Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to segui305

im pretty new to the nitro scene so i suck at tuning. lol
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

OS engines are by far the easiest tuning engines out there. They tune easy and hold their tune very well. With that said, most engines are pretty simple to tune when you know what you're doing.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the jammin JPX 21 is way easier to tune than vspec, speed or any other engine ive ran (besides maybe GRP) or tuned for someone. and it hold a tune better than anything. i never touch it. 95% of the time i dont even check the temp or anything, no need to because its always the same
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #19
Tech Elite

My OS engine was no easier to tune than Nova Rossi/RB or Reedy. Once you have a good tune. It should be 1hr or 2 either way. Am I the only one that hasn't had a problem with them. I know I'm no motor guru but I get the job done very well. There is much I need to learn that doesn't get talked about much on a thread.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've run and tuned some engines (OS speed, OS V-Spec, Ninja JX, MR Ninja, GRP tuned, TQ 501-t, Orion .21 ABI, Nova plus 21-4) and the GRP based engines are by far the easiest to tune and stay very consistent. Very little movement is ever needed on the needles.

The Orion and OS mills come at a very close second place since they are also very consistent, but nothing like the GRPs. The only turn off for me on the OS is the stupid carb insulator. It's always a PITA to get out when you need to change bearings or do some work to them.

The Nova was one of the finickiest engines I have ever ran. The tune would always need to be chased around. Once it was dialed in, it was a nice running motor.
pyromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1
I got an RB following all the good reviews here...since are Nova based they hold a tune and such only to find out later on that it needs way too much playing around and chasing for that perfect tune...if it's not perfect say hello to "flame out".

OS seams to work even if the tune is way off...it's not whether an engine is easy to tune but rather than how large is the "tuning window".
RCO
vti-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The lower # of ports the easier to tune for the most part.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
RB B10 is easy to tune and is very reliable.
i havent seen you run that rb10 at the track yet in columbia
RCBOY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #24
cdc
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBOY 1 View Post
i havent seen you run that rb10 at the track yet in columbia
I have heard that they tune easy and are reliable
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you listen to the engine it will talk to you.And all you have to do is give it what it wants.My toro rere/my os25/my p5x they all have different needs.Baseline start on the rich side and work it in a little and run it.The best setting is puffin good smoke from bottom to top and makin power.And a good idle.Make your moves one hour at a time.My toro's temps are at 182 and it's screaming down the straits .And it's getting 10+ run time.Grant it it's a powerhouse modded engine.But i like the low temps.Os is around 230 to 250 pro twister did that engine.The p5x ran good at 250 to 270 so i tune by smoke and power and check temps if it's holding the same temp threw a tank of fuel then you've found the spot.Good luck take your time
blacksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #26
Tech Champion

I've tuned a lot of engines, and can honestly say that OS's are the easiest to dial in for me at least. But like I said, any engine is easy to tune if you know what you are doing. Holding a tune is a different story, and that is something I think the OS carburetor excels at. I've never had an engine from another brand that would hold a tune so well through changing weather. That's not to say that it holds a tune that is spot on, because that is impossible, but like vti-chris said, OS engines will run with pretty much any tune on them and at least perform decently. Truth is, with enough experience with any engine, they become stupid simple to tune as long as they are in working order with no air leaks.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #27
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Myself I can tune any engine in my sleep....so finding the sweet spot for me in no issue on any brand...However I do find that each engine has varying degrees of sweet spot...some engines are capable of hitting a sweeter tune then others........ I find OS super easy to tune, however i find their sweet spot is nowhere near as sweet as a Picco's sweet spot or a B5's sweet spot.....To me the OS have a very obtuse sweet spot, its easy to get into the good running range, but impossible to get as crisp and responsive as the other 2 engines I mentioned.....Which is why I prefer Picco over OS for my own personal engines...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilks View Post
Haven't really experienced any engine that was "hard" to tune (besides engines with ceramic front bearing - that can be quite a pain to tune), but in my experience the OS engines are better at holding a tune.

In my team we run 2 different brands of engines: Ninja JX and SH engines. Ninja JX as the "top engine" and SH as the cheap alternative. I run the Ninja engine (which is an OS), and I pit (and tune) a SH. While they both a pretty easy to tune (if you know what you are doing), the Ninja JX holds that tune the entire day - while the SH needs to be re-tuned a couple of times a day.
What is your thought on this one? Are the engine harder to tune with a ceramic bearing? If not using a ceramic, what do I use instead? Anyone??
Klimpen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimpen717 View Post
What is your thought on this one? Are the engine harder to tune with a ceramic bearing? If not using a ceramic, what do I use instead? Anyone??
There is absolutely ZERO difference in tuning when using ceramics. I don't know why anyone would think that.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
I have heard that they tune easy and are reliable
ok yeah but arent you going to put a rb k10 on that rc8b you have
RCBOY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote