R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to segui305

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXray80809 View Post
Ok im looking for a bang for your buck engine thats good for club racing and like jbrl! Im wanting to try in the 220 range so please no v-specs and speeds etc i want to try a cheaper engine to see how it feels to o.s. so my choices are so far a Werks b5, alpha gold or green head(bad part is where can i buy one), the siro evo(not sure what one it is but its 150), dynamite platinum, and what ever else you guys know of thats around the 220 range!!! postlinks aswell and please tell me why you guys like that engine so much!!!! Also whats your prefered pipe to run on the engine!

Thanks
the bang for the buck is a dynamite mach 2 .21. I have about 5 gallons about hitting my 6th and I'm really happy with this motor. it hold tune and it could idle all day long. I'm getting ready to change the back bearing to ceramic just in case, most of the time the back bearing is always the the first to give out. i used a dynamite 053mr pipe. love this motor
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

tq engine is rebadged carb fixed grp they are good have seen few of them run very well with good mileage
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

segui, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting with that motor?
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

stick with italian or os mills.
check out the new picco motor. $279 motor/pipe combo at nitrohouse.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to segui305

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9 View Post
segui, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting with that motor?
9 minute usually!!! on my next motor im planning to convert it into a turbo plug. if your a club racer there is no need to drop 250 300 dollars on a motor. honeslty i already got 6 GALLOND out of my $120 dollars motor and i got my money worth plus more.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Several choices

Alpha red
Werks b5
Nova p5 9853ss
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

thanks for all the post so far im leanin for b6, alpha, tq, or dynamite now maybe a nova aswell lol keep them coming i would like to see what people like im lookin got a engine that if taken care of really well such as run fuel out, proper break in and put at bdc i want atleast 6 to 7 gallons atleast! I dont have alot of money being 16 trying to survive in nitro racing is hard haha

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what do you guys think between a:

Alpha green head and a Jammin JPX.21??

Also, what is good Alpha motors in the $230- range?
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

These are only my opinions on what I've seen

Odonnel SS = good power, cheap but has terminal bearing issues. None here have made it past a gallon before the bearing starts dusting the sleeve with tiny scratches. I heard Steve is working on replacing the stock 14 ball bearing with a ceramic. Everyone I've talked to swaps out the bearing after breakin with a Boca 9 ball

Jammin = runs ok, not quite the power of the others.

Dynamite = count on a gallon if your really racing it competitively. none of them have lasted more than that around here if theyre keeping up with ninjas, speeds etc..

RB = Tried many of them myself and cant seem to get any low end unless I run 1.1 springs.... terrific engines, but arent suited well for our type of tracks

Alpha = Seem quite a few pop rods at different levels of use... 1gal and up

Werks = My second choice of engine for that price range, good power, improved carb and no bearing issues. Love the Werks stuff, should last you for a long time

IMO no engine is going to make it longer than 2-3 gallons if its raced competitively without some sort of maintenence... rod, bearing, etc. I know everyone will post their 25 gallon v-spec stories... but the reality is the engine will start to loose its thump with either a leaking sleeve or timing changes due to the rod loosening up. Once the tune signifigantly changes from a long time reliable base tune, the engine is communicating with you.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #25
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post

Are you sure you mean the Jammin JPX ? as its likely one of the most powerful .21's on the market, if anything its overpowered for most tracks ...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Again, I'm going off my experience of what I've seen..... sorry I'm refering to the originals, no JPX's around here
Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post

Odonnel SS = good power, cheap but has terminal bearing issues. None here have made it past a gallon before the bearing starts dusting the sleeve with tiny scratches. I heard Steve is working on replacing the stock 14 ball bearing with a ceramic. Everyone I've talked to swaps out the bearing after breakin with a Boca 9 ball

Dynamite = count on a gallon if your really racing it competitively. none of them have lasted more than that around here if theyre keeping up with ninjas, speeds etc..

RB = Tried many of them myself and cant seem to get any low end unless I run 1.1 springs.... terrific engines, but arent suited well for our type of tracks

Alpha = Seem quite a few pop rods at different levels of use... 1gal and up

Werks = My second choice of engine for that price range, good power, improved carb and no bearing issues. Love the Werks stuff, should last you for a long time

IMO no engine is going to make it longer than 2-3 gallons if its raced competitively without some sort of maintenence... rod, bearing, etc. I know everyone will post their 25 gallon v-spec stories... but the reality is the engine will start to loose its thump with either a leaking sleeve or timing changes due to the rod loosening up. Once the tune signifigantly changes from a long time reliable base tune, the engine is communicating with you.
Ryan Lutz is on gallon 7+ of both of his Alpha Plus Race engines...and he said he has done nothing to them except run them as hard as he can. Not saying we will all get that type of runtime....but that's pretty darn impressive to me...especially for a $200 engine.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #28
Tech Champion

This type of thread you'll get all kinds of feedback.... not starting fires, questioning or hatin on anyone.... but pros are salesmen, thats what they get paid for.

I know when drake was running sirio engine under trinity I watched his engine temp over 300 every run. Sure theyre fast and look impressive and lots of people go out and buy them. But at 300+ there's no bearing thats going to last. I look at that as not a good engine for a club guy. It it has to be run at 300 to make power and be on the same pace as others that temp at 220. Normal people wont be happy with at 220. It doesnt matter to them how hot it runs, got a box full of them. But a good, reliable, well engineered engine will serve the average guy (like me) for a long time. I look at what pro's run with limited interest, they can make anything work and thats why their rock stars and we're not
Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Picco based mills are never short on power. They may not get 10 minutes on a tank, but will never be at a disadvantage in the power department. Too much for some people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Are you sure you mean the Jammin JPX ? as its likely one of the most powerful .21's on the market, if anything its overpowered for most tracks ...
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

So very true Tony. What the pros run....should be taken with a grain of salt. After running an Alpha myself all season.....I can see why Ryan likes them though ;-) $200 engine....mine runs at 255-260 all day long and makes more power than I even need at a club level.

...but by that token...any engine will do just fine at a club level really. You don't need an OS Speed to have fun as a weekend warrior ;-)

...and for the record this is @ thread what 1000 or so on "What's the best engine for......" Just check the previous threads as well for more input.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote