Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Savage X 4.6 or Savage XL >

Savage X 4.6 or Savage XL

Savage X 4.6 or Savage XL

Old 07-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Savage X 4.6 or Savage XL

ive had alot of people tell me that the savage xl is the way to go but many people hate it because of the engine. i am very much leaning tward buying a new savage x 4.6 because ive heard its a better stock truck i am not planning on doing and upgrades that i dont have to so i want stock super big jumping truck. Can any one point me in the right direction?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BikerB
ive had alot of people tell me that the savage xl is the way to go but many people hate it because of the engine. i am very much leaning tward buying a new savage x 4.6 because ive heard its a better stock truck i am not planning on doing and upgrades that i dont have to so i want stock super big jumping truck. Can any one point me in the right direction?
xl brakes. x doesnt. first thing you want to do with any of them. take that engine out, sell it before you even put 1 tank through it... and buy a LRP .30
Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default no

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
xl brakes. x doesnt. first thing you want to do with any of them. take that engine out, sell it before you even put 1 tank through it... and buy a LRP .30
like i said before i am not making any upgrades that i dont have to. so it sounds like i should go with the x
Old 07-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i work at a hobby shop and can tell you they are both tough as nails trucks and they both have the same brakes. the are almost 95% the same. i will say that the 4.6 in the x is a great motor that will weely all the way down the street and is plenty fast. as fast as an lrp .30 no but fo a stock truck it is awesome. also the xl .36 is a tricky motor to tune and has a narrow window in wich it tunes well . the 4.6 in the x is easy to tune and holds a tune well. but all in all you can't go wrong with either one.oh and if you want either one to break (stop) well remove the spring that is on the break linkage and install a piece of fuel tubing the same size. works great.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

like i said before i am not making any upgrades that i dont have to. so it sounds like i should go with the x
hpi motors are expensive...because of the name. you will have alot more fun on stock needles with a lrp too...its one of the best upgrades you will ever do. and get a steel spur, hardened clutch bell. alloy clutch, bulletproof diffs is enough.

once the above is on most savages the truck is next to indestructible.
the lrp is probably the most reliable engine on the market. and holds a tune for ages.

as for rubiconon37's, the xl has a hex bending... then stripping style, because of those ugly extenders with such big tyres... not worth the xtra money. by the time you drop a lrp, steel spur. clutch bell and shoes in the x will be just so much more fun.

YOU DONT WANT THAT STOCK ENGINE.
lrp .30 will produce WAY more power then that k5.9, plus... its cheaper too
Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rubiconon37's
i work at a hobby shop and can tell you they are both tough as nails trucks and they both have the same brakes. the are almost 95% the same. i will say that the 4.6 in the x is a great motor that will weely all the way down the street and is plenty fast. as fast as an lrp .30 no but fo a stock truck it is awesome. also the xl .36 is a tricky motor to tune and has a narrow window in wich it tunes well . the 4.6 in the x is easy to tune and holds a tune well. but all in all you can't go wrong with either one.oh and if you want either one to break (stop) well remove the spring that is on the break linkage and install a piece of fuel tubing the same size. works great.
so if i go with the lrp .30 it will be way faster or just a little bit because if i sell the f4.6 its about $145 and the lrp is $175 so i would only spend another $30 but would it be benificial to do that. will it run as good and tune as well because i have been into nitro trucks for 3 years and hate tunning! im also prabbly going with the savage x 4.6

Last edited by BikerB; 07-11-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

i know what im going to do now, im going to get the savage x 4.6 run it until the f4.6 dies get it replaced from hpi and sell it for a lrp .30 engine. if this doesnt sound good and im making a big mistake tell me!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i know what im going to do now, im going to get the savage x 4.6 run it until the f4.6 dies get it replaced from hpi and sell it for a lrp .30 engine. if this doesnt sound good and im making a big mistake tell me!
now you're using your head! why throw away a perfectly good engine? use it for as long as it lasts or you want and then upgrade. i would also look into a receiver pack and some stronger servos down the road.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rubiconon37's
now you're using your head! why throw away a perfectly good engine? use it for as long as it lasts or you want and then upgrade. i would also look into a receiver pack and some stronger servos down the road.
defently grab a rechargeable nimh receiver pack. will save you money on batties. and when your servos start to die, get some ALTURN servos.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

so if i go with the lrp .30 it will be way faster or just a little bit because if i sell the f4.6 its about $145 and the lrp is $175 so i would only spend another $30 but would it be benificial to do that. will it run as good and tune as well because i have been into nitro trucks for 3 years and hate tunning! im also prabbly going with the savage x 4.6
oh the lrp is a breeze... its a massive 7+1 port and its speed with 2 speed tranny is nuts... with 3 speed... u blink its gone
Old 01-20-2018, 05:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hpi Savage Xl vs Hpi Savage X

Does this part fit on both Hpi Savage X and Hpi Savage Xl....

Integy Suspension Kit Purple Monster Evo3 Savage X T6915purple