R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ttruggy's

I have noticed a huge decline in the truggy class this past year, being it RC-Pro, Glorcs or Club races. the past years was almost even between Buggy and Truggy, now there is 5 to 6 buggy mains to 1 or 2 truggy...is the same happening in your area?

Southern Ontario/Canada
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

well i dont know about big races, but club races and money races at my track in pa seems bigger than buggys.

i think the main reason is because the track that i race on, is rutty and rough so truggys are much better.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Usually twice as many buggies in an area compared to truggy. The smaller cars fit on tracks better and appeal to 1/10th toy drivers more when they decide to upgrade to 1/8th scale.

It's rare to see an equal amount of truggys. Depends how big the track is I guess.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Truggies are still going strong here. However there has always been more buggies than truggies. I would say any decline in truggy racing is because of the economy. Truggies cost more to own/maintain. Tires cost more, parts cost more, parts wear faster, etc... Truggies aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

well one another reason is if its, a offroad track thats smooth more buggy wil proberty show up if its a 1/10 track, than buggy will show up more than truggys.

but yea it does depend on where, you race at and what kind of track suface it is. but i have to say i like driving truggys better than buggys uspally on a rough rutty track.

i mean yea truggys do wear parts... out faster but really the most expensive thing is the tires and they last longer compared to buggys.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Same here in Houston, truggies are going strong and rapidly growing. Most racers here start with a buggy and then pickup a truggy to run two classes. The biggest thing I've noticed is that the truggies are being converted to brushless (what a shame).
Old 07-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkustoms View Post
Same here in Houston, truggies are going strong and rapidly growing. Most racers here start with a buggy and then pickup a truggy to run two classes. The biggest thing I've noticed is that the truggies are being converted to brushless (what a shame).

brushless truggys
Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not ready for e-power, e-power is for GIRLS.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
Not ready for e-power, e-power is for GIRLS.

lol good one man.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I run both E and nitro truggy and my E truggy has turned the fastest lap to date at our local track. I am pretty sure that someone who says E truggy is for girls has either got their a#%$ kicked by one or is afraid to race one

As for the truggy class growing this year in our area I think that it staying steady but not really growing.
MBX7R. RC8B3
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I run both E and nitro truggy and my E truggy has turned the fastest lap to date at our local track. I am pretty sure that someone who says E truggy is for girls has either got their a#%$ kicked by one or is afraid to race one

As for the truggy class growing this year in our area I think that it staying steady but not really growing.

well i guess your good at driving 1/8 electric than , most people i see drive them crash all over the place and the nitro ones seem to win.

the only electric i drive is a slash nice and simple.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I started with E truggy last year and have done great with it. I just started driving nitro truggy and it is taking alittle getting used to as I am not one for using alot of brake. I do agree with you though that alot of E truggy drivers are over powered and out of control. Setup is key to E buggy and truggy and it takes alot of trial and error.
MBX7R. RC8B3
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say half as many truggies than buggies at club races but the turn out for truggies is better , but still not as good buggies at state races . I have switched to buggy although i like truggy a little better . Buggy is a little cheaper to maintain & with this crappy economy i'm watching my pennies .
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Intresting topic

Locally I'd say on a good day both buggy and truggy are pretty even for nitro. Elec. has a few more buggies than truggies, again on a good day. Factor in both nitro and elec. and I think the buggies come out ahead. Most of the nitro racers run both buggy and truggy usually, though there are some that will run only one (either buggy or truggy and they usually cancel each other out). The elec. racers seem to lean one way or the other as far as running one or both. We do have a few new racers that prefer to run both elec. buggy and truggy which I think is good if you can afford to do so. Same with nitro. I downsized to one class this year and chose truggy over the buggy. My only reason was that I didn't have a lot of time with the buggy I had and felt the the truggy was a better fit for me. I do have to agree though that running a truggy does cost a little bit more to run and maintain, that is usually a tire cost thing. I do see more racers looking for ways to cut costs for racing and running one class (wich ever one is chosen) does help in that area.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkustoms View Post
what track do you race at in houston?
oghobavo is offline   Reply With Quote