R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Werks fuel

Hey guys I just got a case of werks 30% race blend and when I unscrewed the lid on the first one there wasn't any kind of seal or plug like i'm used to seeing. The fuel was also very dark allready like it had been sitting in the sun even though it just came out of a sealed box. Was tjere supposed to be a seal?
AsSc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to VWVR6_T

you have PM<
QUOTE by FLHX1550 "The Werks B5 is kind of a legend"
VWVR6_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just responded to your pm asking the exact same question but I'll put it up here so everyone else can see too. To start with on the seal we use a Teflon seal that sits under the cap. When the cap is tightened this compresses against the top of the bottle and forms a liquid tight seal. Now regarding the darkness of the fuel, this is simply out anti-oxidant (rust inhibitor) whis is photo-reactive.

It's a little unusual but it darkens with exposure to uv radiation (just like film does) but just like it says on the label if you read it, this has absolutely no affect on the perfomance or stability of the fuel at all. As I mentioned this is a strange effect but out of all of the testing we have done it is the best anti-oxidant that we have been able to find! The net effect of this though will be that say you have a bottle of fuel sitting around for a while it will go from clear to slightly yellow'ish to something close to the color of apple juice to dark brown then to something close to black lol! It's really kinda interesting to see and again it is solely a result of the photo-reactivity of our anti-oxidant which actualy only represents about 4PPM (4 parts per million) of the total volume of fuel, so were talking a really really minute part of the fuel.

Again though this in no way affects the performance or protective capabilities of the fuel. Kortz and Bradley were running some fuel in LA earlier in the season that Kortz had in his garage for nearly 2 years and was completely black in color. Worked just fine and everyone thought it looked kinda cool lol!

Just be aware that when you switch to our fuel you are prbably going to have to significantly lean out your engine. Thus will result in a significant increase in run time. The fuel also offers significant increases in performance, frankly it is a true racing fuel that still offers exceptional protection because of the lubricant quality and the addatives package that we use, one of which is that anti-oxidant that changes colors lol! Hope this helps explainthings a bit.

Regards,

Ron
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Works fuel is great stuff, Just ignore the color like Ron said. I like the sealing cap, there is no little paper gasket to fall on the ground or get lost.
heidmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Tech Elite

I just got off of the phone with Jeremy Kortz and I'm happy to say that Werks "Race Blend" fuel can now add another national title to it's list! Werks team drives Jeremy Kortz took 1st and Chad Bradley took 2nd at the ROAR's first annual Short Course Nationals nearly filling the podium for our fuel! Jeremy also took TQ and 1st in the electric class bringing his total for this year to 3x ROAR National Championship wins!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

can I add a Werks Fuel question?

I run Byron 30/9 right now and am getting low but I will be travelling to an rcpro race in a couple weeks. The local shop there carries Werks fuel 30% ( which I can't get here ) If I switch In my B5 at the track will my tune be off by much or just slight tweak?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Any time you switch fuel you are going to have to re-tune your motor but it's not really that big of a deal if you know how to tune ok. For us most of the time we go to a big race it is a travel race so we end up having to completely re-tune our engines anyways lol!