R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

im thinkin werks there are 4 at my local track all b5's in a mugen, d8,d8t, losi 1.0 and they all seem to have tons of power for the price but i dont want to buy the 80 dollar werks pipe so whats a good pipe for a good price i dont know much about the pipes to an engine lol all i know is v-spec likes jp and grp likes grp

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
These are only my opinions on what I've seen

Odonnel SS = good power, cheap but has terminal bearing issues. None here have made it past a gallon before the bearing starts dusting the sleeve with tiny scratches. I heard Steve is working on replacing the stock 14 ball bearing with a ceramic. Everyone I've talked to swaps out the bearing after breakin with a Boca 9 ball

Jammin = runs ok, not quite the power of the others.

Dynamite = count on a gallon if your really racing it competitively. none of them have lasted more than that around here if theyre keeping up with ninjas, speeds etc..

RB = Tried many of them myself and cant seem to get any low end unless I run 1.1 springs.... terrific engines, but arent suited well for our type of tracks

Alpha = Seem quite a few pop rods at different levels of use... 1gal and up

Werks = My second choice of engine for that price range, good power, improved carb and no bearing issues. Love the Werks stuff, should last you for a long time

IMO no engine is going to make it longer than 2-3 gallons if its raced competitively without some sort of maintenence... rod, bearing, etc. I know everyone will post their 25 gallon v-spec stories... but the reality is the engine will start to loose its thump with either a leaking sleeve or timing changes due to the rod loosening up. Once the tune signifigantly changes from a long time reliable base tune, the engine is communicating with you.
I'd say most of that is pretty accurate, except for the Jammin. The JPX is one of the most powerful .21's out of the box. They're not great on fuel, but they have gobs of power and last a long time. Probably too much bottom end for most tracks/drivers in a buggy.

Honestly from what I've seen you can't beat the Werks B6 for a buggy in that price range. B5 is too much for a buggy, and maybe even for a truggy depending on your driving style. I'd imagine a B6 would push a truggy around pretty darn well too if you prefer a smoother engine.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
Ok im looking for a bang for your buck engine thats good for club racing and like jbrl! Im wanting to try in the 220 range so please no v-specs and speeds etc i want to try a cheaper engine to see how it feels to o.s. so my choices are so far a Werks b5, alpha gold or green head(bad part is where can i buy one), the siro evo(not sure what one it is but its 150), dynamite platinum, and what ever else you guys know of thats around the 220 range!!! postlinks aswell and please tell me why you guys like that engine so much!!!! Also whats your prefered pipe to run on the engine!

Thanks
try go-engines new gx series... you think you've seen rapd apes? try a gx7r.i bet you 50 bucks anything under 275$ will not beat it at top end, with a heavy clutch. its as they say"it goes like a asian drives"
808gx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidkool View Post
Truggy-B5

Buggy-B6

They run like a raped date!! and last like 10 gal(so I hear) also great customer service!
Idk about that 10 gallons I hear they start dropping performance after 5. So I guess it depends on what you want to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBX5TR View Post
Go to this link

http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/home.php?cat=78

Novarossi

P3XS $189

P5XLT $219

The P5XLT is fast reliable and gives a good run time i think it is the best bang for the buck there is
+1 on the p5. I tested a modded p5 in a heavy ofna truggy and it had tons of bottom. Great little engine for the $$. Idk much about alpha guys love them or hate them. I'll stick with os or nova.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
These are only my opinions on what I've seen

IMO no engine is going to make it longer than 2-3 gallons if its raced competitively without some sort of maintenence... rod, bearing, etc. I know everyone will post their 25 gallon v-spec stories... but the reality is the engine will start to loose its thump with either a leaking sleeve or timing changes due to the rod loosening up. Once the tune signifigantly changes from a long time reliable base tune, the engine is communicating with you.
Man! Something is up with your track or there is an altitude or fuel problem. Pushing 'em too hard maybe. Dusty track conditions??? Upside down reving??

Even when I screw up I get more than 3g's.

Stick to RB, NR, OS. Change the OS rod and bearings alot. But a well tuned RB WS9 or NR FMS should have a ton of bottom. with 1.0 springs.

Thats interesting. I don't see too many with luck as bad as yours. But I will say: Alot of the new fly by night ching chong motor companies sell motors that grenade quickly. I stick to NR, OS, and Saito for nitro engines. Against the engine pro's advice, I use OS p3 and p5 plugs in all of them.

Hopefully RR's new engine co. turns out a durable product like the old RB.

Deosn't matter though, 4 strokes are coming, eventually........
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Traxxas 3.3 all the way man!!!!

Seriously though, MotoGod's Alphas do indeed run well.

I know folks will say that I'm biased because of my sig, but the SS.21 really is a good engine in that price range. I'm just over two gallons on mine, with no bearing issues. Just for the record, I had that motor in my truggy before I got picked up by the team.

My other motor is a Speed that I bought off of a guy on here. The SS.21 is every bit as good.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Man! Something is up with your track or there is an altitude or fuel problem. Pushing 'em too hard maybe. Dusty track conditions??? Upside down reving??

Even when I screw up I get more than 3g's.

Stick to RB, NR, OS. Change the OS rod and bearings alot. But a well tuned RB WS9 or NR FMS should have a ton of bottom. with 1.0 springs.

Thats interesting. I don't see too many with luck as bad as yours. But I will say: Alot of the new fly by night ching chong motor companies sell motors that grenade quickly. I stick to NR, OS, and Saito for nitro engines. Against the engine pro's advice, I use OS p3 and p5 plugs in all of them.

Hopefully RR's new engine co. turns out a durable product like the old RB.

Deosn't matter though, 4 strokes are coming, eventually........
Again...............I'm not saying the engine wont run after that point because we all know better than that.... all I'm saying is that the peak of its power/efficiency has past. Its not bad luck, its reality. I have several engines with 8-9 gallons on them, do they run? sure all day long. Are they as responsive and powerful as they were at the 2gal mark? not even close.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

My B5s run great i got 7 gal on the first one and i am on 3-4 on my second and it runs awsome i haven had a flamed out and it just keep getting better. you cant beat the werks line of motors and with the support Ron gives no ones can come close IMO.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

I always forget the SS .21! Stubbs' SS .21 has impressed me for sure. Especially since he is running it over his OS SPeed for the moment...and that Speed we thought we'd have to rip it from his Truggy when it finally needed a P/S. I thought for sure he'd never give it up ;-)

I have never run one personally....but his is pretty speedy.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Man, these threads pop up all the time. The ODO .21, B5, and Alpha's are all good engines for around 2 bills. Keep in mind, you usually you need a specific pipe for them to work to the fullest potential, which will set you back about $50-$70. The Nova N21R is also a decent motor for even less money, paired w/ and 086, it would work just fine. Everyone of them have proven themselves, so pick one and enjoy. Just my .02.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Traxxas 3.3 all the way man!!!!

Seriously though, MotoGod's Alphas do indeed run well.

I know folks will say that I'm biased because of my sig, but the SS.21 really is a good engine in that price range. I'm just over two gallons on mine, with no bearing issues. Just for the record, I had that motor in my truggy before I got picked up by the team.

My other motor is a Speed that I bought off of a guy on here. The SS.21 is every bit as good.
Something's wrong with the speed you got then.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #42
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Hmm.. i keep up with every other Speed at my track... including quite a few Pro guys... But i guess that means their motors are messed up too
Old 07-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm loving my Nitrotec R21

I have experienced what your saying Tony Newland. Many people don't understand that though if there engine continues to run.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #44
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post

Compared to what I am used to a Speed seems pretty tame to me ! some people just love the Speed, to others its just an expensive V-Spec with lower timing...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Nitroxray If you go with the B5 shoot me a PM I'll give you a great deal on a Werks "2010" 2057 pipe. That pipe really help to make the B5 tolerable in the buggy.
underway is offline   Reply With Quote