R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 62
Default OS VG.21 and Hobby Services

The OS VG comes with a 2 year warranty. What exactly is the warranty? I had my motor start running bad. I sent it in for warranty then I get an estimate telling me that the motor is not covered by warranty. Hobby Services quotes me like $120 to fix a rough rear bearing and the fit between the piston and liner are loose. They then let me know that they will give me a discount of $68 as a customer service to me and my cost to fix will be like $65. and then they will ship it to me for free. They repeat as a customer service we are going to give you a discount on the repair. I feel if they have to repeat that twice then its got to be BS. If I decline their quote then it cost $20 plus shipping to rebox and ship it back to me. If I say send it back I have replace the bearing and get the p/s repinched. So the price will still be about the same as just having them do it. When repairing does anyone know if they use new parts or just repinch what you have?

I got like 3.5 gallons out of this motor and Im wondering what you guys think. I would like to get something that will last longer than that. Which is the reason I purchased the OS VG thinking it might be more reliable and it comes with a warranty which doesn't happen to be worth the paper it was written on.
sflagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflagg View Post
The OS VG comes with a 2 year warranty. What exactly is the warranty? I had my motor start running bad. I sent it in for warranty then I get an estimate telling me that the motor is not covered by warranty. Hobby Services quotes me like $120 to fix a rough rear bearing and the fit between the piston and liner are loose. They then let me know that they will give me a discount of $68 as a customer service to me and my cost to fix will be like $65. and then they will ship it to me for free. They repeat as a customer service we are going to give you a discount on the repair. I feel if they have to repeat that twice then its got to be BS. If I decline their quote then it cost $20 plus shipping to rebox and ship it back to me. If I say send it back I have replace the bearing and get the p/s repinched. So the price will still be about the same as just having them do it. When repairing does anyone know if they use new parts or just repinch what you have?

I got like 3.5 gallons out of this motor and Im wondering what you guys think. I would like to get something that will last longer than that. Which is the reason I purchased the OS VG thinking it might be more reliable and it comes with a warranty which doesn't happen to be worth the paper it was written on.
warranty on a nitro engine? good stuff right there

i would personally say to go get yourself another new engine and take care of it

the vg is not the best "cheap" engine on the market for sure look around , i would say a n21r limited or the new (yet to be named) econo 5 port from novarossi
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,701
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod
Default

Never heard of a warranty on a Nitro Engine. 3.5 gallons is pretty good to get out of an OS 21VG. Not bad engines at all...they just don't last very long without a pinch. $65 isn't a bad price when you break it down though for a pinch (or new P/S), a bearing, labor, and shipping.

I would pay the $65 to have them repair it.....and start looking for your next mill. You'll probably have another 2.5 - 3.5 gallons out of that VG to look.
__________________
Scott Pouliot
Current Race Rigs: TLR 8ight 3.0/3.0E/3.0T/22/22-4
==============================================
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
warranty on a nitro engine? thats funny stuff

i would personally say to go get yourself another new engine and take care of it this time

the vg is not the best "cheap" engine on the market for sure
houston, what would you recommend to do to make it last longer? It pretty much has run around 230* its whole life. Im a new non fast driver so it spends very little time at the top of the powerband.
sflagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflagg View Post
houston, what would you recommend to do to make it last longer? It pretty much has run around 230* its whole life. Im a new non fast driver so it spends very little time at the top of the powerband.
like motogod said , 3 and a half gallons out of one of those is not bad , air filter clean constantly? a cheap rear bearing is a cheap rear bearing

i would recommend getting with one of the local cool semi fast guys that are not "too cool" to talk to ya and have em show ya a few things bro . if you get it , you get it , if you dont , you dont . some have an easy time with mechanics and some dont , never be afraid to ask a question , how else would you learn
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 214
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

for the price the dynamite red heads are really good
__________________
Chase Rogers
Hot Bodies ve8
Team Associated b4.1
Team Associated RC8T-CE
chaserogers14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: All Over So. Fla.
Posts: 985
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserogers14 View Post
for the price the dynamite red heads are really good
Now if someone would just come up with a blonde......
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,701
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
like motogod said , 3 and a half gallons out of one of those is not bad , air filter clean constantly? a cheap rear bearing is a cheap rear bearing

i would recommend getting with one of the local cool semi fast guys that are not "too cool" to talk to ya and have em show ya a few things bro . if you get it , you get it , if you dont , you dont . some have an easy time with mechanics and some dont , never be afraid to ask a question , how else would you learn
Yeah I used to run (2) OS 21VGs....1 in my Buggy and 1 in my Truggy. They ran pretty great, but no matter what you do to them the piston/sleeve pretty much dies at the 3-4 gallon mark. I ran em rich, lean, hot, cool...nothing mattered. Now they did run pretty good for an entry level race engine for those gallons.....but they just don't last long at all. So I pinched them and sold them.

So if you don't mind the constant pinching (if you run a lot of fuel often) then keep em and run with it. Otherwise, buy yourself a longer lasting engine in your price range ;-)
__________________
Scott Pouliot
Current Race Rigs: TLR 8ight 3.0/3.0E/3.0T/22/22-4
==============================================
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
blktransam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4,242
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

check out the Werks B5 or B6!! will not find better engines for the money....or for even more money hard to beat
__________________
-Ryan Klemme
NemoRacingUSA.com,Beta tires,Agama, Triton Engines, Rocket Graphics, Byron Fuels, RcRenew, Major Art & Hobby, BuKu Products,
Midwest team manager for Nemoracingusa
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:52 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net