R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #31
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info thus far. Please keep it coming. (links to suggested setups, spare parts must haves,good performance videos, ect).

That D8T deal from stormer is hard to overlook.

Is there a street date announce for the OD Z01 SG yet? (source?)
pharaoh319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #32
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Any of those kits will serve you well as long as you do your part
as a driver/mechanic.

I'm bias though so I will say the RC8Tce.
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Losi - best all around truck. Parts are easy to get and support is every where

AE - No comment

OD/XRAY - parts are hard to come by and very little to no support

D8T - ITS OK - but you will need a whole bunch of hopups to get on the level of LOSI, MUGEN, XRAY..... This info has come from HB TEAM RACERS. I brought one for my son and he broke 3 parts in an hour, he drove my Losi and did not break anything. Once you get all the parts for the D8T - it will not cost much less than the top

Again AE - no comment.........

I love the losi stuff. There is plenty of parts and support every where. Have not met on team driver that was not willing to help me out when needed. Yes, I have broke one part in 2 years, and that was my fault. Yes its gets a little sloppy but it handles better.

Losi all the way.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Losi - best all around truck. Parts are easy to get and support is every where

AE - No comment

OD/XRAY - parts are hard to come by and very little to no support

D8T - ITS OK - but you will need a whole bunch of hopups to get on the level of LOSI, MUGEN, XRAY..... This info has come from HB TEAM RACERS. I brought one for my son and he broke 3 parts in an hour, he drove my Losi and did not break anything. Once you get all the parts for the D8T - it will not cost much less than the top

Again AE - no comment.........

I love the losi stuff. There is plenty of parts and support every where. Have not met on team driver that was not willing to help me out when needed. Yes, I have broke one part in 2 years, and that was my fault. Yes its gets a little sloppy but it handles better.

Losi all the way.
I Disagree with the no support for Odonnell... parts are abundent, just like Mugen, in certain parts of the country. NOW, if you had any issues, I know for a fact, that if you PM'd ANY one of the OD drivers on here your phone number, they will call you and help you out in any way. Same with Mr. Odonnell himself.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlewis4 View Post
I Disagree with the no support for Odonnell... parts are abundent, just like Mugen, in certain parts of the country. NOW, if you had any issues, I know for a fact, that if you PM'd ANY one of the OD drivers on here your phone number, they will call you and help you out in any way. Same with Mr. Odonnell himself.
Yep and thats why they a flying off the shelf.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #36
Tech Addict

Quote:
What hop up parts for the d8t are u talking about? You're from Colorado right? Addie and Clayton and other hb guys don't have anything except for aluminum hub carriers... I put kyosho rod ends to stop the rubbing. Its all driving style man, the d8t is a beast and any good driver can win with it. If I had the bucks I'd get the losi but I'm in college I can barely afford my fuel
mike881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike881 View Post
What hop up parts for the d8t are u talking about? You're from Colorado right? Addie and Clayton and other hb guys don't have anything except for aluminum hub carriers... I put kyosho rod ends to stop the rubbing. Its all driving style man, the d8t is a beast and any good driver can win with it. If I had the bucks I'd get the losi but I'm in college I can barely afford my fuel
I would have to clarify that with Addy and 30, I was given a list of parts to get.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Quote:
I would have to clarify that with Addy and 30, I was given a list of parts to get.
Oh and I wasn't trying to be rude I just wanna know! they helped me out a whole bunch my first nitro race at rat and they said they run everything stock except for the rear hubs. Of course my rear hub broke that day...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Sorry TOken. I forgot you know everything about truggy's.

Just because a truggy is not flying off the shelf does not mean it isnt top notch.

And to be honost, the new SG buggy, which came out Friday.... was sold out from Tower Hobbies in about 15 minutes. And i guarantee that when the new SG truggy comes out, it will do the same thing.

The reason Losi/AE are selling like crazy, is because the company has been around forever, the name, everything. I am not saying they are bad companies... hell, I run Losi 10th scale.

BUT, it all depends on where you are in the country for support. Washington is overrun by OD and Kyosho.

Here (MO) is AE.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #40
Tech Rookie

So let me now ask this: Personal preference aside, What kit do you see more of at your local track. Yes I know this will vary per location, and I will ask around my local tracks:

(wayoutwestrc.com & outacontrolhobbies.com)

Definately don't wanna be the one guy running the only kit NO ONE else runs. Ya know for that rare occasion when the track "suddenly shifts" and I break a part on a "bump" that wasn't there a lap before. lol.
pharaoh319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #41
Tech Addict

I think Losi is top everywhere. There was a thread on this a few days ago. Some places have mugen on top but I'd say for the most part, Losi is dominating. They are great cars
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Losi, AE, mugen
Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Its funny i am a team driver for HB and the only thing i have on mine is alum rear hubs and i ran the stock ones without breaking them but i dont hit everthing in my way neither but as for hop ups thats funny the 2 fastest guys around here in truggy are me and coty ingram, he runs a mugen mbx6 and i run a almost bone stock d8t and i turn just as fast of lapes as he does all the truggys are good that are out there but when someone talks all this crap about needing this and that for the Hb cars to me its bull and yes i ran almost ever car on the market and i choose hb i would just get what the best part support is around ur area.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I have either owned them all or driven them. The Losi is for sure a top choice. It has its faults but they all do. Setup to suit your style is a must with all trucks.
My top choice out of all that I have driven has been no other than the Hot Bodies D8T. I am faster and have seen very little flaws. Only required part over stock is the steering horn.
I truly get a kick out of reading alot of these posts. You need this or need that. Throwing money at it or owning the most expensive will not do you any good if you can't drive. I bet that over 90% of this forum is made up of club racers but yet watch the pros for advice.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlewis4 View Post
Sorry TOken. I forgot you know everything about truggy's.

Just because a truggy is not flying off the shelf does not mean it isnt top notch.

And to be honost, the new SG buggy, which came out Friday.... was sold out from Tower Hobbies in about 15 minutes. And i guarantee that when the new SG truggy comes out, it will do the same thing.

The reason Losi/AE are selling like crazy, is because the company has been around forever, the name, everything. I am not saying they are bad companies... hell, I run Losi 10th scale.

BUT, it all depends on where you are in the country for support. Washington is overrun by OD and Kyosho.

Here (MO) is AE.
Didnt say either was bad. I think others are better. my argument with OD comes from working in a LHS and trying to get support for kits that was missing parts. It comes from customers complaining that they cant find parts. The SG buggy, call tower and ask how many they got in stock. Yes I know everything about truggies. What I stated was my opinion based on my experience, and no one has to agree.