R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So far so good!

Set the engine back to factory settings, got my new OD purple sport plug in the mail and put in and it fired right up! Drove it around some (on the rich side due to factory settings) and seems to be fine. Started leaning it out some and had it cut off once (my fault, left air filter zip-tie off and air filter fell off while driving! Hopefully it didn't mess anything up, I did take engine back out and clean it all out once again to be sure). And needless to say my glo igniter battery died and is now charging. So I will get back with further results. Thanks for the help guys!
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Cool

Glad to hear u got it running.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #48
Tech Regular

welp, I spoke too soon. Same ol shit is going on! Even with my new OD plug. I got my igniter charged up and its doing the same crap, wants to run while the igniter is on the plug, but as soon as you remove the igniter it immeditaly dies. Im about to give up.

Do you guys think this may be a fuel problem?? I think the plugs are fine, they are glowing nice and red while on the igniter.

Note: I have had one good run-away with this motor. But that was 2 races ago. Since then I have raced it once a full race until last lap of that race, which may have been the start to my problems.

This motor may be screwed, unless you guys got some more ideas. Oh and I tried and tried tuning, but nothing. Started from factory settings and still wont start.
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #49
Tech Regular

ttt
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
Old 07-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The run away may have hurt the engine , but it may be fixable . Does the rod have a lot of play in it ? Also you said the air filter came off & you took the engine apart to clean it . You may have pinched an o-ring or something when putting it back together causing an air leak . How does the piston look & how does the compression feel ?
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #51
Tech Regular

compression feels good. Piston looks ok. the conrod I honestly dont know, I dont really know what im looking for. As far as real bad noticable play, no, but not sure tho. And you say pinched o ring, which one? any way to tell?
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As far as o-rings it depends on what you took apart . It could be the backplate or the carb o-ring ? If you pinched one it will be obvious when you take it apart . Did you have the carb. off ?
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #53
Tech Elite

I would go to the Houston Engine Services thread and ask Monty for some suggestions. He might have a answer. If the engine is getting fuel, there are no air leaks, clutch is good, Plug is good, fuel line is good and carb is set. I don't see why it wouldn't run. I wonder about the head shims and tune. Something isn't right.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
I would go to the Houston Engine Services thread and ask Monty for some suggestions. He might have a answer. If the engine is getting fuel, there are no air leaks, clutch is good, Plug is good, fuel line is good and carb is set. I don't see why it wouldn't run. I wonder about the head shims and tune. Something isn't right.
i think its because oh the head shim. he said a while back someone added another one, and i already had it shimmed for 30% (it was my one race old engine btw)
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #55
Tech Regular

yes a guy did shim it. (not knowing at the time it was already shimmed) when I took it apart the other day it had two copper shims. Should I remove one? Would that be my problem? I dont know how many it had before I had a guy to mess with it.
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #56
Tech Elite

i dont think it would be the shims. if it was one to many it would just be slow.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 AM   #57
Tech Regular

you first said it might be jmaxey.....? lol

How many did you have on it? Like I said it now has two copper looking shims.

Im about to give up on this motor. I have done all I can (except change fuel, nobody has really commented on that yet, anyone?) The fuel I have I bought from my local track, the owner sells it (powermaster 30%) so im not sure how long it has sat where he stores it or anything. I do know it ran on the last race just fine. Other than fuel I think im going to call the motor done and buy a new one. Or I may let somebody look at it and may can get it running first. I did have that good run away with it, which may have toasted it (lesson learned: always have a GOOD Rx pack, and charge it the night before, AND have a back up fail-safe aka: rubber bands) So if I do end up getting a new engine I will break it in and do everything right. And have my rubber bands on so it wont run away again.
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #58
Tech Elite

ive never heard of that fuel. i only run byrons fuel, i sugest trying byrons 30% first.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #59
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TAKE A LOOK AT THE CONROD LOOK CLOSE AT THE BUSHING IN THE END OF IT I BET ITS CRAKED I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN ON A NOVA .AND IT WOULD RUN FINE ON THE STARTER BOX THEN IT WOULD BLOW THE PLUG.IT ALLOWING THE PISTON TO COME UP TO FAR AND KILL THE PLUG
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Jeff talk to Houston Engine Services before you give up. He is very knowledgeable on Nova Rossi. He sells them.

If you decide to give up on it. If you don't want it maybe I can take it off your hands.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote