R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
ngl
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default exhaust gas cooler

do exhaust gas coolers really help at all?

what do they help with?
how do they work?

could it also possily help keep my engine from flaming out on hot days when the mixture becomes leaner?

thanks

also, would it be a bad idea to try one on the fuel supply line as well on hot days? just an idea!
ngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Exhaust Gas Coolers? Good or Bad
Old 07-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Me personally being a technician for almost 10 years I say they are a bunch of BS. Those fins IMO will not do a damn thing. The exhaust gas passes through that so fast it cannot have an effect. People tend to thing since there are fins then its like a radiator or cooling head. Not true in my opinion. In a radiator the fluid flows throuch numerious veins and has air to cool it. Also a cooling head has air flowing over it to cool it and all the heat is in one place so the fins dissapate the heat. There is not air going over the gas cooler and not passageways for the gas to pass through to have time to cool.

Again just my opinion. I will never waste my money on one.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmsgt View Post
Me personally being a technician for almost 10 years I say they are a bunch of BS. Those fins IMO will not do a damn thing. The exhaust gas passes through that so fast it cannot have an effect. People tend to thing since there are fins then its like a radiator or cooling head. Not true in my opinion. In a radiator the fluid flows throuch numerious veins and has air to cool it. Also a cooling head has air flowing over it to cool it and all the heat is in one place so the fins dissapate the heat. There is not air going over the gas cooler and not passageways for the gas to pass through to have time to cool.

Again just my opinion. I will never waste my money on one.
+1
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

they work. no run time difference for me but the tune is way more consistent.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
they work. no run time difference for me but the tune is way more consistent.
This is the only reason I can think of it making more consistency toward a tune. If for some reason it really is more consistent its because in all actuality by installing one of these so called "coolers" you are doing the same thing as lengthening your exhaust pressure line. The exhaust has to push more volume of gas to the fuel tank therefore making pressure pulses less noticeable, same as adding the fuel line. The shorter the line the less consitent, longer is more consistent. Again just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You're forgetting the main benefit, one that is the draw for most popular RC products: They look sweet!
SoonerNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
This is the only reason I can think of it making more consistency toward a tune. If for some reason it really is more consistent its because in all actuality by installing one of these so called "coolers" you are doing the same thing as lengthening your exhaust pressure line. The exhaust has to push more volume of gas to the fuel tank therefore making pressure pulses less noticeable, same as adding the fuel line. The shorter the line the less consitent, longer is more consistent. Again just my opinion.
my line with cooler is now shorter. but i have a custom made one, a machinist made it for me. however i would buy one any day, they do make a big difference, try one out and youll always use it.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Tech Master

Well maybe if i find a free one I will try it LOL! Ill ask at the track if anyone has an extra. Im cheap lmao.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Say what you will but the exhaust coolers do work. I put one to the test in my buggy using all the same equipment and the cooler being the only variable. I gained between 25-40 seconds runtime. For me this was the difference between being able to run a 10 minute qualifier without pitting. Your tune should not be affected. The only way the tune would be thrown off is if you somehow managed to develop an air leak through the cooler which is possible. Some of the coolers have threaded fittings which need to have the threads sealed to avoid any leaks. Some coolers like the one from RB are one piece so leaks are not an issue. As far as flaming in the pits a lot of it is in the tune, usually to rich on the bottom. Get the proper glow plug, get your tune right and then I would try the cooler out. A few seconds may not sound like much but in racing every little bit counts.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Well maybe if i find a free one I will try it LOL! Ill ask at the track if anyone has an extra. Im cheap lmao.
I'll let you try one Chris for the low price of free lol. With me I put it on cuz vie seen tons of guys use them, and yes they do look cool, but the only way for me to use it is if it rests on the pipe! I used tape on the ends to prop it up but over time the tape melts. I'm actually making it to be on the side of the fuel tank but that's gonna take an extra foot of tubing. But do I know if it makes a difference idk.

How can you really know it gets u more run time, say the weather drops 10-15-20 degrees when the sun goes away, or you replace your 2 gallon old glow plug with a new one, etc.

Andy
SCRC Spacecoast RC www.spacecoastrc.com
02maxima18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02maxima18 View Post
I'll let you try one Chris for the low price of free lol. With me I put it on cuz vie seen tons of guys use them, and yes they do look cool, but the only way for me to use it is if it rests on the pipe! I used tape on the ends to prop it up but over time the tape melts. I'm actually making it to be on the side of the fuel tank but that's gonna take an extra foot of tubing. But do I know if it makes a difference idk.

How can you really know it gets u more run time, say the weather drops 10-15-20 degrees when the sun goes away, or you replace your 2 gallon old glow plug with a new one, etc.

Andy
the HB tanks make it super easy to mount on the side of the tanks

my run time didnt really change for me, it actually went down it just tuned so much better so i was a little throttle happy at the race but with the exhaust cooler i didnt have to change the tune at all, it would be worth 50 bucks not having to full around with the tune, i just loved cranking it up and not having to touch the needles all day and into the night.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I use a cooler. I temped line in and line out and there was a 10* difference. Dont know about the temp difference in the tank. The 10* change was good enough for me.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
Tech Regular

I don't have one and I don't know/care if they work but I have some input.
It seems like everyone thinks the exhaust gas passes through in large amount and very fast! That is not true. The pressure line is there to keep PRESSURE on the fuel. There is actually not that much exhaust that goes THROUGH the line.
When you open the lid and re-fuel the pressure goes out and when you close the lid a small amount of gas will go into the tank until it's full and the pressure is built up, then there is no more exhaust gas going THROUGH the line/cooler. During the race the tank will get drained of fuel and the now empty space in the tank will get filled with exhaust gas but this is such a small amount and it is entering slowly.
Therefor a exhaust gas cooler will have very small or no effect.

For those who have measured the input vs output temp has just let the gas pass through the cooler and may have gotten some differences.
To measure this correctly you would have to have one probe inserted in the exhaust line before AND after the cooler with the car running on a track and with the tank lid closed all the time.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to shesha

I have tested a couple, and in all honesty the only gain i got from them is the consistency in the pressure especially in pit stops, seems like the car would not be so affected by fresh fuel hitting the tank especially when coming on a pit stop on fumes.

I did notice that in extreme hot days they minimized the flame outs in pit stops, but in fuel mileage gain, there are just to many variables to determine if it's the driving or the track condition on that day etc.

I would go with vents on the front side of the exhaust to keep things cool there as opposed to fitting the gas cooler.

In onroad the gas cooler effect was much more apparent then in in offroad.

If i am not mistaken they first came out for onroad, but I could be mistaken.