Temp Question

Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

No i don't believe that I am. I start to tune when the bogging is gone while warming up. Then I tune, then I check the temp. Just getting frustrated now.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

mine takes up to 3 min before it is "tunable". also it sounds like you have an air leak somewhere. in the engine, fuel line or tank. replace all fuel line and check the seal on the tank.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

Got some new fuel line. We will see after it rains, hopefully it will be done soon.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think your problem is that you are tuning by temp. If you're that fussed put a colder plug in or by a aftermarket head heatsink like Odonnell.... Change the fuel lines, see if it has an erratic idle (if not it should be 9 times out of 10 not sucking air). Seriously, nobody that i know over here in the UK tunes by temp. In winter we'd blowing them up running too lean and just not even clearing jumps during the summer as it can get fairly hot (28*C ~ 90*F ish). LSN i make sure that once its up to temp that after a few mins that i clear it a couple of times at full revs, wait 5 secs then clear it again. If it bogs because of air (being lean), richen it a 8th (until it stops lean bogging then richen a 8th to a quarter). If its blowing loads of smoke i lean it a 8th (i'd do this until it would start to lean bog then richen a 8th to a quarter). Wait 10secs after full revs and it should pull nicely without and lean bog or rich bogging. Set idle then go on track to tune the HSN. No temp gun/gauge needed.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jettaturbogls
But I didn't know about the leaning it for warmer air. I thought you had to richen for warmer outside temps, and lean it for cooler temps outside.
quote - Heat exites atoms and causes them to occupy more volume in space. So there for, the hotter your air is, the thinner it is. Or vice versa, the cooler it is, denser it is.

More air (colder),leaner your engine will run
Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Never tune your engine on temps, just use it as a check point, if the engine is running like the way you want it leave it, no bogging, or power drop at long straights and good decent smoke trail is your key points of reference.

I have tuned from sirio to os to go to max to grp, if the engine runes clean and responds to how you want it then stick with the tune.

Check the go engines thread and search for a user under the name of massivemods, mark has a good reference about engine temp tunning.

Believe me if something is not normal you will feel it and or hear it.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Can I ask what clutch and what size clutch bell you are using?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

One thing I use the temp gauge for is this.
I normally tune by smoke and response and sond and all that.
When you have your tune just right you can measure the temp to get a base line. Next time you tune and get a good one you can do it again and you will soon have som kind of understanding what your engine likes temp wise.
Then you can use that when it is staring to mess with you. Next time you get an airleak you can use the temp gun and see if the temp is off.

Don't TUNE by it, use it as complement!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dayglo33
Can I ask what clutch and what size clutch bell you are using?
Every bug or trug has its gear ratio so first check the local track common gear ratio choice of the top guys and base your setup on that.

Am using base setup on the xray 16/42 sometimes 15/42 depends on the track and pipe combo i am running.

On my previous bug i the mp9 i was running the base setup also.

Do not make the mistake which I learnt the hard way of using the wrong after market clutch setup.

Stick with the stock clutch system and work on that, if your stock clutch system is really causing you issues then make sure you get a compatible clutch setup.

On all my setups i run hard springs with alu clutch if the track is slippery i would go down on the springs tension to medium, or use a smoother pipe.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

I am running a stock losi. 2 aluminum and 2 composite, and a 16 tooth bell.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Tech Master

Is 16 stock?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Tech Master

13 or so for racing. 16 would be good for top speed but if your doing runs uo and down the road, the 16 will heat up the motor. It will take alot to get the truggy up to speed. Maybe causing the clutch to slip too. That will heat things up too.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

I was using a 14 tooth, then I lost a clutch bearing. And it broke. I have a 15, but that's it for now. That is a good idea, about it slipping.