R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
Tech Addict
 
hdcruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pittsburg Ca.
Posts: 732
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Success, I got them all out. Took my trusty hammer and wacked the crap out of the side of the motor mount. Flipped it over stuck my allen in there and gave it it a nice push and pop they both came loose. I have a question what part of the stainless will strip out. It cant be the threads,as I have never stripped threads out on one. Are you talking about the hex part ?
__________________
Ofna Late Model-Losi 350-Losi RE 10-Hobbico CS170s
Coldfusion Fuel
Henchman Racing
hdcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcruzer View Post
Success, I got them all out. Took my trusty hammer and wacked the crap out of the side of the motor mount. Flipped it over stuck my allen in there and gave it it a nice push and pop they both came loose. I have a question what part of the stainless will strip out. It cant be the threads,as I have never stripped threads out on one. Are you talking about the hex part ?
stainless screws are soft as butter and strip VERY easy. I got a set when i first got my car thinking they would be better but i was very wrong. They also bend very easy. Get your screws from tony!!!
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #18
Tech Master
 
johnny t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,289
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcruzer View Post
Success, I got them all out. Took my trusty hammer and wacked the crap out of the side of the motor mount. Flipped it over stuck my allen in there and gave it it a nice push and pop they both came loose. I have a question what part of the stainless will strip out. It cant be the threads,as I have never stripped threads out on one. Are you talking about the hex part ?

stainless screws are a bad idea. they are soft and the head will strip out. Do not use locktite and instead treat the threads with boiled linseed oil.

if you find yourself with stuck screws you can either heat the screw direct with a soldering iron or drill the head off(my favorite way).
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Stainless screws are terrible! Way too soft. The heads just strip right out. Get yourself some Tony's Screws and be done with it!
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Tech Addict
 
jammin32j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake county
Posts: 633
Default

I have had stainless screws come out of plastic with no threads left on them.
__________________
VP Pro, Agama
Hitec-7955's, 3Pk----AKA Racing Tires
Absolutehobbyz.com____Dirtrc.com
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Underground, Ohio
Posts: 4,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny t View Post
stainless screws are a bad idea. they are soft and the head will strip out. Do not use locktite and instead treat the threads with boiled linseed oil.

if you find yourself with stuck screws you can either heat the screw direct with a soldering iron or drill the head off(my favorite way).
Linseed oil?

Didn't know that worked as threadlock! Where do u get it? Sounds like a cake ingredient or something. Deos it have to be hot, or do you just boil it and bottle it up to use later?
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #22
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

alot of the carbon deposits that make carbon steel hard is removed when stainless is made. It's not even magnetic. You will never see stainless used where stregth is needed. There are different grades of carbon and what tony has is the best as far as carbon goes. I will take carbon over titanium. Titanium will snap, stainless will bend.


hell, if they had aluminum screws i would take them over stainless
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #23
Tech Addict
 
jammin32j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake county
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Linseed oil?

Didn't know that worked as threadlock! Where do u get it? Sounds like a cake ingredient or something. Deos it have to be hot, or do you just boil it and bottle it up to use later?
You can get linseed oil at an arts supply shop
__________________
VP Pro, Agama
Hitec-7955's, 3Pk----AKA Racing Tires
Absolutehobbyz.com____Dirtrc.com
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #24
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
alot of the carbon deposits that make carbon steel hard is removed when stainless is made. It's not even magnetic. You will never see stainless used where stregth is needed. There are different grades of carbon and what tony has is the best as far as carbon goes. I will take carbon over titanium. Titanium will snap, stainless will bend.


hell, if they had aluminum screws i would take them over stainless
They do have aluminum screws bud.

Totally agree though. Just get screwed by Tony's Screws and be done with it. You'll be happy you did.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #25
Tech Master
 
johnny t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,289
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Linseed oil?

Didn't know that worked as threadlock! Where do u get it? Sounds like a cake ingredient or something. Deos it have to be hot, or do you just boil it and bottle it up to use later?
It is available wherever you find paint. Right next to the thinners and solvents. It comes prebolied. Linseed oil is an old bike wheelbuilders trick on spokes and nipples. The stuff never dries hard just gets gummy. Enough to provide a little locktite/antisieze benefit. I use it on almost all the steel/aluminum thread junctions with my car. It takes days to weeks to dry though so doesn't give immediate benefit like normal locktite does.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with removing engine mounts helgso Nitro Off-Road 25 07-01-2009 11:23 AM
8 rtr w/ mach 427, removing roto start for bump start Hitman Racing 1 Nitro Off-Road 7 03-25-2009 11:10 AM
removing damaged screws 32819toon Nitro On-Road 11 07-28-2007 04:51 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:33 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net