Wiki Posts
Search

Exhaust Gas Coolers? Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savagesam
I run the gas cooler and the tape on the fuel tank and have found that with the two in place i get 45 seconds a tank more run time in a truggy and the fuel is 9 degrees cooler at the carby, so read into it what you will i have swapped the tank and return line three times for the same results, 41 seconds, 43 seconds, 45 seconds and 8, 9 , 9 degrees cooler fuel which adding these all up in the end you get a fraction more run time, or need less fuel at each stop and the engine runs that little bit cooler due to colder fuel which means you could even lean the engine a little more and maybe grab 1 minute extra run time ifyour looking for the fine line......

Leaks are about the only issue you can run into but then again the standard set up can fail all the same....sometimes stuff just happens
sammy hello matey long time no see hows life i guess the wifey has calmed down ur alive still lol!!!!!!! tell her i miss her kind threats lol
so what have u wrapped the tank wit heat tape or just the side were the pipe is got any pics matey all the bast to u guys hope to see u at the S,A states mate
Old 07-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JoeC
I am looking at getting a gas cooler for my B6 in my MBX6 buggy and wanted to know if they work or not and if so which one do you recommend. Thanks.
get gene hickerson's one if he is still making it - machined from single piece so no threaded ends which can leak and it's the best size with 22 cooling fins (early RB and others too small) and a recessed part in the middle to secure with a cable tie . Mount it on your six on the splashguard above fuel filter. Good idea to use the foil tape between tank and pipe as well as mentioned in previous posts.

Exhaust Gas Coolers? Good or Bad-cooler_mounted.jpg
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

How do I get in touch with him? As a side note am I missing something by running the B5 and B6 over the OS VSpec? I am new to nitro and read alot of good things about werks motors so that is what I went with. I do have a 2 gallon old Vspec and a new in the box Limited edition gold head Vspec.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

"savagesam" have you run the same length of pressure line when you removed the gas cooler or a shorter one?

In general liquids need a long time to change their temperature and lots of energy.
7-10 minutes IMO is not enough time to heat it up to that extend where it will make a difference from the gas pressure. Not to mention the ability of any "cooler" to cool down the gas when it's constantly flowing into the tank as it goes down. Also a single tube with fines isn't that efficient to cool anything...you would want something to allow more contact area with the air going through.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

How do I get in touch with him? As a side note am I missing something by running the B5 and B6 over the OS VSpec? I am new to nitro and read alot of good things about werks motors so that is what I went with. I do have a 2 gallon old Vspec and a new in the box Limited edition gold head Vspec.

um no wat i meant is how are the werks b5 in ur truggy i have heard great things about them all i was doing was reading ur signature and asking how it was
Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

For a $200 engine it's great. I like the B6 better in buggy because of the smoothness but for the cost of the engines you can not go wrong. I am also new to nitro so ruining a $200 will not hurt as bad either.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

For a $200 engine it's great. I like the B6 better in buggy because of the smoothness but for the cost of the engines you can not go wrong. I am also new to nitro so ruining a $200 will not hurt as bad either.
spot on there matey i know a friend that has got the clockworks b6 in his buggy it screams and also know another person thats brought one for there truggy a b5 and it has oodles of power booth clockworks mods so id say all the best good luck u have made a good choice
Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

I forgot to mention that the other reason for going with the Werks motors is that Ron's service is next to none. What other engine producer do you see always answering everyone's questions on the forum? Ron is always there if you need him and for a new nitro guy like me that's very important.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

I forgot to mention that the other reason for going with the Werks motors is that Ron's service is next to none. What other engine producer do you see always answering everyone's questions on the forum? Ron is always there if you need him and for a new nitro guy like me that's very important.
spot on pretty stand up guy and backs it as well same with Neal (maximo) clockworks
Old 07-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vti-chris
Also a single tube with fines isn't that efficient to cool anything...you would want something to allow more contact area with the air going through.
was thinking along the same lines as you, then I purchased one just to see what the hype was like. Not sure whether my runtimes have increased (most of us don't run consistently enough, honestly, and crash at least once during a qualifier...) BUT there sure are a lot less fumes in the tank when it's time to refill... which means there's less vaporized fuel in there... which means more liquid fuel... which means there's more that can go in the combustion chamber... Now don't ask how many milliliters ok?

Plus it looks cool and people ask about it

Paul
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Yeah you have to tune them, but they don't change during a race... Without a gas cooler. It would take a lot to make the tune on an OS change during a race.

If the gas coolers help with tune consistency, that is another reason to use one, but still not enough for me. If I wasn't running OS engines that might not be the case. I'm a big fan of the "keep it simple stupid" philosophy. One of my biggest pet peevs is fuel system issues and air leaks. They're such a pain to deal with. They are hard to find, and can completely ruin a race weekend. I just like to keep it as simple as possible with the fuel system. Same reason I will NEVER run an inline fuel filter again. That's just me.
this weekends race had qualifying in the day and mains at night and there was a 10-15 degree difference in the temp and i did not change the tune once all day or night and my engine temp stayed with-in 5 degrees after each finish. for me its not worth buying a 500 dollar engine just not to tune an hour here or there before the quals or mains (now i even have that fixed ) so ill stick with my 200 dollar engine that will keep up with an SPEED any day of the week .
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

How do I get in touch with him?
Gene previously sold them on ebay but if not send him a PM on here and i'm sure he will get back to you - user name "Machine's R/C H"
Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
Im sure he's got it on there for a reason
Well I was pitting for him, and he told me after the race that it would never be back in his car again. Not worth it.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Werks motors are good. Not as consistent tune wise as an OS, but still very good motors.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Exhaust coolers do work, especially in cooler temps. Worth it? Thats up to you. If runtime means enough to you to offset the added weight to the car, then yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.