Wiki Posts
Search

wiping out clutch bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LabRat99
IMO, if your regularly blowing up clutch bearings somethings not aligned right or shimmed right. As to removing grease from the bearings, if it maks you feel better then go for it. Or, you could just pop em in run a tank through and then take the CB off and wipe any excess grease out. Problem solved.
Why would I pull the engine out, remove the clutch bell and clean it again if I could just spray the grease out of the bearings in the first place? Sounds pretty stupid to me. Plus what happens when you want to put a fresh set of bearings in for a long main? Do you stop one tank in and pull your engine to clean the grease out? LOL. Just spray them out and you won't have the problem in the first place. I don't see why it's so hard for you guys to understand. It takes like a minute per set of bearings. It really isn't that hard to just do it the right way.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
+1 I always blast the grease out of my bearings. I use the RPM bearing blaster and some motor spray to blast all the grease out of my clutch bearings. I also use a drop or two of modified bearing oil in them. Makes them last a lot longer.
Man I use to do the same thing and check them before every main. Now throw them shim them corectly and run them for Andes races. Use a descent bearing and they will last a few races. The losi hd bearings are great and the tko special bearings are great as long as you install them correctly. The blue seals face the inside of the cb ao they face eachother.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why would I pull the engine out, remove the clutch bell and clean it again if I could just spray the grease out of the bearings in the first place? Sounds pretty stupid to me. Plus what happens when you want to put a fresh set of bearings in for a long main? Do you stop one tank in and pull your engine to clean the grease out? LOL. Just spray them out and you won't have the problem in the first place. I don't see why it's so hard for you guys to understand. It takes like a minute per set of bearings. It really isn't that hard to just do it the right way.
Umm...because what you are suggesting is TOTALLY not necessary. The grease in the bearings doesn't hurt anything. But like I said earlier, if it makes you feel better go for it. Just don't try to pass it off as a necessary part of clutch maintenance. It's not.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L
Man I use to do the same thing and check them before every main. Now throw them shim them corectly and run them for Andes races. Use a descent bearing and they will last a few races. The losi hd bearings are great and the tko special bearings are great as long as you install them correctly. The blue seals face the inside of the cb ao they face eachother.
I've even been able to make cheapo ProTek metal shielded bearings last using this method. I do need to order up some TKO's though. They are sweet! I actually prefer a metal shielded bearing in the clutch. They spin better and definitely last longer. I used to blow the rubber sealed cheapo bearings all the time. Since switching to the metal shielded ones they last at least twice as long.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Umm...because what you are suggesting is TOTALLY not necessary. The grease in the bearings doesn't hurt anything. But like I said earlier, if it makes you feel better go for it. Just don't try to pass it off as a necessary part of clutch maintenance. It's not.
Uh OK. I guess you like your clutch to slip...
Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Just don't try to pass it off as a necessary part of clutch maintenance.
You've maintenance confused with common sense...
Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blacksunshine
Hey rageworks do you know for a fact has this happened to you with the werks or just giving advice?
Yea, years back I and quite a few others tried the
Werks clutch set-up. It was always a P.I.T.A. to
keep set right. When the parts from two other centax
style clutches were swaped into it we got it to work
properly. But even then it would still super-heat the
clutch bells and fry the bearings. I don't know of any
bearing that will stand up to that much heat. Like stated
above, it was a passing fad that everyone just had to try.
If it's that great a clutch set-up, then why aren't the
Werks pro drivers using them?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Gotta agree with ya...

Grease is the word...It burns off in like 4 minutes if it gets on the clutch.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Bottom line, the grease has no business in the clutch bell. I too use the one run then wipe out the grease method. Since doing this, my cheap protek rubber sheilded bearings will last multiple races. Clutch shoes last near 3 gallons with 1,1 springs. I have temped CBs vs installing them and letting them go with no cleanup. Huge difference. 50 degrees more heat when you dont clean them out. Another good tip I recently figured out is to dremel off the hard anno. on new shoes. Massive difference in engagement and shoe life..
Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

dremel off the hard anno.???????
can u plz explain this
Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
LOL@Mad Dog..."Grease is the way we are feeling"
Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

I don't know about you, but I usually like to have a clutch for those 4 minutes. You act like 4 minutes doesn't matter. LOL so funny. You're telling me you let the grease "burn off"(clutch slipping) for the first 4 minutes of a main? That's a great way to get off to a good start.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Take it easy...

I don't know about you, but I usually like to have a clutch for those 4 minutes. You act like 4 minutes doesn't matter. LOL so funny. You're telling me you let the grease "burn off"(clutch slipping) for the first 4 minutes of a main? That's a great way to get off to a good start.
I put new clutch bearings in my buggy every three to four racedays. The first 4 minutes is during practice before the first qualifier. I take my engine out after the first raceday and wipe down the bell and brush off my shoes and the bearings are fine, and check everything after every race day, no big deal really. To each his own, we all have our methods, and it's fine to have a difference of opinion. Just don't bash Labrat and I for doing things differently than you...
Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

i use the cheap .99 cent bearings in my losi truggy with losi clutch setup, i dont do anything to them, just throw them in and race, have never noticed any slippage, a bearing will usally last me 4 racedays, 3 quilifers and a main each race day, (not A-MAIN) lol... the greese the factory adds to the bearing is pretty much for shelf life and isnt enough to worry about at all, very very little is used, i feel when you "blow the greese out" and add a couple drops of bearing lube, pretty much just doing what factory did for you and is a waste of time. just my opinion guys, everybody has one!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

I put new clutch bearings in my buggy every three to four racedays. The first 4 minutes is during practice before the first qualifier. I take my engine out after the first raceday and wipe down the bell and brush off my shoes and the bearings are fine, and check everything after every race day, no big deal really. To each his own, we all have our methods, and it's fine to have a difference of opinion. Just don't bash Labrat and I for doing things differently than you...
Not bashing anyone, just a little confused as to why people are having such a hard time understanding that grease has it's place and that place isn't in the clutch bell!! I always change bearings before a long main(running a losi... They eat clutch bearings). It is just a little OCD habit of mine. Probably not necessary but a practice have gotten accustomed to. So for me, I can't let the grease burn off every time I change bearings as it would sometimes be at the beginning of a main. That is the basis of my though process of cleaning them out. It only takes a minute and eliminates any need to clean the grease out of the clutch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.