just got my new nitro buggy ( sooo happy ) and ive been using it for bashing and its been working properly for about 7 runs until earlier on, i was on the grasse and it suddenly went very fast and bang into the wall , luckilynothing got broken execpt a plastic shock holder .
Unfortunatly, between the moment it went into the wall and it stopped, there was like 2 mins ( running for 2 mins at high speed ) and then it stopped even tho there was still some petrol left . The motor is a GXR18, the normal color is blue, but the color changed to brown ( oops lol ) after the 2 mins .
I finally took it off when it stopped, put it down and took it apart, i found out that the central diif had a hole in it ( :sweat: ) one of the " pignon " had gone out . my guess is that when it was running at high speed ( even tho it was blocked against the wall ) it created heat and made a litle hole next to the pignon and it blew off after .....
My question : is my motor broken or do i have to change something ?
I have orderedd some parts but id like to know what to do most ...
PS : my car is a Kyosho DST

Thank you for any help, im really desperate :(

Jaz240 07-26-2010 10:58 AM

The only way you will know if the engine grenaded is to try and restart it. as far as your center diff buy a new case and put it all back together with new oil and that should be fine unless you stripped some gears. I dont know what you mean buy it used to be blue but now its brown..Was that the fuel?

Trevor Williams 07-26-2010 11:02 AM

I believe this is what he is trying to say.

the engine cooling head has discolored to brown from blue due to excessive heat.........yes, most likely, your engine is toast.......

pictures would really help.....

cyclone speed 07-26-2010 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 7720868)
The only way you will know if the engine grenaded is to try and restart it. as far as your center diff buy a new case and put it all back together with new oil and that should be fine unless you stripped some gears. I dont know what you mean buy it used to be blue but now its brown..Was that the fuel?

Thank you for the answer, but i meant blue to brown : the heatsink on top of the nitro motor went from blue to brown , and if i want to restart it and stop it , how would i stop it ? I mean how to stop the running engine as its not electric so there isnt a simple switch .
Btw, i know u didnt ask but u mentioned fuel so i was using 16% rocket fuel .
Thanks

Trevor Williams 07-26-2010 11:08 AM

to save your car from death rev:
put your foot against the flywheel from the underneath side of your chassis, you will see a cutout where your flywheel sits ;)

Jaz240 07-26-2010 11:13 AM

dont bother trying to restart it. If your cooling head is discolored due to the heat your engine is toast. You may get it to fire up you will not be able to keep it running. Your connecting rod and compression are more than likely both gone. If you want to try to salvage anything the best thing is to take it to a track or hobby shop and get some help. have them look at your electronics also since you had a run away. there are things you can check and do to make sure that does not happen again with your new engine

jmaxey51 07-26-2010 11:36 AM

i have a engine that the cooliing head changed from black to purple due to heat and i still have it as a back up....

cyclone speed 07-26-2010 12:06 PM

oh noooo, im guessing il need to buy a new engine , omg thats anoying, but is there some parts that can be replaced or i really cant do anything else then bin it ?
what motor would you guys recomend with a side exhaust ? and also, when i bought the car, the seller a french guy said " before you starts jumping and before going high speed u have to prepare it " he ment that before using it , i had to do 3 fuel tanks without accelerating , only leaving it to idle, the fourth run i could accelerate very very very slowly, 5th run i could go faster and 6th run i could use it as normall . in french its called " rodage " in english i think its called " running in " , never mind .
I would like a motor that wont need that procedure.

Thank you :)

Failedabortion 07-26-2010 12:46 PM

You will have to break in any motor you buy new, unless you buy a used one broken in already. Lhs may offer a break in service though.

cyclone speed 07-26-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Failedabortion (Post 7721233)
You will have to break in any motor you buy new, unless you buy a used one broken in already. Lhs may offer a break in service though.

ohh so is the procedure called " break-in " ? the procedure of 3 idle , 1 slow , 1 quicker and 1 fast ? Its called break-in ?
Ok, so any new motor i buy will need the break in procedure .......
Do you know if i can make my " toasted " or " grenaded " gxr18 back to work ? can i get parts or ......
Also, if i get a new motor ( quicker or slower ) do i need to change the gearing ?

Thanks

Jaz240 07-26-2010 01:37 PM

you can buy a new piston and sleeve and rod but chances are:
1. it will just as expensive as buying a new engine
2. Your bearings may be no good also after the runaway

I dont want to sound like a jerk but this is a subject that is very difficult to help you with online. Someone would need to see your engine to tell if its shot or not. You should also get help with picking a new one and help with break in. Do you have a local hobby shop or a track that you can go to to get help?

BAUSTIN 07-26-2010 01:49 PM

some manufactures offer a "pre run" new engine....Ed is one i know of...so it would be a JS I think Nova does as well........but usually only in the .21 size i dont think it is offered in a .18

a Piston/sleve is ony 28$ us......it may be worth fixing....you need to have it looked at before you spend anything on it though like mentioned above.....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Cylinder-Set

the crank is 19$ us

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ankshaft-GXR18

also these parts would require to break-in the engine like it was new.....the new engine is 145$ us
and it still might not be worth it if the bearings are shot as well.........then i would look at something like this LRP 115$ us new......if you plan on fixing it you need to have it looked at before you spend anything like jaz said.......

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...e-w-Pull-Start

I usually use a rock or screwdriver to stop my flywheel...

rcdude236 07-26-2010 01:56 PM

if you have no body on or you can take your body off easy put your finger over the carb hole. Shuts the car off immediatly.

ScottyM 07-26-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by rcdude236 (Post 7721522)
if you have no body on or you can take your body off easy put your finger over the carb hole. Shuts the car off immediatly.

You should be using an air filter, assuming you want the engine to live very long.. Hence you cannot use a finger over the carb..

Best way to stop and engine is screw driver handle on the flywheel..

Razathorn 07-26-2010 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty! (Post 7721842)
You should be using an air filter, assuming you want the engine to live very long.. Hence you cannot use a finger over the carb..

Best way to stop and engine is screw driver handle on the flywheel..

You can stop em with a finger on the carb -- you just shove the air filter hose down into the carb with your thumb from one side.