Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New Engine Super Tight >

New Engine Super Tight

New Engine Super Tight

Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New Engine Super Tight

Hi there

I recently purchased a bash engine for my HB d8 Buggy -its an STS .21 pull start. I took it out of its packaging today and noticed that even with no glow plug installed it is still super tight. It takes considerable effort just to get a few turns from the pull start. I can't even imagine how tight it will be when there is a plug in it. My question is is this normal for a new engine even with no plug? Whats the best way of loosening it up a little for the first run - hair dryer and some after run oil?

Cheers

Chris
Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Yes it is normal. Heat it up with a heat gun to about 200 degrees before you start it and it'll make it easier to start.

Last edited by Quad Racer 34; 07-10-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris_akl
Hi there

I recently purchased a bash engine for my HB d8 Buggy -its an STS .21 pull start. I took it out of its packaging today and noticed that even with no glow plug installed it is still super tight. It takes considerable effort just to get a few turns from the pull start. I can't even imagine how tight it will be when there is a plug in it. My question is is this normal for a new engine even with no plug? Whats the best way of loosening it up a little for the first run - hair dryer and some after run oil?

Cheers

Chris
Chris that is normal with a new engine, use a heat gun, don't think a hair dryer will get it to hot, I'll normally get my new engines up to about 200 degrees Fierenheit (sry about the spelling). Then turn it over, there should already be an abundance of oil in the motor, they do make break in oil for them first couple tanks, I don't use it. Deff use a heat gun better for the engine ( con rod etc), and your fingers on that pullstart lol.

Andy
Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

All engines new have a mechanical pinch when they are brand new and a proper engine breakin is important if you want well tuned and long lasting motor. The STS are very tight and heating the head and block with a heat gun upto 200 degrees will help in starting the motor, (i don't think a hair dryer will get hot enough). Once you get it started keep the HSN rich for the first 8 tanks and then start leaning it, don't full throttle for those tanks. Sounds a bit confusing but im sure theres a thread on engine break in. Good Luck
Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

A hair dryer will get it hot enough (140-150f is fine, 200 is optimal) but they're slower. I got a light duty heat gun for applying monokote to planes for $14-15 and it does very well. Definitely worth the investment.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A heat gun is a lot better than a hair dryer but the best solution although a 100 bucks or so is a competition heat head heater. One of the best things I have bought so far. It makes life so much easier it's not funny.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...-heat-inc.html

I would also put a few drops of ARO in there before you fire it up just incase it won't fire up and this will provide some lubrication.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

One downside of putting ARO in is the ARO will make it much more difficult for the engine to fire..ARO doesn't burn too well...IMO its better to just properly prime the engine with fuel and try to start it...the less wear and tear you put on the pullstart the better...ARO is only going to make you need to pull the engine over many more times trying to clear it out, as the engine likely wont fire till the ARO has been diluted or rinsed out
Old 07-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cheap heat gun and works great! http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-wa...112-96289.html
Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Initiate

yes heat it up to around 200 put some break in oil in the motor start it up and go through the break in and it should be fine.