R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
segui305's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: miami, fl
Posts: 166
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to segui305
Default i want to rebuild my losi 8ight 2.0

i want to rebuild my losi 8ight 2.0 race roller, what parts should i get to rebuild it and do you think its just worth to buy a new roller? what would be cheaper??
__________________
Team Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy- Proline- j concept- Futaba 3pks Spektrum module- hi-tec servos- jr9811-Dynamite Mach .21-OS VZB V-SPEC .21-Team Str8 killaz
segui305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
K_B
Tech Master
 
K_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,434
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

You need to determine what to buy when you tear into it and figure out what's worn out.

You'll probably find a few bearings that need to be replaced, you'll wanna change the oil in the diffs, maybe shock oil as well. Replace torn shock boots, bent hinge pins.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
jeff_ellis_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grover, NC
Posts: 418
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

thats most of the fun in this hobby is tearing it down and re-building! You cant just go buy a new roller every time things wear out. Then you will be buying a new buggy every few races. Like said above, check/replace all bearings, look at your clutch shoes, change shock oil, change diff oil, check drive cups (which they should be good)

enjoy!
__________________
Team Losi Buggy
GO Tech 5 port RB Mods
AKA
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
segui305's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: miami, fl
Posts: 166
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to segui305
Default

i just recently change all my diff oil and shock oil as well. i also did replace all the bearing in the diffs.my problem is not knowing what to look for when i dissemble my buggy. i kinda need a check list i guess to figure what to check and what am i looking for that has a lot of wear.
__________________
Team Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy- Proline- j concept- Futaba 3pks Spektrum module- hi-tec servos- jr9811-Dynamite Mach .21-OS VZB V-SPEC .21-Team Str8 killaz
segui305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

What all is worn out? R/P front and rear will run you $70 and prob $15-20 in bearings. I am sure there could be up to another $50 here and there depending on how new you want it. So ya a $150 rebuild is cheaper than buying new.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
jwm2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Not to mention the satifaction you get from finishing up or doing it the right way.
jwm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by segui305 View Post
i just recently change all my diff oil and shock oil as well. i also did replace all the bearing in the diffs.my problem is not knowing what to look for when i dissemble my buggy. i kinda need a check list i guess to figure what to check and what am i looking for that has a lot of wear.
Things to pay attention to:

-stripped threads/worn screws/rusted screws
-stripped threads in plastic parts
-cracked, sloppy-fitting or severely worn plastic parts
-gear mesh/condition of gears
-hinges should be free-moving, little slop and not bent
-shock shafts/replace shock O rings & oil
-bearings should be free and not notchy or scratchy when turned
-replace main chassis if bent/severely worn/cracked
-rebuild CVDs; replace worn pins and if necessary, worn drive cups
-check/replace worn shock springs (they lose tension over time)
-inspect clutch, de-burr shoes, keep inside of bell free of aluminum buildup
-inspect pipe for obstructions/oil buildup; hammer out dents as needed
-make sure pipe/header springs have sufficient tension; replace as needed
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
mudboger07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
Things to pay attention to:

-stripped threads/worn screws/rusted screws
-stripped threads in plastic parts
-cracked, sloppy-fitting or severely worn plastic parts
-gear mesh/condition of gears
-hinges should be free-moving, little slop and not bent
-shock shafts/replace shock O rings & oil
-bearings should be free and not notchy or scratchy when turned
-replace main chassis if bent/severely worn/cracked
-rebuild CVDs; replace worn pins and if necessary, worn drive cups
-check/replace worn shock springs (they lose tension over time)
-inspect clutch, de-burr shoes, keep inside of bell free of aluminum buildup
-inspect pipe for obstructions/oil buildup; hammer out dents as needed
-make sure pipe/header springs have sufficient tension; replace as needed

Good list....
__________________
Proud Sponsor of a 10 year old.....
losi 8ightB 2.0/DX3S/VSpec* Revo-3.3*mod slash*blade-mcx*axial GC2
Team Nitro** F-14*Team Terribles/Answer-RC

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Tech Rookie
 
SmilinE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Default Goes without saying

I rebuilt my Losi and it has helped me out so much knowing what could go wrong down the line. Not sure if you have done it before. You also have better parts and options.
SmilinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
offroad racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Appleton Wisconsin
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by segui305 View Post
i want to rebuild my losi 8ight 2.0 race roller, what parts should i get to rebuild it and do you think its just worth to buy a new roller? what would be cheaper??
Why would you buy a whole new race roller?
__________________
Losi 8ight-T 2.0
Losi 8ight 2.0
TLR 22
Ofna Nitro DM1
offroad racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Tech Adept
 
RC_Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 133
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RC_Jeff
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9 View Post
thats most of the fun in this hobby is tearing it down and re-building! You cant just go buy a new roller every time things wear out. Then you will be buying a new buggy every few races. Like said above, check/replace all bearings, look at your clutch shoes, change shock oil, change diff oil, check drive cups (which they should be good)

enjoy!
+1 Raced for max 3 hours on Thursday night, rebuilt EVERYTHING in the last two days for a big race tomorrow. Probably took me 10 hours total. Found a bunch of worn out stuff. Best thing you can do.
RC_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
hambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomsburg, Pa.
Posts: 2,436
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Things should be checked out and replaced as needed on a weekly basis. Never should need a complete rebuild.
__________________
Rob Hamm
The Nitro Shop
Bones Motorsports
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
mudboger07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post
Things should be checked out and replaced as needed on a weekly basis. Never should need a complete rebuild.
+1 after a race weekend i spend about 2 days tearing down, cleaning and replacing whats worn. it's never more than jjust a bearing or something small, if you wait to long the rebuild will be alot more.
__________________
Proud Sponsor of a 10 year old.....
losi 8ightB 2.0/DX3S/VSpec* Revo-3.3*mod slash*blade-mcx*axial GC2
Team Nitro** F-14*Team Terribles/Answer-RC

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #14
Tech Adept
 
99problems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MIA
Posts: 127
Default

Keep an eye on your axles!! You can always tell if they are bad, if your car pushes like no other.
__________________
Don't be a "CYBER BULLY" bring it to the TRACK!!
POINT and PULL!!
99problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
Good list....
question.....................you say hammer out dents? how do you do that without makeing more dents? just wondering, i have a 086 witha small dent and want to know how to fix it, thanks
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8IGHT 2.0! BAUSTIN Nitro Off-Road 14679 09-12-2015 07:58 AM
Losi 8ight 2.0 (9100s, Fasst, VZ-B, etc) Jim Bob R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 04-19-2010 11:00 AM
Losi 8ight race roller everyjuangohome R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 05-08-2009 09:27 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net