R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Run 40%; go 1-colder on the glowplug and run at least an 8mm restrictor.

Should be a good show
Old 07-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
So is it bad to do? So basically its like going from 20% to 30%?
Bad in that your run time may go down to the rich needles, IE more fuel being burned.

I guess never done it or seen it done.. I can't run the full power of 30% as it is..
Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

ya i know what you mean. i just have a clockwork motor and he recommends 30% and its hard to get 30% around here
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
ya i know what you mean. i just have a clockwork motor and he recommends 30% and its hard to get 30% around here
I wouldn't add any foriegn substance to fuel to get more power on an engine you race weekly.. Order fuel by the case if you have to. Or remove 1 .010" shim and run it on 20%.. Call Neal (Maximo), and he can give you the exact info you are looking for.. Just tel him you can't get 30%, I'm sure he can get you going in the right direction..
Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygrand48 View Post
I find it funny that someone could use more power than a good engine on 30% can provide. I'm far from good enough to use any more than my 7mm restrictor on 20% can provide, still have 2mm and 10% to go! Only way I can see using more would be dirt oval or something. Good luck!
Peek over at the boat section some day. You can pick up off the shelf fuels with 60% nitro content...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrcprod View Post
This is a cost effective way to do it and you only have to make as much as you want to and still have the ability to use your "ALREADY OWNED" fuel again in its original state if so desired.
Cost effective? Sell any unopened fuel canisters to palls who want to race legal, and buy a box of your higher nitro content instead.

Quote:
Anyway, just for the record there is NO SNAKE OIL and I repeat NO SNAKE OIL in my products.
Thats what i said. It's just nitro, and oil, pretty much. What i was suggesting is that there are no "race illegal" additives in the product, and as such perhaps not what Bear was looking for.

Quote:
I do not get into debates on this or any other forums I just speak the facts and when my products are being bashed or criticized I will always defend them.
I never intended to bash your product, i have no reason to, never having used any. I'm sure they do exactly as expected by the specified content.

Quote:
So is it bad to do? So basically its like going from 20% to 30%?
No, as said above, more oxygen doesn't mean higher nitro content. It means more fuel actually gets burnt, and as such you have to richen the mix or run to lean. More energy gets released, and the engine turns over faster. But at 1 drop per tank, this is actually snake oil. On the upside. I cant see a drop doing any harm, even with Castor fuels. And, if it does react with the nitro, it's not going to drop the nitro content with a single digit.
(However, it's the presence of organic material in the fuel that makes this a bad idea, the concept it self is valid. Some submarines use hydrogen peroxide as a oxygen source for when running submerged.)
B!
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblgjr View Post
Run 40%; go 1-colder on the glowplug and run at least an 8mm restrictor.

Should be a good show

have u tried running this formula on your engine ?

If yes what engine are u running ? and what are the results
Bear_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_ View Post
have u tried running this formula on your engine ?

If yes what engine are u running ? and what are the results
No, I haven't recently. In general though you will have to go to either (a) 1-heat range colder plug, or (b) shim up .05 to .10mm to account for the nitro increase.

I've run Byron's Gen 1 30/11 and Gen 2 25/11 for the *most* part offroad. I see no need to run 30% offroad on my tracks (outdoor and dry).

Onroad 1/8th it is (was) very commonplace to run a 9mm carb and 40% nitro. I've run onroad a little; but it's been a few years back, say when Odonnel fuels were "it".

I personally don't think there's any possible reason to use over 30% offroad unless you're at some high elevation.

If you're running 30% and a 7.5mm or 8mm carb; you should have plenty of power all around at all times.

I've found that higher nitro content hurts low end torque generally; but helps greatly with sustained high RPM runs. Your experiences may vary
Old 07-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

There are a lot of illegal things you could add to fuel to get more power but why do it? If you need more power, go to a larger restrictor, more nitro, mod the motor, etc. Any gains you get from illegal additives will be marginal and usually reduce fuel mileage.

Now onroad is a bit different. Marginal gains can mean a TQ. That's why IFMAR has gone to handout fuel for the worlds. One banned additive in particular was quite common among the pros just a few years ago, you could smell it but rules and fuel mileage issues have for the most part eliminated its use.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote