R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

get a hot bodies. They are cheaper and they work just as good. ty got 3rd in buggy and jesse 2nd in truggy. There was no beating tebo no matter what he ran. He was strait dialed in! Good job to him.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i will be getting a truggy and i am intrigued by the d8t. I was looking at the parts list on amain and the are CHEAP. My mugen parts are twice as much. But i never break anything on my mbx6. Some things wear out eventually but that takes some time. But the price point on the hotbodies is a great selling point.

The question is, how durable is it. And i know how hard it will be to get a unbiased answer. All of the cars out now are good, and i have seen some people switch to AE. I know in the end i will go with mugen though.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
get a hot bodies. They are cheaper and they work just as good. ty got 3rd in buggy and jesse 2nd in truggy. There was no beating tebo no matter what he ran. He was strait dialed in! Good job to him.
By the time you add all the optional parts to lighten them to the rest of the top runners, you may as well have bought a Mugen or other top tier brand to begin with.
How stock do ya think Tessman's or Jesse's D8s are?
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like Associated been driving them since 1984 and had all the other 1/8 offroad buggies and truggies brands before Associated released there 1/8 scale stuff except Hot Bodies but hope to drive one someday, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you to get Associated just because I think they are the best. Just do some research on all of them and make your own choice hope this helps.

Last edited by RC-ZOMBIE; 06-28-2010 at 01:22 PM.
RC-ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
By the time you add all the optional parts to lighten them to the rest of the top runners, you may as well have bought a Mugen or other top tier brand to begin with.
No, do you think any of those cars are stock? None of them are. Every car has something done to them! You dont need the lightened parts. that optinal, i dont run any of the lightened parts and i race with losi associated all day long! The d8 is durable, your just another hater. ive broken 1 part on my d8 when i hit a pole at 40+ and it was a 3 dollar part.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Quote:
There was no beating tebo no matter what he ran. He was strait dialed in!
Everyone keeps saying this yet where was he when he switched away from Kyosho. Some cars and trucks suite some peoples driving styles better than others. i am not saying anyother is less of a product, but I am saying this company suites him and He knew it and now it shows. He did not beat club racers he beat champions running what they are use to winning with, Get what you like, what you are comfortable with and what suites your driving style(maybe what irratates your buddies the most...J/K)
Team Byrons Racing Fuels
pntmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #22
Tech Regular

any of the top cars mentioned will work and be great , just go with ya gut feeling and wat you can eazzzly get parts for in your area. when ya do pick and buy a car , put ya whole heart into making it work and dont let any thoughts of (oh i bought the wrong car ) come in to ya head or you will have already lost.

and to say this car or that car won the worlds , so lets buy it , i dont agree with . all the tops cars at this level are great and what the team drivers are running , i dout much on the car is what you can buy off the shelf . think about it, if i owned a rc car company and machine shop . would i settle for the same stuff the public get , nah i would spend what ever and build what ever to win .just my 2 cents, good luck with it

c/F SC10 -- C/f MS MBX"carbon-R" -- c/f nitro-kart
sly6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default not bad at all.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james90 View Post
by my side, quite a number of mate using xray 808 2010 spec... how is the performance from urs view?
I have been racing my 808 for about 3 years now. Its a really great buggy, It jumps great, it's light, fast, and the easiest buggy to work on, period.

It could use a bit more suspension travel, like the mugen, but if you use the right pistons and oil it works great. You can use the same setup on smooth indoor tracks as the outdoor bumpy tracks, high to low traction too.

I've worked on and driven the Mugen mbx6 and it's also a great buggy, I like it's overall package, but the curved ring and pinion gears aren't my favorite, and the metal rusts easily on the gears.

I worked on and drove the team associated buggy and it's really easy to drive, excellent steering response, and feel, not my favorite to work on though, and the clutch is sub par....not a deal breaker.....

The losi buggy is really inspiring on the track, and racers seem to love them, but I see too many parts break, and wear out at the track and when I drove one for a few months while dialing it in for a friend.

I really like the durango, but it's not out yet, but the attention to detail looks really good on that car, I hope the parts are reasonable.

The serpent is another hot looking buggy, haven't driven it or wrenched on it, but the parts look too expensive in my opinion.....that could change in time though.

The hot bodies D8. I have no experience with that buggy, but the price is right, and the parts are inexpensive too. With the expense of racing it's nice to see a competitive buggy for such a great price....

The Kyosho has been a great buggy in all it's incarnations. Pricey, but smooth and dialed. I am not suprised to see Tebo win with it. and the new body looks killer.......I ran Kyosho from the original inferno to the 777, but I don't own an mp9.....

I hope this helps....
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to james90

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I have been racing my 808 for about 3 years now. Its a really great buggy, It jumps great, it's light, fast, and the easiest buggy to work on, period.

It could use a bit more suspension travel, like the mugen, but if you use the right pistons and oil it works great. You can use the same setup on smooth indoor tracks as the outdoor bumpy tracks, high to low traction too.

I've worked on and driven the Mugen mbx6 and it's also a great buggy, I like it's overall package, but the curved ring and pinion gears aren't my favorite, and the metal rusts easily on the gears.

I worked on and drove the team associated buggy and it's really easy to drive, excellent steering response, and feel, not my favorite to work on though, and the clutch is sub par....not a deal breaker.....

The losi buggy is really inspiring on the track, and racers seem to love them, but I see too many parts break, and wear out at the track and when I drove one for a few months while dialing it in for a friend.

I really like the durango, but it's not out yet, but the attention to detail looks really good on that car, I hope the parts are reasonable.

The serpent is another hot looking buggy, haven't driven it or wrenched on it, but the parts look too expensive in my opinion.....that could change in time though.

The hot bodies D8. I have no experience with that buggy, but the price is right, and the parts are inexpensive too. With the expense of racing it's nice to see a competitive buggy for such a great price....

The Kyosho has been a great buggy in all it's incarnations. Pricey, but smooth and dialed. I am not suprised to see Tebo win with it. and the new body looks killer.......I ran Kyosho from the original inferno to the 777, but I don't own an mp9.....

I hope this helps....
tq for ur information...
i tink i shud go for xray.. =>
Sanwa M11X
james90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #25
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
I was looking a Jesse's car in Alabama and his appeared to be pretty much stock. The only thing that I noticed that was light weight was the chassis.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin32j View Post
I was looking a Jesse's car in Alabama and his appeared to be pretty much stock. The only thing that I noticed that was light weight was the chassis.
light weight everything, Ive heard.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
No, do you think any of those cars are stock? None of them are. Every car has something done to them! You dont need the lightened parts. that optinal, i dont run any of the lightened parts and i race with losi associated all day long! The d8 is durable, your just another hater. ive broken 1 part on my d8 when i hit a pole at 40+ and it was a 3 dollar part.
Hahaha, no no no - in order to get your ride on the level of tessmens you need all the upgrades all the stronger parts and all the light parts. Seen with my own two eyes. And I have seen more stock HBs break than losi or mugen. Im setting my sons D8 per factory team specs and it is 60 less than a losi when its all said and done. Not hating but keep it real, its the world champ but the one that won the worlds and the one that comes in a box is different. Call and talk to HPI, they will gladly tell you.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
It had all the aftermarket parts.....CVD's, center shafts, tower, longer rear shocks...etc. The body was stock...
Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #29
Tech Master

You can't go wrong with any of them. I've had the Losi, drove the D8, also have a MBX6 and now have a Serpent. All of them have pros and cons....it really depends on your driving style.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I'm not saying it isn't but that is what I saw. I know for sure he was running the stock drive shafts. I didn't notice if he had the light weight diff cups or not. As far as the stock stuff being weak...I have yet to break anything on my car with the exception of a servo saver in 2 years and it is stock. The servo saver broke because I caught a pipe in a s turn at full throttle. If I would have had my old Mugen it would have destroyed the front end of the car.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote