Wiki Posts
Search

Werks B6 or Orion Alpha?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Werks B6 or Orion Alpha?

I'm looking at a new engine for my D8 and I can't decide what to go with - the B6 or the Orion Alpha standard plug engine? I can get the Orion for about 60 bucks cheaper and I've been told it gets magnificent fuel mileage, but I've also seen the B6 in action and they rip with the 2013 pipe but don't get the best mileage without the 2057 pipe. I have an ExTech 2013 pipe and a JP-4 (2062) pipe and I'd prefer not to have to buy another pipe for this new engine. Any opinions/experience? I prefer to run a standard plug engine because I don't really notice the minute performance gain from a turbo plug and plugs are much cheaper.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
I'm looking at a new engine for my D8 and I can't decide what to go with - the B6 or the Orion Alpha standard plug engine? I can get the Orion for about 60 bucks cheaper and I've been told it gets magnificent fuel mileage, but I've also seen the B6 in action and they rip with the 2013 pipe but don't get the best mileage without the 2057 pipe. I have an ExTech 2013 pipe and a JP-4 (2062) pipe and I'd prefer not to have to buy another pipe for this new engine. Any opinions/experience? I prefer to run a standard plug engine because I don't really notice the minute performance gain from a turbo plug and plugs are much cheaper.
Hey Matt,

I haven't had a problem with any of the Werks motors. I don't know much about the Orion motors, but I do know they were having some issues with the carburetor. My B6 can go on 9 minute stops without a problem, and if I really wanted to, I could probably stretch it to 11:15 in a 45 minute main. The B6 usually will top out at 9 minute run times for the first 2 gallons or so, but once it is fully broken in, run times will range between 10-11 minutes. I am running a 2013 right now and will most likely switch to a 2057 for indoor just to smooth it out and calm down the motor a little bit. The motor rips but is always under control which is a huge plus. As for your concern with glow plugs, the Werks #5 plug is extremely durable (stronger than a P3) which makes the glow plug last even longer. To be honest, I never have any glow plug problems unless my motors are running extremely lean. If you want you can try my B6 out next weekend if you are at the track. The Extech 2013 might work, but I don't have any experience with that pipe and I don't know how a JP-4 would react.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I run the B5 and i heard the b6 gets better fuel milage i get 11 in truggy with a 2013 on a b5 so i would say u would atleast get 10 a tank with the b6 with a 2013 if not more but they are alot of factors in getting fuel milage plugs fuel and clucth setup and the biggest throttle control.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i would get the b6, it works good with the 2013 i am able to pit at 10 mins with that combination in a d8
Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So you know, the standard plug Orion 3 port doesn't have the CRF crank, it really doesnt have any of the real Orion perks with it.

I have the Orion Alpha CRF/ABi 7-Port Ceramic and it is a spectacular engine (no carb issues with mine) and would say it is great on fuel, has a ton of SMOOTH power, and has been reliable. But it is a spendy engine.

I have the O'donnell SS .21 and for $190 it has a ton of power and decent mileage. And when my Orion gets tired, I will probably replace it with a O'Donnell and a Orion R2 pipe.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Your going to be better off with a Werks engine for two reasons.

1) Its one of the best "bang for your buck" engines on the market.

2) There is no customer service like Ron @ Werks!

Also, it should go along great with your EX Tech 2013 pipe!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brad S.

1) Its one of the best "bang for your buck" engines on the market.
+1

If you are just going with one or the other, the Werks is the better choice IMO
Old 07-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

CJ - thanks for the info on your engine - your dad told me yesterday that it seemed like you were burning 3/4 of a tank through a 5 min. qualifier with the 2013 pipe and that's why I was worried about fuel mileage.

I had originally been told that the Alpha was identical to the competition edition other than the turbo button and the bearings but I had a tough time believing that since the competition engine's crankcase costs as much as the regular engine itself.

Looks like it'll be a B6 for me . . . . . . now I have to shop around for fuels - probably going to go with Werks for fuel as well but we'll see what I can get the cheapest through my sources that is good quality.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

I had originally been told that the Alpha was identical to the competition edition other than the turbo button and the bearings but I had a tough time believing that since the competition engine's crankcase costs as much as the regular engine itself.
The info from the Amain web-site:

These engines represent the finalization of Adrien Bertin's previous engine projects and fulfill the market's request for high performance engines at a competitive price. Using standard crankshaft technology and other proven components to reduce costs while at the same time maintaining high performance and reliability.

I beleive they use the same case on all the Alphas, they keep the cost down with this engine using the standard crank.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

CJ - thanks for the info on your engine - your dad told me yesterday that it seemed like you were burning 3/4 of a tank through a 5 min. qualifier with the 2013 pipe and that's why I was worried about fuel mileage.

Looks like it'll be a B6 for me . . . . . . now I have to shop around for fuels - probably going to go with Werks for fuel as well but we'll see what I can get the cheapest through my sources that is good quality.
Yeah, well I just switched to the Werks fuel and was trying to get the tune set correctly. It was running really rich through qualifying, but was great for the main. I had a pinched compression line so I pulled it off before I damaged the motor.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The B6 gets killer fuel mileage. I get over 10 minutes a tank very time with a 2013, and sometimes I run a VP-Pro RS2 pipe for a little smoother power band and it gets the same xlnt mileage. Orion engines are nice, But I would have to say the b6 takes the cake
Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
Hey Matt,

I haven't had a problem with any of the Werks motors. I don't know much about the Orion motors, but I do know they were having some issues with the carburetor.
Here's the funny part - they have the same carb. Exactly the same. That said, they're both good engines.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SteveP
Here's the funny part - they have the same carb. Exactly the same. That said, they're both good engines.
the carbs are the same on the crf and abi versions, not the basic orion that he is comparing it to
Old 07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Those pit times 11mins everyone is talking about is on a buggy or a truggy ?

I know the 2013 pipe is a gas guzzler would be possible on a 2057, but seems like everyone says that the B6 on a 2057 pipe would push more then 11 ?

That would be seriously impressive....
Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

i can pit at 10 with 2013 on b6 in buggy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.