R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusillus View Post
the wheel looks like the original part, at least from pics I see online of replacement wheels.

The wheel doesn't touch the flywheel when the chassis it resting on the tabs (not flush on the box top plate) If I put the chassis flush on the top plate its still a few mm off the flywheel. Then when I press the box down the motor just binds and doesn't spin, although it spins freely without anything touching it.

Replacement wheels are flat on the edges and this wheel is tapered to a point from wear, so I really don't know how much wheel is really left.

The crappy thing is I've been unable to find another starter in my area that works with my vehicles.

I tried a Dynamite brand 1/10 scale starter for my Hyper 10sc. The wheel on that is an inch away from my flywheel when pressed down because the handle you press down is also the rear aligning plate for the chassis (Stupid Design)
Ok, a couple of things.

1) REDO THE WIRES FIRST.

2) Make sure the starter box wheel is hitting ONLY the flywheel and not also rubbing on the chassis- hitting the chassis will stop the box.

3) That wheel is pretty worn, but honestly it is probably ok. You need to be sure the box turns the (electric) motor BEFORE making contact with the flywheel. It needs to be spinning first, otherwise it will "stall." You can adjust the point at which it makes contact- look at the switch mechanism that supports the rear of the lid and you will see what I mean.

I can't tell if the motor in the box is good or not... but generally they either work ok or not at all. Pay attention to point #3 above. When the truck is on the box and you push it down, the starter box should spin before it makes contact with the flywheel. If you can't push the truck down enough to get the box spinning without it contacting the flywheel, then the box is not adjusted right.

And the restaurant I mentioned was in Manitowoc... I THINK across the street from a Holiday Inn.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Ok, a couple of things.

1) REDO THE WIRES FIRST.

2) Make sure the starter box wheel is hitting ONLY the flywheel and not also rubbing on the chassis- hitting the chassis will stop the box.

3) That wheel is pretty worn, but honestly it is probably ok. You need to be sure the box turns the (electric) motor BEFORE making contact with the flywheel. It needs to be spinning first, otherwise it will "stall." You can adjust the point at which it makes contact- look at the switch mechanism that supports the rear of the lid and you will see what I mean.

I can't tell if the motor in the box is good or not... but generally they either work ok or not at all. Pay attention to point #3 above. When the truck is on the box and you push it down, the starter box should spin before it makes contact with the flywheel. If you can't push the truck down enough to get the box spinning without it contacting the flywheel, then the box is not adjusted right.

And the restaurant I mentioned was in Manitowoc... I THINK across the street from a Holiday Inn.
Looks like Domit has you on the right track.. And the wheel is shot, but should still work for a while at least..
Old 06-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Drusillus Send a message via MSN to Drusillus Send a message via Skype™ to Drusillus

I will tear it apart to night and see what I can do about the gap, thanks again everyone for your help
Drusillus is offline   Reply With Quote