Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Removing Motor mounts? >

Removing Motor mounts?

Removing Motor mounts?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Success, I got them all out. Took my trusty hammer and wacked the crap out of the side of the motor mount. Flipped it over stuck my allen in there and gave it it a nice push and pop they both came loose. I have a question what part of the stainless will strip out. It cant be the threads,as I have never stripped threads out on one. Are you talking about the hex part ?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hdcruzer
Success, I got them all out. Took my trusty hammer and wacked the crap out of the side of the motor mount. Flipped it over stuck my allen in there and gave it it a nice push and pop they both came loose. I have a question what part of the stainless will strip out. It cant be the threads,as I have never stripped threads out on one. Are you talking about the hex part ?
stainless screws are soft as butter and strip VERY easy. I got a set when i first got my car thinking they would be better but i was very wrong. They also bend very easy. Get your screws from tony!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hdcruzer

stainless screws are a bad idea. they are soft and the head will strip out. Do not use locktite and instead treat the threads with boiled linseed oil.

if you find yourself with stuck screws you can either heat the screw direct with a soldering iron or drill the head off(my favorite way).
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Stainless screws are terrible! Way too soft. The heads just strip right out. Get yourself some Tony's Screws and be done with it!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

I have had stainless screws come out of plastic with no threads left on them.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by johnny t
stainless screws are a bad idea. they are soft and the head will strip out. Do not use locktite and instead treat the threads with boiled linseed oil.

if you find yourself with stuck screws you can either heat the screw direct with a soldering iron or drill the head off(my favorite way).
Linseed oil?

Didn't know that worked as threadlock! Where do u get it? Sounds like a cake ingredient or something. Deos it have to be hot, or do you just boil it and bottle it up to use later?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

alot of the carbon deposits that make carbon steel hard is removed when stainless is made. It's not even magnetic. You will never see stainless used where stregth is needed. There are different grades of carbon and what tony has is the best as far as carbon goes. I will take carbon over titanium. Titanium will snap, stainless will bend.

hell, if they had aluminum screws i would take them over stainless
Old 06-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Linseed oil?

Didn't know that worked as threadlock! Where do u get it? Sounds like a cake ingredient or something. Deos it have to be hot, or do you just boil it and bottle it up to use later?
You can get linseed oil at an arts supply shop
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
alot of the carbon deposits that make carbon steel hard is removed when stainless is made. It's not even magnetic. You will never see stainless used where stregth is needed. There are different grades of carbon and what tony has is the best as far as carbon goes. I will take carbon over titanium. Titanium will snap, stainless will bend.

hell, if they had aluminum screws i would take them over stainless
They do have aluminum screws bud.

Totally agree though. Just get screwed by Tony's Screws and be done with it. You'll be happy you did.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Linseed oil?

It is available wherever you find paint. Right next to the thinners and solvents. It comes prebolied. Linseed oil is an old bike wheelbuilders trick on spokes and nipples. The stuff never dries hard just gets gummy. Enough to provide a little locktite/antisieze benefit. I use it on almost all the steel/aluminum thread junctions with my car. It takes days to weeks to dry though so doesn't give immediate benefit like normal locktite does.