R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i dont run them but in san diego at 1/8th wonder track they race a 1/5th class and they do pretty good and yes they eat the track a little but that is good because layout gets changed more often so if you are close to san diego friday nights at barona 1/8th wonder track supports 1/5th and usually has enough to split them into buggy and truck class
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I wish xray made one................... oh well,
i'll keep dreaming
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

xray 1/5 buggy=$10,000 roller
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
Now those vehicles look more like what I would expect from companies here in the US. How can we get one of those here in the States?
You probably have to import them from Europe. Send me a PM for contact information if you are interested in a Elcon or Hormann car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
And as far as cost goes, the initial start up price might be high compared to 1/8 but when you factor all the other things you have to have with the 1/8th vehicles (starter box, expensive nitro fuel ect.) 1/5 gas vehicles actually come out cheaper in the long run.
They aren't cheaper in the long run, only the fuel is cheaper. Parts, tyres and engine are more expensive then 1/8th cars. A competitive race car alone will cost around 2500 euro (approx. $3250), you can buy a lot of nitro for the price difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
I'm surprised any of those run well at all. All that heavy aluminum (bends) and they look like 1/8th cars from 20 years ago.

Another issue is land, 1/5th cars require huge open tracks to be any fun (ever run a 1/8th car on a small 1/10th track?) and huge pieces of decent land is hard to come by for free in most places.
They may look heavy but are really fast. On small technical tracks they are a bit slower then 1/8th cars but on wide open track, where they can use the engine power, they are faster then 1/8th cars. Acceleration is very impressive and the cars are hitting top speeds of 60mph during racing on the long straights.

To race you don't need such a big track, a good sized 1/8th track with a track width of 12 feet will do. Last week we were at the Euros which was held on the 1/8th track of WMW Fehring in Austria and the cars were running the same lap times 1/8th buggy's and truggy's. Some pictures and video's of the event can be found here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
X2...not to mention 24hrs of listening to jet pro style pipe's would drive me Bonkers.
You won't see any Jet Pro style pipe on official events here in Europe. All the cars are running EFRA controlled pipes which may not produce noise in excess of 80db.