Wiki Posts
Search

Modern nitros

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Modern nitros

How user friendly are nitros these days? Have had one probably about ten years ago and it frustrated the heck out of me having always fiddle with the tuning on them. Have they improved much these days, or are they still fiddly things to tune an require constant tweaking? Currently have a brushless 1/10th but looking to step up to a bigger 1/8ths, and where I am there isnt any 1/8th brushless racing, so I need to go nitro if I want to do so.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

OS engine are the most user friendly out there, really easy to tune and seam to run on any kind of tune......Nova rossi's make a lot of power but are tune picky.....
Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

This might help you out

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ngine-out.html
Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

There's so many factors here that it's probably impossible to give you the answer you're looking for.
Everything plays a factor in engine tuning. Temp, humidity, elevation, fuel, glow plug all are major components. If any one changes, the tune changes. Some brand motors hold a tune better than others. Lower % nitro leave a larger window to tune in, higher % is a little more picky.
Then factor in your knowledge and ability to learn how to correctly tune. Watch the guys that know how to tune and you generally don't see them turning many needles, just some fine tuning. The. Watch others and they are chasing their tune all over the place. It's really different with everyone.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Did you try .12's or .21's 10 years ago?

Both are still "finnicky"; but they're a LOT easier to tune that they were 10 years ago. Between the fuel and (in general) finer-pitched needle threads than the old days, the engines are a bit easier to tune and generally have a considerably broader tuning-window that they will run in.

If you want it to go out there and run itself and not need maintenance or not have to adjust the mixture screws slightly throughout the day, then no, nitro is not for you.

It's not hard if you read up and pay attention though I'm sure you have a ton of guys at your local track that would help you as well
Old 07-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mblgjr
Did you try .12's or .21's 10 years ago?

Both are still "finnicky"; but they're a LOT easier to tune that they were 10 years ago. Between the fuel and (in general) finer-pitched needle threads than the old days, the engines are a bit easier to tune and generally have a considerably broader tuning-window that they will run in.

If you want it to go out there and run itself and not need maintenance or not have to adjust the mixture screws slightly throughout the day, then no, nitro is not for you.

It's not hard if you read up and pay attention though I'm sure you have a ton of guys at your local track that would help you as well
Cant remember what it was to be honest, it came in a HPI RTR car. I think half the problem was lack of patience, and always breaking pull starts, so half the battle was just getting the thing started. A starter box or starter gun would save a lot of that problem these days. Thinkn I will give them another go as this 1/10th just isnt doing it for me anymore.

I know most people who race use a starter box, but could you use a starter drill like what comes with teh Asscoiated RC8 on race tracks?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Default RTR

If you bring an RTR most will let you run what you have.

I have the truggy RTR at the moment. But I wouldn't suggest an RTR unless you don't have the radio, engine, etc.

The Losi is nice but none are as nice as the kit versions once you get to looking at them. Just my honest opinion. If you go that route you need to rebuild the buggy/truggy and Loctite everything.

Look into it before do that!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

HPI's small block engines are just horrid, especially with the one needle carbs.
A BB engine is a completely different experience. I started the hobby with a used Nitro Hawk that frustrated me so bad I almost gave up. Wife bought me a Savage 25 rtr one Father's day. I was amazed at the difference! So easy to operate and tune, sold the Hawk promptly and never looked back.
I say a starter box is the way to go, so much more reliable, easier to use once set up too. Less moving parts on your engine, which is one less thing to break. I started racing 1/8th nitro 5 years ago, there is no time for a B.S. roto start or pullstart. Sooner or later it will cost you a race.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ScroggJL21
HPI's small block engines are just horrid, especially with the one needle carbs.
A BB engine is a completely different experience. I started the hobby with a used Nitro Hawk that frustrated me so bad I almost gave up. Wife bought me a Savage 25 rtr one Father's day. I was amazed at the difference! So easy to operate and tune, sold the Hawk promptly and never looked back.
I say a starter box is the way to go, so much more reliable, easier to use once set up too. Less moving parts on your engine, which is one less thing to break. I started racing 1/8th nitro 5 years ago, there is no time for a B.S. roto start or pullstart. Sooner or later it will cost you a race.
Thanks guys, will look into my options. The losi RTR with everything but fuel and batteries is quite temtping, especially with the good radio gear, but really prefer to build my kits, so may look at other options. Its almost the most fun part, choosing and researching what kit to buy
Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by thorns
How user friendly are nitros these days? Have had one probably about ten years ago and it frustrated the heck out of me having always fiddle with the tuning on them. Have they improved much these days, or are they still fiddly things to tune an require constant tweaking? Currently have a brushless 1/10th but looking to step up to a bigger 1/8ths, and where I am there isnt any 1/8th brushless racing, so I need to go nitro if I want to do so.

Cheers
get a go engine, gx series. either gx7r or gx3r.
set your tune... and leave it for months they are a very nice engine... and cheap too...