R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #31
Tech Elite

For little club races there is no point in splitting up E and N. For big races where there is trophys etc. They need split up.

The E buggies have more power but they also have more weight.
The N cars need to stop for fuel, but the E cars need to conserve battery power.

The N guys may start running powerful 7 port motors again if they want more power. Wimpy fuel economy engines and carb restrictors can go away.

If your track allows E in N races, then you can run a .28xz in your buggy and still be legal. Open powerplant rules mean open. I don't hear too many nitro guys complaining about lack of power. They're often running restrictors even when combined with E cars.

It's fair enough. The Nitro guys are still winning most of the races out my way. I didn't really see abig difference between my 809 when it was nitro and my E809 now. I think a RB WS7III will out pull my Tekin 1900 on 4s at slippery tracks.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #32
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
For little club races there is no point in splitting up E and N. For big races where there is trophys etc. They need split up.

The E buggies have more power but they also have more weight.
The N cars need to stop for fuel, but the E cars need to conserve battery power.

The N guys may start running powerful 7 port motors again if they want more power. Wimpy fuel economy engines and carb restrictors can go away.

If your track allows E in N races, then you can run a .28xz in your buggy and still be legal. Open powerplant rules mean open. I don't hear too many nitro guys complaining about lack of power. They're often running restrictors even when combined with E cars.

It's fair enough. The Nitro guys are still winning most of the races out my way. I didn't really see abig difference between my 809 when it was nitro and my E809 now. I think a RB WS7III will out pull my Tekin 1900 on 4s at slippery tracks.

na my rb s5 can get about, 10 minutes with a carb restrictors i mean you dont really need more than that for club racing.

i have just enough power so, i dont know why some other nitro guys whould be bitching, they have more powerfull engines than me.

i dont know about a 7 port lol.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

7 ports more powerful? Thats a funny one. When comparing nitro to electric, the main power advantage the E cars have is there instantaneous acceleration. I don't think the soft bottom end of a 7 port is what you want if you're trying to keep up with the brushless buggies. But thats a different thread.

I just don't think they should run together... EVER! We run 15 minute mains for club races here, and most battery cars can't go that long without a battery change. So running together the E guys would bitch and we would end up with shortened mains because of it... NOT cool(15 minutes is short as is). There really aren't many E cars around here anyway, and pretty much everyone that runs them also runs nitro. We really only get a turnout of the electrics for big races. Other than that, our turnout for 1/8 scale is Nitro buggies and Truggies. During the winter we get the occasional turnout for E-buggy. I can't say I'm sad they're sparse during the summer.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

when one of our local clubs started up it was decided that nitro buggy could run up a .28 and nitro truggy could run up to a .32 as at the time those two motor sizes were pretty much the norm for the RTR folks. I think it is still close to that depending on the RTR.

There was some disagreement as to allow such sized motors in the buggy and truggy class. Some claimed an unfair advantage for anyone running the bigger motors against others running "legal" motors. .21 for buggy and .28 for truggy, though most run the .21's in truggy too. Long story short after much discussion, the club and racers came to the understanding that whatever advantage there was with running a bigger motor, most of the racers running those bigger motors didn't have the control to be able to use it.

Fast forward to the recent elec. craze. Oddly enough many of the same complaints again became topic for discussion. Which sounded alot like the earlier discussions had about the above nitro motors. Again racers were putting in the biggest, fastest elec. motors they could and were having alot of trouble using all that power and still control it. After alot of trial and error by a number of elec. racers it was found that all that motor was of little use on the two small tracks we have in our area. Still racers would keep the big motor and turn down the ESC to a point where they could keep things under control. What many of the nitro racers saw was that the elec. racers didn't need the run up for jumps like the nitro racers needed. Makes sence as the types of power plants are more along the lines of apples to oranges and not apples to apples.

Now there is usually enough elec. buggies and truggies to have their own class. I think that is the right way to go if there is enough for a seperate class. To me, it keeps things a little more even and got rid of alot of complaints about who had the advantage over who.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #35
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

nitro rc cars are cool
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that just about every top "Pro" that runs Nitro now came from an elec. background. It would stand to reason that they should be faster with an elec. set up than their nitro counterpart. That has been the case from what I have seen so far at bigger events where the top "Pro's" run both elec. and nitro classes. Then again the elec. 1/8th classes are still forming and maybe there are some Nitro "Pro's" that are not as fast with an elec.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
nitro rc cars are cool
Typical Houston comment.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #38
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that just about every top "Pro" that runs Nitro now came from an elec. background. It would stand to reason that they should be faster with an elec. set up than their nitro counterpart. That has been the case from what I have seen so far at bigger events where the top "Pro's" run both elec. and nitro classes. Then again the elec. 1/8th classes are still forming and maybe there are some Nitro "Pro's" that are not as fast with an elec.

well i dont about if a pro guy , that used to race electric should be faster with electric than nitro.

but i used to race nothing, but electric offroad and i seem to do better driving nitro .
Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
well i dont about if a pro guy , that used to race electric should be faster with electric than nitro.

but i used to race nothing, but electric offroad and i seem to do better driving nitro .
Better at running nitro 1/8 scale versus electric 1/10 scale? That's an easy one. 1/8 scales are MUCH easier to drive than a 2wd 1/10 scale car.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #40
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Better at running nitro 1/8 scale versus electric 1/10 scale? That's an easy one. 1/8 scales are MUCH easier to drive than a 2wd 1/10 scale car.

1/10 2wd i started, out with and i was running a 12t double.

oh i know 1/8 electric, is faster and easier to drive than a mod truck which to me a 1/8 electric whould be too fast torque wise for me really is what i dont care for .

i would say im better, at driving a 2wd but im not that bad driving a 1/8 scale.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #41
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In this part of the woods truggy is slowing down, but buggy is picking up fast
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

it seems to be about normal around me
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #43
Tech Elite

How did truggy vs buggy end up Nitro vs Electric again? lol.

i think in Europe Truggy is bigger with the average crowd but the pro scene is more Buggy oriented.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

You know the sad thing is that in our area the 1/8th scale class in general is not growing. It grew alot last year but because of the economy I have not seen hardly any growth this year. My local hobby shop says he is not seeing any new guys this year and the only thing he is really selling is the short course trucks. He said the big wharehouses are reporting a decline of up to 75% in 1/8th scale sales. I know a few guys as well that have given up 1/8th scale to go back to 1/10th scale because of it being cheaper. The only class that has experienced steady growth in our area is SC trucks.
MBX7R. RC8B3
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #45
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have both and while the e cars are tech faster I personally am not faster with them. I do like them though because they offer a different aspect and they are a huge challenge. But you can sit an e car at the base of any jump and nail it and it flies where a nitro car needs more time to build up speed. I got bored and built them and you dinger more drive time on the stand which is always fun but the bottom line is they only run up to 10 min mains most are 7 around here and they don't quite bring the satisfaction that the nitro cars do.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote