Wiki Posts
Search

Os Speed quick question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Os Speed quick question

whats stock shimming on speed? and secondly if preffered what would you run, magnesium or aluminum head in 80* heat? thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Stock shimming is one copper .1mm and one silver .2mm for a total of .3mm.

Aluminum head ALWAYS unless you're trying to keep heat in. The Mag heads don't cool as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

thanks Jammin, now sorry but i forgot, which is the aluminum the circle one or the black and red cut one? sorry there both sitting here just curious
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by blackbeardrollo
thanks Jammin, now sorry but i forgot, which is the aluminum the circle one or the black and red cut one? sorry there both sitting here just curious
The circular one is the AL, the red and black one is the mag.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

much appreciated! and is the aluminum really a better cooler? i have them both in hand and the mag feels much lighter. the person i bought this from said run the mag in hot, aluminum in winter as it holds heat. but i respect your posts on here so any advice is well recieved
Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by blackbeardrollo
much appreciated! and is the aluminum really a better cooler? i have them both in hand and the mag feels much lighter. the person i bought this from said run the mag in hot, aluminum in winter as it holds heat. but i respect your posts on here so any advice is well recieved
I've never run the mag head, but the reason they switched back to aluminum was because it cools better. No body really uses mag heads anymore. They are lighter, but not as good for cooling.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The mag head was a failure, thats why they discontinued it. It wont hold enough heat in the winter and gives you a false sense of security in the summer. Stick with aluminum.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sickboy
The mag head was a failure, thats why they discontinued it. It wont hold enough heat in the winter and gives you a false sense of security in the summer. Stick with aluminum.
So it cools too well? Maybe that was it. I have it backwards. Anyway, Mag heads don't work well. Stick with aluminum.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

yep, made it hard to tune correctly. i have some new left over os speed mag heads if anybody wants to trade for new aluminum speed heads
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
So it cools too well? Maybe that was it. I have it backwards. Anyway, Mag heads don't work well. Stick with aluminum.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sickboy
yep, made it hard to tune correctly. i have some new left over os speed mag heads if anybody wants to trade for new aluminum speed heads
Ah I see.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 AM
AE

The Mag head did not diddipate heat as well. Magnesium, being less dense than aluminum was a great tuning tool as it lowered the weight of the motor at the highest point (the head). Unfortunately, magnesium's lower density was its downfall. Materials that are less dense DO NOT conduct heat as well. If you temp'd the Mag head motor, it may read 245*F, but temp it at the case and you would get 310*F. The mag head just didn't dissapate the heat. Most people abandoned the Mag head in favor of the Aluminum version. If you temp the aluminum head, you would get 245*F, and about 260*F at the case. Much better
Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Magnesium actually cools so well you can’t keeps heat in the motor, only to be used in extreme OAT’s. Besides it doesnt have the strength of the Aluminum head.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

And you dont temp the Head, you Temp the button that why the temp guns are made to fit right above the glow plug. All the cooling head is there for is to help dissipate the heat from the engine.