R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
A 24hr 1/5 baja race i can see possible(As its already been done)......A 24hr buggy race....I dunno....seems a little too pricey when you factor everything in and really are you going to find another 8-10 teams even willing to attempt something like this to make it remotely Worth it ?

Good luck either way.
I'll share my thoughts and view points.

I would think you would want to do 4 man teams with a $400 entry fee for a enduro event. This way each member could pay $100 and split the cost up on entry and equipment. The track should do this for fun and do a "winner takes all" so that a event like this is worth it for the drivers. Have 10-12 teams and your looking at $4000 for the winner.

To make this be somewhat affordable without getting crazy you have to set some rules. It's a enduro for one car, not a enduro for you to switch a car to a new one 3-4 times. In my opinion you have to run one car. You don't want to run everyone off with all the talk of 4 cars, 6 engines, etc. Make it fun. Here is what I think:

One main cair has to be used.

each team can have one extra radio tray built, after that you have to switch servos or build them into original tray.

Each team can use a maximum of 3 sets of tires for the entire event.

Each team is allowed the use of only TWO engines for the duration.

Each team must supply one corner marshal at all times.

No "pre-built" front or rear ends allowed, each team must replace faulty part only. If arm breaks you have to replace arm. If pinion goes you have to replace pinion.

If rules like this are put in place then teams can actually afford it and hard work will win, instead of a new car every few hours. It's a enduro and it's about one car finishing a long race.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post

I would think you would want to do 4 man teams with a $400 entry fee for a enduro event. This way each member could pay $100 and split the cost up on entry and equipment. The track should do this for fun and do a "winner takes all" so that a event like this is worth it for the drivers. Have 10-12 teams and your looking at $4000 for the winner.

To make this be somewhat affordable without getting crazy you have to set some rules. It's a enduro for one car, not a enduro for you to switch a car to a new one 3-4 times. In my opinion you have to run one car. You don't want to run everyone off with all the talk of 4 cars, 6 engines, etc. Make it fun. Here is what I think:

each team can have one extra radio tray built, after that you have to switch servos or build them into original tray.

No "pre-built" front or rear ends allowed, each team must replace faulty part only. If arm breaks you have to replace arm. If pinion goes you have to replace pinion.

If rules like this are put in place then teams can actually afford it and hard work will win, instead of a new car every few hours. It's a enduro and it's about one car finishing a long race.

Hope this helps!
+1
Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Much better Alan.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post

Hope this helps!
This sounds like a much better (and seemingly rational) proposition given that it's an endurance race, but I wonder about the practicality of it.

From what I've seen, one hour of racing is usually hard enough on a car, and I can't help but wonder if maybe half of those 24 hours won't be spent with the car on the wrenching table. In fact, it wouldn't be such a stretch to conceive of periods of time towards the end of the 24 hours where there are no cars actually on the track, but all on the bench as crews work furiously to get the buggy race-worthy. Either way, I've never seen anyone try to go this long a stretch, so it'll definitely be an interesting first
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to VWVR6_T

This is a good video to watch is a 1/5 scale 24hrs. Endurance race. Just an Idea what you are up to,
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
QUOTE by FLHX1550 "The Werks B5 is kind of a legend"
VWVR6_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

I agree with AB. We did a few GMK supply enduro races and they were a blast! 3hr race only the chassis has to stay the same but we were allowed to replace anything on the car just not the chassis, so clips were allowed. that way if you and a teammate own the same car you can prep for the race that way. 3 drivers, 1 drives, 1 pits, and 1 marshals, rotating as needed. I think many would be surprised how long our cars can run without a hiccup.

what i wanna know is when do you eat, sleep and drop a deuce?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #22
Tech Elite

I would think you need a team of 6 at least to keep everyone alert and safe. ina 24 hr race. The total $$ could get high for the win. Unless you have a list of sponsors.:Kit/parts/engines/bearings....., fuel and so on nod:
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

a 24hr rc race world b sick
grimeyspecv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've heard of electric guys doing enduro 24hrs, bring it on for the nitro buggies i say!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

24 hours of solid running is more time then i put on my car in at least a year.

hope you win more then 50-100 bucks for winning

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think a 24 hour race would be sort of like driving from florida to california. Sounds like a fun experience but once you get to Louisiana the fun sort of wears off... 6 hour would be cool though, I have the attention span for that.
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i figured there r 24 hr races for 8th scale nitro so its a bit of a shock to read that no ones tried it, since its not happened b4 maybe we can theoredically lay down some rules incase someone reads this n wants to hold such n event. i would start by a couple of structure rules:

4 drivers max

2 hours max behind the wheel (1 driving 1 pitting 1 marshall 1 asleep)

3 engines

incase of a blown diff or diff housing damage or broken arm u can use a spare front end or rear end to keep time down but u have to refix the broken parts n finish with original front or rear end. under no other circumstances can u switch front or rear ends!

team entry is 150$ and top 2 will split winnings and hopefully we could get sponsors to help throw in some cool winning prizes like n engine.

feel free to add to the rules!
Matt Piva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

I think if you ran really slow you would win. You wouldnt break parts and engines would last a hell of a lot longer. Tune them at about 200 degrees and run about half speed. Sounds like a winning plan to me.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote